MX basket case bike resuscitation

enjoythesilenc

Wiring harness stuff. Prototype bike has harness (Delphi) 2100741-01 Rev 3. My working bike was built about 150 bikes after the prototype and has a different harness (2100741-04)

If I compare -01 harness to the pinout shown here Battery Pack Disassembled (Frustrating Weekend) (which may or not be -04 but is similar to the harness on my working bike), I see a few differences.

1. The twisted pair green and white from the display pigtail runs to the ACM in -01. That twisted pair runs to the DCCP in -04, so the DCCP cube connector is different between harnesses. 8 pins vs 6 pins.

2. In harness -01, the red wire from the DCCP pigtail goes to pin 2E in the ACM connector while the red wire from the throttle pigtail goes to pin 4E. In harness -04 these two red wires are vice versa: DCCP red to pin 4E, throttle red to 2E.

3. Key pigtail on -01 only has 2 wires and ACM pin 1A is unoccupied. In Marks pinout, key has a third wire going to 1A.

I know that this a pretty dry story to read through but I'm definitely learning from all the help I'm getting here.:cool:

On a more interesting note i have to wonder why somebody in las vegas has what looks to be an R pack bike harness in a state of undress Alta Motorcycle Wire Harness | eBay :unsure: Somebody snap it up before it expires or gets thrown away!

enjoythesilenc

Still tinkering with the bike and pulled the motor. Fukuta from Taiwan , I believe. FUKUTA ELEC. & MACH. CO, LTD. 20200604_160740.jpg

I think its considered a permanent magnet synchronous motor or pmsm. I counted 6 magnets in there and it looks like there are 36 teeth on the stator. 20200512_092850.jpg

The position sensor sits bolted to one end. The microchip is made in Austria Position Sensors | ams20200604_161249.jpg

Is there a button battery on the end of the motor shift that whirls in proximity to the square chip centered on the circuit board? 20200604_160932.jpg

The wiring has a green and white pair but I don't think its a can bus node, is it?

enjoythesilenc

I was doing a little Tesla research and find that Fukuta supplied some motor components to Tesla so maybe that's the connection to Alta via Tesla.

This little motor at Fukuta looks a lot like our Alta motors

Screenshot (4).png

gewoontim

I also got an Alta motor from a forum member and trying to drive it with a Bamocar D3. I think there are 2 magnets in the axle which are secured with the big nut at the end. The chip responds to the +/- of the magnets and know position from the magnetic field.

I don't know how to remove the magnets and nut, but I suppose I should remove the nut (with a air impact wrench or something)? Anyone has more info on this?

Jared

Every pcba has a bootloader. So unless your playing with the parts...I dont see the rationalization of your post.

(For the sake of the OP, you should take your comments to another post.)
Who has the bootloader unlock codes? Did Alta have to request them from the pcba manufacturers on some kind of token basis? I’m assuming the pcba’s were tested at the io level before delivery...

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Who has the bootloader unlock codes? Did Alta have to request them from the pcba manufacturers on some kind of token basis? I’m assuming the pcba’s were tested at the io level before delivery...

BRP.

Alta had certain PCBA MFGs to have that bootloader option available. But they were pretty locked down by the software team.

enjoythesilenc

I wonder how many inoperable bikes are out there. Last time I checked Liquid had 8 motor/bulkhead assemblies available. It sounds like motophyllic has one and I obviously have one.

That makes at least ten possible additional Altas to add to the finite population. Finding more bikes will only increase the value of finding a solution to the software issues.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I wonder how many inoperable bikes are out there. Last time I checked Liquid had 8 motor/bulkhead assemblies available. It sounds like motophyllic has one and I obviously have one.

That makes at least ten possible additional Altas to add to the finite population. Finding more bikes will only increase the value of finding a solution to the software issues.

There may be mechanical parts but there are not enough electronics to go around....

Jared

There may be mechanical parts but there are not enough electronics to go around....
I was hoping BRP would offer their electric go cart or electric street bike with electronics and drivetrain derived from the Alta and Alta owners would be able to buy compatible parts from them, but so far those vehicles are just prototypes.

enjoythesilenc

Current options, none of them good:unsure:
1. wait for individual modules to pop up for sale

2. work outside of the ALta biosphere somehow. It could never perform like oem but I could live with a top speed 50% of oem as long as low speed characteristics are good.

A. use oem motor with another controller. First question, can the motor be utilized at lower voltages? Would it need to be rewound and/or have bigger phase wires attached?

- low voltage would make it easier to make a working battery and there are a handful of controllers as possibilities
-if high voltage mandatory, there are a few more expensive controllers listed by wwmotors upthread that may be options:

Motor control
https://drivetraininnovation.com/hv-500-air-cooled/
UniTek Industrie Elektronik GmbH - BAMOCAR D3 (eng)

B. use oem motor and oem igbt/inverter brick controlled by an aftermarket "brain" File:Wiring.png - openinverter.org wiki

enjoythesilenc

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make a working inverter, I have the OEM board about 25% reverse engineered (pwm circuit)

Another huge hurdle looming is unlocking the battery. I hope that it will be possible to utilize CAN messages to convince the battery its ok to feed voltage to the inverter and to drink juice from the charger. Anybody interested in helping to reverse engineer the CAN?

I'm slowly walking down the path but as I go I am gaining knowledge and momentum. I'm also realizing how long the list of things to do will be. The horizon keeps moving away from me but I have nothing to lose and am really enjoying the process:ricky:

enjoythesilenc

Of I could only get a grbl of the board/s id give it a shot. Probably helps to have a working unit.

I'm an electronics layman, i'm starting to gather that you are not? I have read the term "gerber" in conjunction with circuit board design? Is this what your post pertains to? All I know about gerber is the baby food and the sweet pocket knife I have20210415_082446.jpg

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I'm an electronics layman, i'm starting to gather that you are not? I have read the term "gerber" in conjunction with circuit board design? Is this what your post pertains to? All I know about gerber is the baby food and the sweet pocket knife I have
Not “gerber”. He clearly said “gerbil”. Gerbils are integral to the design and manufacture of small integrated circuits, since they have tiny little hands that can work on intricate electronics. They can hold the little soldering irons and TIG welders necessary to make most of our modern electronic equipment. Gerbils are to electronics what squirrels once were to mechanical horsepower, at least before dinosaur juice was discovered. Gerbils are the main reason China dominates the current electronics market, since they have access to an army of Mongolian gerbils. Sure, we have chipmunks in the US, but they have never been certified for electronic work, and they tend to stuff the components in their cheeks. OSHA has a shit-fit about keeping tools and heavy metals in your mouth during the manufacturing process. They can get away with that kind of thing in Chyna, of course, which gives them another economic advantage in the high-tech market.

1618502722609.jpg

Robinhood

I was talking About a Gcode to print the circuit board so that one can soldier smd components to it and complete the Alta ecosystem. There’s got to be files of shit like this that was sent to pcb manufacturers in China for mass production.