MSC Engineering YZ conversion vs Alta

Mark911

A short video of my YZ conversion going head-to-head with our own Bryan Haskell on one of his Altas. The Alta is the benchmark for electric moto so the comparison was enviable. Being down 7-10hp against the Alta (map 4), the outcome was also quite enviable. However, I've still got a few tricks that'll make it closer next time . . . . . And of course, a drag race is strictly a show of power, there are many other factors to be considered in the final analysis. That said, power is a big one!

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
A short video of my YZ conversion going head-to-head with our own Bryan Haskell on one of his Altas. The Alta is the benchmark for electric moto so the comparison was enviable. Being down 7-10hp against the Alta (map 4), the outcome was also quite enviable. However, I've still got a few tricks that'll make it closer next time . . . . . And of course, a drag race is strictly a show of power, there are many other factors to be considered in the final analysis. That said, power is a big one!

Clearly the Alta won, but that was closer than I expected.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I'm 190lbs + 265lbs for the EXR. How much do you and the bike weigh, Mark?

Got a chance to ride Mark's bike and it's comparable to Map 2 on the Alta but with more snappy torque way down low. The Alta does a great job with part throttle modulation and making the power deliver at all throttle positions very predictable.

The bike is super cool. It's like seeing a true modern "works" bike like you'd see back in the 80's - almost completely custom bikes with one-off machined parts, carbon fiber etc.

Beyond that, one of the coolest parts (punn intended) is Mark's water cooling setup for the modified Alta battery modules. It uses cooling plates sandwiched between each module and piped up to 1 of the stock radiators on the yz125. Mark's battery stays below 40*C even after a rider like me ripped around on it, and also stayed cool while charging. This method of battery cooling would be perfect for my Altas, especially in the summer in SoCal. I do run into thermal issues from time to time right now. Just a little worried how much weight that would add to the already chubby bike.

Mark911

More video added to my original post. This time head-to-head against one of my personal Altas ridden by Matt Cerami. Matt's very familiar with the Alta having practiced and raced the Alta in the Pro class on several occasions. Conditions were quite different from those with Bryan Haskell, being very loamy and loose this time. Thanks to Manny Gasper (Gasper Racing/Fasthouse) for letting us use his property to test.