Most Common Parts to Replace

NW Velo

I am relatively new to the Alta Family since picking up a 2018 EX a few months back. What would be great to hear from those members that have put on some significant miles, what they feel would be the list of most important replacement pieces to have on hand? There’s going to be a point when parts become harder to come by so if a person were to find a resource, what would you fill your tool box with so we can continue to enjoy these incredible bikes for many years to come?

bluefxstc

I have a little over 5,000 miles on my bike and have done almost nothing except tires and a little gear lube. If something Alta proprietary breaks, there seems to be enough parts and knowledge through this site to fix everything. I haven't heard of a bike being permanently broken at this point. Almost everything else on the bike, suspension, brakes, bars, wheels..., is readily commercially available.

snydes

Staff member
Ditto on above. I'd say if anything I'd keep a spare front swingarm chain slider and also one of the lower front sliders. One of our members had created an aftermarket front slider that you can find the info for HERE and on eBay. You can also get the lower HERE. Most of us have some spare plastic that you can get from Liquid Performance either directly through our representative here ayden_kry or through their eBay store. Probably get a subframe, rear fender and side panels if you are feeling enthusiastic. Most of us have more spares than we probably will really ever need though...

Jayfox911

I bought a screen protector and a spare throttle since if those break it can stop you from riding for the day/weekend.
Also spare shrouds and rear number plates you should probably get.

wwmotors

The best bike , I ever had: After 5000 Klicks only MX-riding on my MXR, I changed a few tyres front and rear, 1 complete chainset, 1 chaingard rear, 1 frontfenderholder, geroilchange every 40 hours. Thats it.

F451

For spares for my '18 MXR, I purchased:
  • rear fender
  • rear side panels/number plates
  • throttle
I was considering buying a sub-frame, but am instead leaning towards installing a modded KTM sub-frame if I ever destroy my current sub-frame.

Edit: I may have purchased the front shrouds too, can't remember, Lol.

B. FRANK

I think I may have tweaked my throttle tube installing new grips, throttle doesn't want to return but housing returns freely when loosened. can anyone tell me which of the 3 different alta throttles from liquid I need for my sm(I hate buying wrong parts). also what's up with the throttle housing screws, they are factory stripped and I managed to get one loose and cannot retighten it. is this their way of saying don't go there? I will drill them out and install real useable screws.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I think I may have tweaked my throttle tube installing new grips, throttle doesn't want to return but housing returns freely when loosened. can anyone tell me which of the 3 different alta throttles from liquid I need for my sm(I hate buying wrong parts). also what's up with the throttle housing screws, they are factory stripped and I managed to get one loose and cannot retighten it. is this their way of saying don't go there? I will drill them out and install real useable screws.

This is the throttle you need for the SM: THROTTLE, HALL EFFECT, HIRSCHMANN, 65 DEG, CONNECTORIZED 2102308-03 - These are meant for SM, they have a slightly longer throttle tube, but can be modified to fit the Alta variants that do not use the -04)

We did not strip the screws (seriously!?) those are security fasteners which came with the throttle.

B. FRANK

thanks everyone, like a jerk I approached my alta as if it were a (normal) motorcycle and loosened the wrong screw and now I cannot retighten it. the throttle housing screws (2) are of a type that apparently should not be removed but an idiot(me) will find a way, and I did! ordering new throttle from liquid.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
thanks everyone, like a jerk I approached my alta as if it were a (normal) motorcycle and loosened the wrong screw and now I cannot retighten it. the throttle housing screws (2) are of a type that apparently should not be removed but an idiot(me) will find a way, and I did! ordering new throttle from liquid.
Well, now that it is apart, at least post some pics!

Butch

Poseur
I just broke off the port (left) side number plate while trying to turn the bike. I could not back up cause the swingarm/ mudflap/ tire was jammed with adobe. Serious clay and straw that caused the mudflap to invert when backing up.

anyhow... is the port number plate readily available? Maybe put this in the list.