Mortch E-motos and YZ250F Conversion

bayodome

I recently found this company on FB. They're a Chinese manufacturer making their own knock-off styled e-bikes as well as a YZ250F conversion that they're still working on.

The unique thing here is that the Mortch motor is a manual four speed with a clutch. Curious what everyone's thoughts are. The power output is only 3kw with peak output at 12kw which is not a lot, but with the clutch and gears, perhaps it's decent...? I don't know.

Since I have a YZ250F that I'd like to convert, I've been in touch with the owner to learn more. He can supply the battery as well, but seems to think it's either better or easier to have the battery made Stateside. I'm very interested but definitely super skeptical as well.

Obviously the doc below needs a little help on the translation.

123059932_663872571228749_3614028789160447996_n.jpg

Here's the complete MXE-011:

123710503_2774836732783285_4322960610956493117_o.jpg

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Typically, electric motors do not need gears. The only ones that do need gears have undesirable torque characteristics, such as a flat torque curve.

I think a bicycle power in a full-size bike would be very boring. I would talk to @DonCox if you want to electrify your YZ250F.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I recently found this company on FB. They're a Chinese manufacturer making their own knock-off styled e-bikes as well as a YZ250F conversion that they're still working on.

I think he would get more power out of the setup if he swapped out the muffler! It is obviously too restrictive for all of those electrons to flow freely. ;)

mr.skywalker

I was interested in that motor for an electric conversion until I read about some people who used it. Apparently its notchy and hard to shift, etc. Dont think of it as a regular trans, its more like a range selector on 4wd, you set it for a certain type of ride and stop to make the change when the you need. Also as it states, really low rated for power and who knows what the trans could actually tolerate

bayodome

I was interested in that motor for an electric conversion until I read about some people used it. Apparently its notchy and hard to shift, etc. Dont think of it as a regular trans, its more line a range selector on 4wd, you set it for a certain type of ride and stop to make the change when the you need. Also as it states, really low rated for power and who knows what the trans could actually tolerate

Interesting and strange. Yeah, it doesn't seem that robust.

DonCox

Typically, electric motors do not need gears. The only ones that do need gears have undesirable torque characteristics, such as a flat torque curve.

I think a bicycle power in a full-size bike would be very boring. I would talk to @DonCox if you want to electrify your YZ250F.
Thanks Phillip. My friend from KTM sent me pictures of a similar motor from China. But you are right, a SurRon has more power than this motor.
Gear Box 200 KIT
But China will have something soon, with way more power and no 4 speeds, if they are making this.

bayodome

This guy converted his Ninja into an electric bike using the 4-speed electric motor. Gets 200 miles to a charge and goes 90mph. He does say it's notchy shifting and you actually have to completely let off the throttle to switch gears but otherwise it seems to work pretty well.

Kawasaki is working on a 4 speed e-motorcycle, so I think geared emotos still might have a place in the world.
Kawasaki's upcoming electric motorcycle gets an official name, and we get a fresh look - Electrek

testus191

I've got a 2007 KX250F I'm planning to use the gearbox on with an electric motor in place of the crank. Will go with a clutch setup as well a setup that does not use the clutch but incorporates an "electronic clutch". Should be a fun project for proof of concept, then the plan is to design a two to three speed gearbox depending on if the theory works. Sevcon controller and programming software is obtained and I have full access to CNC capabilities at work. House remodel is taking up all my time currently as well as "planning" a wedding haha

DonCox

Welcome to the forum testus191. This is a great forum for all things "Electric Motorcycles". I am kind of new to this forum also, but everyone offers so much info and you can learn so much in all the different parts of the forum.
I don't have an Alta, but have built 4 or 5 different Electric Moto bikes. My KTM 450SX bike has been thru a lot of iterations, motors, controllers, batteries and frames. I started in 2010 with a 1.5KW motor off a Nuclear Medicine gantry. Burnt that up! Went to ME0909 motor, and burnt up the homemade IGBT controller. Went to a Kelly controller, and the AGM batteries sucked. Went to a 48V 40AH Lithium Prismatic cells, that gave me 400A for my 200A motor. Melted the brushes off that motor. I couldn't register the frame so started with a new frame KTM 250SX, a new motor ME1004 (can handle 400A) same Kelly controller, and battery system. Someone in Colorado bought the old bike, with new brushes in the old motor. The new bike, frame , ME1004 motor, Kelly controller, and good battery pack is still running. It has been on most of the tracks in So Cal. And a lot of people have had a chance to ride it.
I built a 2003 Yamaha YZ with the ME0909 motor and a YZ85 gearbox. Never worked real well. Gearbox didn't work well with an electric motor without a clutch. A company in China makes a motor /gearbox. Go to this Forum topic on this Forum Mortch E-motos and YZ250F Conversion . This talks all about it.
Short story to current, I am just finishing up my 2008 YZ, ME1302 motor, battery similar to the ALTA in current and AH 84V 630A Sony VTC6 cells (420 of them) and a Kelly controller KLS 72701. I've had it out to a few tracks, and I'm getting the controller dialed in. Important note, with the motors and controllers, and batteries that are out there, you don't need the gearbox, just a primary gear reduction , and chain gear reduction to the rear wheel. With my motor at 4000 to 5000RPM, about a total reduction of 7 to 1, motor to wheel is all you need.
Look at the ALTA as a bench mark, that power and battery on any modern dirt bike and you will have a fun toy.
Good luck with your project

enjoythesilenc

The unique thing here is that the Mortch motor is a manual four speed with a clutch. Curious what everyone's thoughts are. The power output is only 3kw with peak output at 12kw which is not a lot, but with the clutch and gears, perhaps it's decent...? I don't know.

Since I have a YZ250F that I'd like to convert, I've been in touch with the owner to learn more. He can supply the battery as well, but seems to think it's either better or easier to have the battery made Stateside. I'm very interested but definitely super skeptical as well.

Obviously the doc below needs a little help on the translation.

Here's the complete MXE-011:

123710503_2774836732783285_4322960610956493117_o.jpg
go check out the banshee storm! maybe its not that far from you?
https://naticycle.com/ols/all?page=1&sortOption=descend_by_price

F451

I might just have to do that. It has the same motor in that smaller frame. I'd be amazed if they have one in stock to try out be worth getting in touch. Thanks!

Bayo, as a former/fellow east coaster, born in the Bronx, raised in North NJ, I'm counting on you to go see this Kolter Banshee thing and take it for a test ride. And report back to us immediately. Like before you drive home. Lol.

bayodome

Bayo, as a former/fellow east coaster, born in the Bronx, raised in North NJ, I'm counting on you to go see this Kolter Banshee thing and take it for a test ride. And report back to us immediately. Like before you drive home. Lol.

Haha! I am on the case! I'm actually in Central Jersey now (even though my profile still says Brooklyn), so that shop will be much easier to get to.

I know that one of the companies making those 4-speed motors is now working on a 5kw version, up from the 3kw unit that I believe is on the Banshee. Perhaps that will have the power we're all looking for.

F451

Haha! I am on the case! I'm actually in Central Jersey now (even though my profile still says Brooklyn), so that shop will be much easier to get to.

I know that one of the companies making those 4-speed motors is now working on a 5kw version, up from the 3kw unit that I believe is on the Banshee. Perhaps that will have the power we're all looking for.

Right on Bayo, some beautiful parts of NJ out there. And 5kw with a 4 sp tranny, sounds interesting.

Top Bottom