More Honda Mugen pictures

Fog 25

.....Funny how pics surface just when the big meeting in France is mentioned!.

DonCox

VitalMX had some more info on the Honda Mugen. I think they need to send A J Catanzaro over to compare and test.
Here's Cantanzaro on the ALTA
Here is a Japanese rider on the Mugen

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Man, every announcement of a potentially new upcoming electric bike is just a reminder of how truly ahead of the times Alta Motors was.... this is the best a major company like Honda can come up with? To be fair this likely isn't Honda motor corp, rather Mugen who i believe is a small part of Honda.

bayodome

Three years and such little development. At least one of the major OEMs is showing some interest in Emotos but, oh, what could've been. If Alta had stayed afloat, their success would've applied continuous pressure to the established manufacturers to step up their game, just like Tesla's effect on the auto industry. In that scenario, we'd be in the midst of an EMX/Emoto revolution. Instead we're here on an obscure forum dedicated to a discontinued motorcycle speculating about a machine that may never leave the prototype phase.
:muutt:

Warren

Bike looks good 👀. But sorry Mugen/Honda bike looks weak .Wheels on ground test rider looks like he need rode a outdoor motocross track before. Maybe just maybe 🤔 he told not to break it….. but wait he did break it , as push it off the track . Oh I’m sure in three four year’s they leave KTM Freeride power and maybe get that Watercooled tease up to Alta Redshift Power.

bayodome

It's been quite a few years now of teasing this bike. Enough that the once red anodized Mugen case cover is beginning to fade and look a little sad. Just release the bike already, Honda! You'll sell a gazillion of them!

Reactions: #76

Number Six

Full sized dual radiators ?
There's no combustion ..
Do these controllers / motors / batteries run so hot that the same cooling capacity of an ICE bike is needed ?

Number Six

With a fast rider on it, yes.

If that's the case, I'd wonder what Stark has figured out that Honda hasn't given the comparison of radiator sizes & locations.
Or did Honda just go with an existing configuration for their experiment & have more cooling than needed at the expense of weight & radiator vulnerability ?

happyinmotion

I've got to disagree on this one.

Cooling loads on electric are very much lower because end-to-end efficiencies are so much higher. If a bike is putting down 35 kW at the wheel and it's electric at 85% overall then it needs to dump 6 kW of heat. If that bike is petrol at 25% then it needs to dump 105 kW of heat. Hence radiators are always going to be bigger.

(Ok, petrol bikes also dump heat directly off the engine & through exhaust gases but even if that's half the heat loss, then radiators are always going to be bigger.)