Monster Energy Cup Las Vegas - Oct 13th 2018

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Grab your seats for the only Supercross race for one million dollars on October 13th inside Sam Boyd Stadium in fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada!

The Monster Energy Cup is no ordinary race, and once the sun goes down and the lights click on at Las Vegas’ Sam Boyd Stadium, the surprises and excitement are nonstop. The event has filled a void in the American racing off-season for seven years now and has yet to disappoint. The headlining Cup Class features the world’s best racers on a single stage competing for $1 million, but you also get a chance to see the stars of the future when the Amateur All-Stars, Supermini, and KTM Junior Supercross Challenge riders take to the dirt.

530871.jpg

Cup Class

The Monster Energy Cup features three main events, and anyone who can win all three races will receive a massive paycheck: $1 million, by far the largest single-event paycheck in two-wheeled racing. Think that’s impossible? Just ask Ryan Villopoto or Marvin Musquin, both of whom have taken that check home. And even if there’s no sweep, the overall winner still nets $100,000. Not bad for a night’s work.

530872.jpg

Monster Energy Cup | Supercross Live

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
That race(s) was exciting. I was rooting for Tomac through out the 3 races. Up to the time JS17 pulled over & let him by on the last lap.
I understand the move, I just felt let down.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I think it went great. I was so nervous during the last race, watching Tomac being stuck behind Anderson, then Stewart, then making quick passes on all other guys, then ending up 3 seconds behind his teammate with 2 laps to go. I did not want to see any more white knuckle racing down to the last turn between the two teammates. I felt joy and relief when Savatgy did that. Very smart move.

Speedkills

My wife and I were going back and forth wondering if they were told not to say anything because nobody during the main event commented on it. From the looks of that video they have been told not to say anything, funny though.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently, it is against the AMA rules to not race for the win. I should find and read exactly what it says. This was not an AMA event, but maybe they didn't want to confirm what they did anyway.

This may also explain why Musquin had to lie into the microphone last year after he took a dive to let Dungey win.

snydes

Staff member
If I was Joey I would have done the same thing, he proved he could hang with the big boys, probably shouldn't have actually waved Eli by though... I'd bet Eli threw some money his way after the fact. I'm sure Monster wasn't too happy with them though, sucks for them being it's their riders :LOL:

Eli better not bring up the Musquin/Dungey incident anymore, nobody likes a hypocrite!

snydes

Staff member
Haha! They were probably like... damn... there go out two million dollars. Can we not pay them somehow?

LOL! Good point.
I just got talking with a buddy who has an industry insider and Savatgy got REAMED for that move. Allegedly there are a lot of unhappy people right now... except for that fan dude, I think he’s pretty stoked.

snydes

Staff member
His error was in making it so obvious. He should have just faked a bobble in a turn or something instead of slowing down and pointing the way to Eli. Wouldn’t have been as big of a deal ordinary but their sponsor had to write out 2 million dollars worth of checks because of it!

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I was in the VIP section behind the start gate all night. When I saw Joey waved Eli by my first thought was he probably did it back there so as to go unnoticed. My second thought was I hope the TV didn't catch that. Sure enough, it was out there in plain view.

Joey should have just struggled through the sand section or something and made it way less obvious. He had proven that he had the speed to lead (albeit without some other big names at the event). The blatant wave by is no good for anyone involved, including Monster. But you have to feel for Joey being in that position. Think about how much pressure from all angles he had in that moment.