Mileage and Range Expectations

autohog

Hello gentlemen, this battery Co is very interesting and I think may be worth exploring for an alternative energy source.

enjoythesilenc

Just as an update to this thread. I have been averaging 17 miles per ride in mostly maps 1 and 2, from full to dead.
Are these 12 mph rides? 90 minutes?

I had an interesting day at a charity trail ride. I got the typical 'how long does the battery last?' question. There is no good answer to this question.

As for me, the trail was a 10 mph affair so my bike would have lasted about 2.5 to 3 hours at my pace. I think it was a 180W/mile ride. (converts to 1800W/hr or 300 W/minute)

If i did my math right, i'm a 2.4 horsepower trail rider at that particular property. (I think mark wrote that pro motocross riders are 19 hp riders, burning through a full battery in 24 minutes)

When answering "The Question", is it impolite to reply "how much do you weigh and how big are your b@//s?"

synics

Are these 12 mph rides? 90 minutes?

I had an interesting day at a charity trail ride. I got the typical 'how long does the battery last?' question. There is no good answer to this question.

As for me, the trail was a 10 mph affair so my bike would have lasted about 2.5 to 3 hours at my pace. I think it was a 180W/mile ride. (converts to 1800W/hr or 300 W/minute)

If i did my math right, i'm a 2.4 horsepower trail rider at that particular property. (I think mark wrote that pro motocross riders are 19 hp riders, burning through a full battery in 24 minutes)

When answering "The Question", is it impolite to reply "how much do you weigh and how big are your b@//s?"
No, I average faster on trails. This ride was slower because it was pretty tight and very wet and slippery, but rides look like this:

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
My first commute to work and back on my SMR was a HUGE FAILURE.

Picture below is the bike completely out of juice 6 miles before getting back home.

IMG_20220809_1954275.jpg

Out of the 40 miles that I needed to cover (20 miles each way) the bike only did 34 miles.

I cannot think of any possible changes that would increase my range reliably by the required 20-30%.

Today's commute:
Need to cover 20 + 20 = 40 miles
Average speed 50-55 mph
Tire pressure 26/26 psi
Gearing 14/45
What gives ?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
My first commute to work and back on my SMR was a HUGE FAILURE.

Out of the 40 miles that I needed to cover (20 miles each way) the bike only did 34 miles.

I cannot think of any possible changes that would increase my range reliably by the required 20-30%.

Today's commute:
Need to cover 20 + 20 = 40 miles
Average speed 50-55 mph
Tire pressure 26/26 psi
Gearing 14/45
What gives ?

When every I commute on my SM this what has ended up working:

Keeping in traffic and splitting accordingly , drafting a bit, and weirdly staying in map 1 (not as hard on the throttle then)
Also are you still running MXR maps or did you switch to SM on the inverter? That will definitely help on the street.

In relation to your commute and compared to the SM:
Avg speed - 40-45 miles (anything higher your draining your battery)
Tire pressure - 26 psi - stock tire pressure is 31 psi...
Gearing - stock SM gearing is 15 front 50 rear...

I am able to easily commute one way on one charge (since your a MXR you dont have an OBC...)

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
My commute is on rural two-lane highways. The speed limit is 55mph. The roads are pretty flat and straight, but the visibility is usually no farther than 1/8 of a mile. Riding below 45 mph is not an option. And if I do not maintain 50-55 mph, I will soon create a traffic backup behind me.

Map 1 or 2 deceleration is plentiful enough for the drive, so I usually do not need to use brakes. SM maps are not going to save me. A 31 psi tire pressure would help, but not by adding 20% to the range.

I can't plug in at work.

There are a couple of farmers that I know along the way. The bike doesn't have an OBC, so I would need to leave a charger with one of them. But stopping to add 2 kWh there would add 30-60 minutes of chicken and cow watching to my commute.

The only semi-interesting solution that I could think of is to park my motovan with its 14 kWh battery bank on the employee parking lot and add 2 kWh each time I am at work.

Instead of spontaneously jumping on the bike in the morning I would need to load the bike in the van and drive the van, so that I could ride the bike back home in the evening, and maybe the next morning, if it doesn't rain. Bleh. It is doable, but with so much prep work and prior planning, I hate to say it, but commuting on a gas bike would make a lot more sense. It's worth trying this a few times a year though, just for the sake of adventure.

I wish I could just slap a 2 kWh add-on battery on the side of my bike.

I wonder if the Varg would make 40 miles at 55 mph with its slightly bigger battery and bigger motor.

My towing bill today was $195. I should have asked Geico for roadside assistance coverage.

Oded

I would try Rashid's suggestion regarding the SM maps.
These maps have very mallow regeneration in maps 1 and 2, so you don't have to feed power the entire time, the bike cruise / flows much better.
It is also better for single tracks btw.

enjoythesilenc

Is there any restriction regarding what you can or cannot leave parked in the employee lot? Charging at work is the best solution. The ride will be way more fun if you can ride your motorcycle like a motorcycle

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any restriction regarding what you can or cannot leave parked in the employee lot? Charging at work is the best solution. The ride will be way more fun if you can ride your motorcycle like a motorcycle
You are right, I can buy some immobile junker for the price of towing it away. Tow it to the employee parking lot. Place a cheap and loud gas generator in it and park the bike next to it when I am at work.