Mileage and Range Expectations

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have a new hope! Just saw this this morning.

IMG_20220811_1144250.jpg

Unfortunately the security manager is on vacation for 1 week, so I won't have an update until then.

rayivers

Excellent! Now all you need is to find an opposite-polarity 120V outlet - hopefully in the same room - and make up a 240V cable. :) Just kidding... 120V is SO much better than nothing.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Can’t you just drive it into the building and plug it in at your desk or whatever? I have it on good authority that they fit through doors and your neighbors probably won’t even complain about exhaust fumes or noise. People do this with bicycles all the time.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Can’t you just drive it into the building and plug it in at your desk or whatever? I have it on good authority that they fit through doors and your neighbors probably won’t even complain about exhaust fumes or noise. People do this with bicycles all the time.
It might be difficult to wheelie the Alta through the rotating turnstile.

rayivers

Another thought... my generator enclosure has a 120V 20A convenience outlet for the block heater and charger, maybe that Kohler does too. Looks to me like that facility has plenty of significant electrical add-ons - if there's a maintanance supervisor etc. it might be worthwhile to buy him lunch someday. :)

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
IMG_20220824_1859283.jpg

This was my bike today, charging at work for the first time, and possibly last. The general manager of the facility decided to put an end to letting the Zero owner charge his bike. I am not sure what the reason is, but I will try to find out. I had to beg to let me charge my Alta so that I don't have to ride back home in a tow truck again.

bluefxstc

View attachment 8951

This was my bike today, charging at work for the first time, and possibly last. The general manager of the facility decided to put an end to letting the Zero owner charge his bike. I am not sure what the reason is, but I will try to find out. I had to beg to let me charge my Alta so that I don't have to ride back home in a tow truck again.
Is there any level 2 charging around where you work? If so you could build an adaptor pretty easily that would allow you to charge there with the onboard charger. It would also probably be 220Vac so it might charge faster. I don't know anything about the onboard charger for an SM.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any level 2 charging around where you work? If so you could build an adaptor pretty easily that would allow you to charge there with the onboard charger. It would also probably be 220Vac so it might charge faster. I don't know anything about the onboard charger for an SM.
Really? Oh! That's good to know! We have three different ChargePoint J1772 6.5 kW charging stations in town, and I also think they are free.

If I had an on-board charger, I could ride into town midday for a lunch.

The problem is that I do not have an on-board charger on my MXR.

Yeah... I will have to deal with all of this later. I am going away until late September, then I will have other things to worry about, and then winter will come. Either way, it seems like I won't be riding to work very often this year. It's really a bummer because the weather has been perfect for riding in August.