Member Map

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats to all Alta Owners! Last week our forum membership surpassed 100. Not a large number, but it will surely increase as Alta Motors keeps building and selling bikes.

With that in mind, I thought I would find a way to make it easier to locate other Alta owners nearby.

Introducing: Member Map.

It can be accessed via the forum's menu --> Members --> Member Map

1530409487544.png

1530409747320.png

Enjoy!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I just installed it and I am still figuring out how to make it work better. Right now I cannot see every member on the map, and I can't even see myself. Once I figure out how to make it work better, and I will post an update here.

Update after 2 days: More map pins popped up!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Meanwhile, I just added one more tool, also to locate members. It works slightly differently and produces more results:

Introducing: Member search

It can be accessed via the forum's menu --> Members --> Member Search

1530412181904.png

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Member Map uses IP addresses to display pins on the map, and those take a while to populate.

If you want to opt out of having your pin shown on the Member Map, you can log in on a computer using a full-size browser. Then you can mouse over your own pin, and the popup will have an option to opt out.

If you do not like the location of your map pin, then you will be able to mouse-drag your own map pin to whichever location you see appropriate.

Member Search works differently. It uses the information in your user profile. I recommend using a common post mail address format, such as City, State. This way others will be able to find you.

If you do not want to be found, then you can edit your profile and enter anything else for your location, such as "USA" or "in a van by the river".