lower chain slider

Bloak

As my MXR lower chain slider is showing wear, I started looking for alternatives.

I’ve been testing with KTM chain slider 79003053010. I also bought the KTM tie tod bolt (79004084000) but its to short, as not enough threads for the nut.
For the initial use, I tapped the Alta tie rod bolt (M8x1.25 if I remember correctly), added a spacer and bolted on the KTM slider.
Works well, no abnormal wear (3 motocross practice days on it so far)
As the slider is working well, I had a local machine shop fab up a new bolt for me, they made it a bit to long at both ends, so I will have that corrected.

Yesterday, test fitted rollers (Honda CRF450 rollers)
I may stick with the slider as it's working well, so the roller testing has been moved to a low priority.

slider.jpg

Tuner

Lower slider chain contact position is critical as it controls the maximum amount of chain slack deviation throughout the rear suspension travel.
Prototype Alta's were originally fitted with a lower roller. Unfortunately the roller and it's required location created an excessive amount of chain noise at speed.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Lower slider chain contact position is critical as it controls the maximum amount of chain slack deviation throughout the rear suspension travel.
Prototype Alta's were originally fitted with a lower roller. Unfortunately the roller and it's required location created an excessive amount of chain noise at speed.
So, aside from excessive noise, was it a better solution or were there other drawbacks? Any reason we should abandon the roller avenue...

Reactions: Fod

Tuner

So, aside from excessive noise, was it a better solution or were there other drawbacks? Any reason we should abandon the roller avenue...
The roller / chain contact point should be the same as that of the OE slipper / slider. Anything different will increase chain slack variations throughout the suspension travel, forcing one to run a much looser drive chain. To obtain the best overall roller geometry, we used a relocation bracket off of the forward dog-bone linkage bolt. The additional noise and added complexity being the disadvantage. Like everything else regarding production, the best overall compromise was implemented.

MSR Racing

Hallo
I am new here .
I have bought an used Alta In Germany , the Chain glides are ded so i try it with KTM parts .and repair one .

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg