Looking for recommendations

Matt

E-Rider
Hello all,

I have read through a majority of the posts for suspension after determining that I should really do something about mine. I haven't been too picky of a person when it comes to suspension but I liked how my last bike was set up a lot more than my Alta and hope to get some advise on getting it there. I have an 18 MXR for those who are not familiar and unfortunately have v1 of the rear suspension. The rear is too soft, way to soft. I adjusted everything to the most aggressive settings for the most part. Again I am not super familiar with setting up and adjusting suspension but this helped for sure. I am 6' and weigh about 150-155 without gear. I promently ride MX but also pretty regularly hit the trails and like to do technical single track at speed. There are a lot of roots and ruts up here in NY and I frequently ride rough terrain. I like to do the big jumps and would prefer a set up that takes big hits well but can deal with a set up that is just all around okay at everything. The front seems to be okay with the aggressive clicks but I regularly bottom the rear. The only thing I have liked the rear for so far is a rock garden I have blasted through a few times. Even then it wasn't great. I would probably consider myself a Novice/B rider. Any suggestions on what I should do? Would it be okay for me to revalve the rear and get a stiffer spring and leave the forks? The last set up I had was a 2016 250sx with a stiffer spring and the suspension set up for a 180 pound A rider. I loved that set up. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Here is the thread from almost a year ago with a bit of discussion on the good work from KTM World. They have now resprung and revalved four bikes for me with different target uses (ALTA EXR - dualsport, KTM 400XCW & ALTA MXR - single track & enduro racing, KTM 525 Rally - desert rally racing). All four are quite different and also greatly improved from stock. BTW, I am 6'-3" and 210 pounds so I definitely don't match the typical OEM rider criteria.

THREAD LINK: Perfect MX Suspension

Mikec265

I am pretty happy with my KTM World suspension. They sold me a 7.0 rear spring which only allows my 230 pound ass 2.5 inches of say before the spring rattles. It's still pretty good though, and I prefer too stiff over too soft. I wish I would have done the SSS conversion on the forks. Overall much better than stock in turns and jumps.

Motophyllic

I told them to set it up for enduro. I hope I picked the right style of riding. Maybe dual sport would’ve been better. I like to do a lot of trials type riding and woods crawling with some jumps mixed in.

snydes

Staff member
Hey Matt,
With exception to only a few guys I can think of off the top of my head, most of our members here farm out suspension work. KTM World being the most recommended so far. When I rode Phillip’s bike (KTM World suspension) out at your place it felt significantly better than my stock MXR, so I also will send them mine when I’m ready. If you are looking for DIY valving/set-up advice I’d check out Thumpertalks suspension forum. There are some guys there that really sounds like they know their stuff. Keep in mind the electric bike has unique requirements that most guys don’t yet understand, which is why most people are using KTM World since it seems they are ahead of the curve.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I like my KTM World suspension. I will keep experimenting with my two other MXRs, but the KTM World seems to be the best all-around suspension for me. It works on all tracks that I ride, including the Matt's Camp. I raced it in the 24hr Northeast challenge, and it worked great there as well.

I weigh 200 lbs and I run the stock rear spring and 155-165 psi in the fork. Anything stiffer for me is for supercross tracks only.

Motophyllic

Philip, have you tried a stiffer spring. KTM World told me mine were too soft. I hope they didn’t make it too stiff. I’m just about your weight too.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Philip, have you tried a stiffer spring. KTM World told me mine were too soft. I hope they didn’t make it too stiff. I’m just about your weight too.
Something must be wrong with the KTM World's records or spring calculator. Or maybe they are mixing their MX and MXR recommended spring rates (the MX does need at least a 66N/mm spring or stiffer). I have already mentioned this in my initial review. They also told me I needed a much stiffer spring and my 60N/mm spring was way too soft, but it is not. I tried a 63N/mm spring, and it was rideable, but only on smooth tracks with large jumps. At other tracks, and 200 lbs weight and with my B-rider skill level, a stiffer spring would prevent the suspension from moving fully. Also, stiffer springs always result in a loss of traction.

I see they sold you a stiffer spring (I can't tell the rate). So you will most likely have to return to the stock spring.

Motophyllic

Thanks Philip. I’m gonna call them tomorrow and see if they mixed something up. What do you think for trail riding? Stiffer spring would be worse?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
What do you think for trail riding? Stiffer spring would be worse?
Sorry I forgot, do you have an MXR? For trail riding the stock MXR spring is plenty stiff already for any rider who is below the A-level and under 250 lbs. An overly stiff spring would upset your flow. It will cost you traction. You'd have to stand all the time, which is okay if you are a fast rider and do it anyway, but most trail riders are not like that.

Motophyllic

No, this is on my EXR. I really don’t ride crazy fast. It’s for trails and woods riding. Traction is everything. I like rock hopping, logs, cliffs, occasional jumps. Really looking for a plush tractor in the woods.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
No, this is on my EXR. I really don’t ride crazy fast. It’s for trails and woods riding. Traction is everything. I like rock hopping, logs, cliffs, occasional jumps. Really looking for a plush tractor in the woods.
Yes, call them tomorrow. If they recommend any rear spring over 60 N/mm, they are way off. And let us know what springs they want to put in the front. I would probably start a new thread too, since it sounds like you may have a lot to say when you finally receive it.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Lower speed trails and trials type riding may warrant softer valving and a slightly softer spring than enduro (racing). However, you want to have a shock spring that will allow correct sag for a particular suspension design and rider weight or you won't be riding with the swingarm and rear wheel in the correct portion of the rear suspension travel (especially important with progressive, linkage type suspensions).

I'm out of town right now, but I'll look up the info on both of my KTM World ALTAs when I get back home and add it to the information mix. I know that I needed and got stiffer springs on both shocks and in the forks of the EXR, plus stiffer valving everywhere. I'm running 145 psi (10.0 bar) in the fork of the MXR for relatively fast trail riding. We set my bikes up for 245 pounds (rider + full gear + a few tools + full camelbak). I ride standing unless I'm on pavement (or in a MX type turn).

@TCMB371 started a thread in the early days to get a record of suspension settings and feedback, however it didn't collect many inputs. Maybe we should resurrect that idea. Here's the thread link:

THREAD LINK: AOF Suspension Setting Database

Motophyllic

KTM World insists that I at least try it first. They put a .50 Spring up front and a .63 in the rear. I’ll keep you posted on a new thread.

Rainmaker

Keep up the valuable feedback. Thank you all. I’m learning!
So far on my 2018 model EX for woods riding it got open chamber WP 48 forks from an older KTM with stiffer springs and better valving. Since then I’ve learned about a guy that does 4CS valving so I’ll come back to that later maybe. For the shock I simply got a stiffer spring. Now I’m in the ballpark but already noticed that even on map 1 the power is so strong that despite good sag preload numbers it spins the rear wheel too much in anything remotely wet or slippery whereas with the soft sag it hooked up better.
I’m no expert but it goes without saying (but I’ll say it anyway) that the electric torque is unique and may want extra fine tuning of rear shock preload in relation to getting traction and managing wheel-spin.
Maybe damping plays a part also but the only thing I changed rear was preload, so...