Local dealer says they’re still a service center

ugfish

I have a cycletrader alert set up for Altas and it just popped today as my local dealer just listed 5 new bikes ("Alta" in Inventory Triumph Motorcycles of Harrisonburg Harrisonburg, VA (540) 564-0990). They all had request price listed so I gave them a call and they quoted me back MSRP. I asked about the whole dissolving of Alta and if the bikes would be sold as-is and they responded with “the bikes will still have warranty and we are an authorized service center.”

Is this just a situation of my dealer not being informed or would they still be able to operate as an authorized service center if I needed support on my bike?

ugfish

I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can dig into it a bit more. I only spoke with them briefly as doors were shutting at 6 and didn’t want to hold up their closing process with a bunch of questions.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, they have 5 bikes listed though. So they may be in deeper water then they think, but that might let me score a bike at a deep discount... waiting game now.
I wouldn't count on that. They have 5 bikes because they haven't been lowering their prices, whereas everyone else was selling bikes at the invoice prices or below.

Some guys think that if they haven't sold it they haven't lost the profit that they expected. They might actually be right, if Alta comes back, or if they wait 2-3 years and there are still no electric KTMs or Yamahas available. My local dealer wanted to sell me their used demo for MSRP. They told me "Do you know we are one of only two Alta dealers in Michigan?"

If you really want a new bike then call around, find the best price, and ask your local dealer if he wants to match it. In my case they didn't. So I drove 3 hours to Ohio and picked up a bike there.

datadog

Most support/diagnosis, warranty or not, involves uploading data to a server and having engineering review it. I don't know that the server is available anymore, and there are no engineers to review it.