load / resistance spec for aux / 12v circuit

bluefxstc

It’ll probably be 50/50 with the light off/on. For the time the light is turned on, I worry about generating heat. I’ve spent so many hours trying to figure this out. I know someone out must have done this before.
I wouldn't worry about it. Put the switch inline with the 12 V power wire and see what happens. You are turning the load off so you shouldn't hurt anything. It is no different than the bulb burning out, you are breaking the circuit. . Worst case, you have to splice the wire to go back to original. Why do you want to turn the light off?

Motophyllic

It trips the circuit breaker on the bike when I flip the switch. Have to cycle the key to reset it. It’s going to need some kind of inrush current limiter. I’m surprised more people don’t want to turn the headlight off for various reasons. It’s like saying why would you want to turn the car headlights off 😄
Thanks for your help!!

datadog

The open circuit created by the switch may be triggering the breaker. It would require a key cycle to reset. If you could make the circuit continue doing work, maybe across a resistance similar to the light, it may work. I've never tried it.

Motophyllic

Datadog
I’m on to something here. Just need your opinion.
It appears there are separate breakers for high and low beam.
When I cut power to the low beam wire with an inline switch and then switch from high beam to low beam, it trips the breaker, BUT when I switch to high beam, the high beam comes on. It lets me essentially turn the headlight on/off with the high/low beam switch. Vise versa if I cut power to the high beam and switch to it.

My concern is, do you think It’ll be a problem running on highbeam with the low beam breaker tripped? Am I going to be creating some kind of unwanted heat or something I’m not thinking of.

datadog

I don't have that circuit diagram. However, I can't see it being an issue. If the low beam breaker is tripped and you switch to it, the power supply would not interrupt or change.

Interesting discovery on your part and something to take note of for owners of EX and SM models. Nice work.

Top Bottom