Left Side Sprocket Cover Gap Filler

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Some of you may recall my entry into the 2019/2020 wish list thread that talked about filling in the gap on the left boot guard, as seen in the picture below. I'm surprised other's haven't complained much about it because my left boot gets caught in that gap as least once every moto, especially when i ride on the balls of my feet. I must really squeeze the bike with my feet!

1536628802762.png

So since there doesn't seem to be any product out there that will fill this void, i decided I'm going to model up the part and 3d print it. I'll post my progress over the coming weeks.

Step 1: Modeling the bracket in Sketchup using accurate measurements via my caliper. I was going to model the entire bracket accurately, but i'm a noobie at sketchup and some of the curved faces are quite difficult to create. I focused on getting the mounting posts sized and oriented correctly in relation to eachother, as the part i make will attack using the stock mounting points. Here's where i'm at right now:

1536699895762.png

1536700041295.png

My plan right now is to use the bolt on the part of the bracket that connects to the swingarm "axle" as the fixture point, and then have it loop around the bottom mounting post behind the connecting faces of the bracket. The goal being to fill that void in the bracket, as illustrated above in the first picture.

How many of you guys would be interested in a product like this?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have never had problems with my left boot getting caught in there. But a few times, when trail riding usually, I felt buzzing vibrations in my left foot that were transmitted by the chain slider touching the boot. It feels as if the chain rubs against the boot, not very pleasant. If you could come up with something slim and under $100, I will buy it too.

I watched a couple of videos this morning about 3D printing. It sounds like the largest costs, besides the printer itself, are the time that it takes to design the part in CAD and the time that it takes to print every part. Time is cheap in China, so my business mind tells me that the manufacturing can be outsourced.

Alternatively, 3D printed parts make awesome plugs for injection molds. But this is only if the volumes can justify spending the money on the tooling. Simple parts sometimes be cast using gravity fed permanent molds. About ten years ago I designed a couple of these extrusion looking pieces. I had them cut out of plastic on a waterjet (3D printing would have also worked). Then sent them to a plastic molding company, they made molds out of them, and have been mass-producing these pieces for me ever since.

1537024834554.png

allesad

Wow, the current cover over engineered. TCMB371, we can start a private conversation to discuss. Happy to print a test part if you provide the .STL file.

Here the design issue(s), as I see them. (1) the current cover/bracket has embedded holes that need to concentric, not much room for error. A new cover w/stand off's will require longer bolts and could impact the function of the current design. (2) The current cover is curved...not sure if it's a constant curve or constant radius. Hard to measure. A flat cover would look odd.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Wow, the current cover over engineered. TCMB371, we can start a private conversation to discuss. Happy to print a test part if you provide the .STL file.

Here the design issue(s), as I see them. (1) the current cover/bracket has embedded holes that need to concentric, not much room for error. A new cover w/stand off's will require longer bolts and could impact the function of the current design. (2) The current cover is curved...not sure if it's a constant curve or constant radius. Hard to measure. A flat cover would look odd.

I have accounted for the offset of the 3 mounting posts + the swingarm pivot bracket in my sketchup model. Took a lot of measuring to get right!

I wasn't planning on printing an entirely new bracket, rather making a part that will attach to the current/stock bracket that closes up that gap. If i get the design right, it won't require any modification to the stock bracket and won't require new mounting hardware.

Fod

I am highly interested also. My left sidi boot has gotten caught multiple times...not every lap but every once in awhile when I land hard. My ankle gets stuck down and that is with ankle saver pegs. I dont understand though how my boot gets caught up in there if its so far forward. I am baffled on where as I thought it was catching the top of my boot above my top strap.

snydes

Staff member
I have never had problems with my left boot getting caught in there. But a few times, when trail riding usually, I felt buzzing vibrations in my left foot that were transmitted by the chain slider touching the boot. It feels as if the chain rubs against the boot, not very pleasant.

My wife rode my MXR for awhile yesterday and that was her first observation too. I never took notice myself.