Latest firmware update for SM/EX

Dolphinpeople

Does anybody know what the constant voltage should be for the rear tail light? The running light?

when I did the latest update to my SM the running light on the rear tail tidy (led) won’t stay running after startup. Signals still work and brake light still works.
New rage sent me a few different resister dongles. Every time there was an update the voltage changed and new rage sent me new dongles free of charge. (Great company) But nobody there knows what the voltage needs to be now.
If anybody here could help me out I’d be super appreciative. Need to get the bike inspected. I have the original tail setup and could just put that on, but I don’t want to keep splicing wires until there’s nothing left if I can help it.

it has the latest update with support for 220 charging.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Does anybody know what the constant voltage should be for the rear tail light? The running light?

when I did the latest update to my SM the running light on the rear tail tidy (led) won’t stay running after startup. Signals still work and brake light still works.
New rage sent me a few different resister dongles. Every time there was an update the voltage changed and new rage sent me new dongles free of charge. (Great company) But nobody there knows what the voltage needs to be now.
If anybody here could help me out I’d be super appreciative. Need to get the bike inspected. I have the original tail setup and could just put that on, but I don’t want to keep splicing wires until there’s nothing left if I can help it.

it has the latest update with support for 220 charging.

What does multi tool show? It should have a read out showing all the 12V signals.

Also how much splicing has occurred on the rear lighting harness?

Dolphinpeople

I have spliced in dongles on two different occasions. It was the same splice each time just replaced dongle with a new one.
I can pull it apart and test it with the multi tool, but just wanted to know if someone knew what the voltage was supposed to be before I pulled it apart. So I can just open up splice it in and be done. New rage can make me a new dongle. Just need the voltage.

I still have the original tail light and can just put the bullet connectors back on the wires I spliced the dongle into. Put it back like stock. Just with slightly shorter wires.

Dolphinpeople

What does multi tool show? It should have a read out showing all the 12V signals.

Also how much splicing has occurred on the rear lighting harness?
When you say multi tool are you talking about connecting it to a computer? Or a volt meter?

I have the wire to connect it, but I’ve never done it. Where do I go to download the software for talking to the head unit?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
When you say multi tool are you talking about connecting it to a computer? Or a volt meter?

I have the wire to connect it, but I’ve never done it. Where do I go to download the software for talking to the head unit?

Multitool = the Alta diagnostic program which lets you see all system info. If you only have the dongle and no laptop, then this will be a bit harder to figure out.

VINSANITY

Could you send some pictures of the resistance dongles you got from new rage cycles - I have all kinds of problems with led tail lights

2018SM

Multitool = the Alta diagnostic program which lets you see all system info. If you only have the dongle and no laptop, then this will be a bit harder to figure out.
Good morning. Hey Rashid510. Speaking of new firmware.. I have the 2018SM. It was over a year since I last checked for an update. Is there a new one and if so, it sounds like there is now a 220 fast charge option for the on-board?

Motophyllic

I couldn’t get the new rage taillight to work on my EXR no matter how hard I tried. I then tried putting the new rage front blinkers on and like magic, everything worked. I don’t know if the front and rear lights are connected in some way, but that was my solution.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I couldn’t get the new rage taillight to work on my EXR no matter how hard I tried. I then tried putting the new rage front blinkers on and like magic, everything worked. I don’t know if the front and rear lights are connected in some way, but that was my solution.

The ACM detects the connection of the front and rear lights, so that behavior makes sense (I had the same issues when I was putting on my Baja light). Wish the lighting wasnt fully controlled by that dang little box.

Good morning. Hey Rashid510. Speaking of new firmware.. I have the 2018SM. It was over a year since I last checked for an update. Is there a new one and if so, it sounds like there is now a 220 fast charge option for the on-board?

The FW thats being mentioned is one of the last FW packages officially released by Alta. Should be on the forum.

2018SM

The ACM detects the connection of the front and rear lights, so that behavior makes sense (I had the same issues when I was putting on my Baja light). Wish the lighting wasnt fully controlled by that dang little box.

The FW thats being mentioned is one of the last FW packages officially released by Alta. Should be on the forum.
Thanks. I’ll look around for it. I believe I have the latest but did not see that one of the updates made it to allow 220 charging. Happen to know ?

2018SM

Thanks. I’ll look around for it. I believe I have the latest but did not see that one of the updates made it to allow 220 charging. Happen to know ?

Dolphinpeople

I will open it up and send photos of the dongles.
they look like O2 simulators though, and are basically the same thing. Simulate the required voltage.

2018SM

I will open it up and send photos of the dongles.
they look like O2 simulators though, and are basically the same thing. Simulate the required voltage.
Awesome. Thank you. I would really like to see how much faster the charge will be. It would be great to be able to race it for two motos.

Dolphinpeople

I’ll send a photo of the actual dongles, but they are similar to this (O2 simulator). Not much to see and it’s completely sealed without being able to open it.
but it just takes whatever power comes into it and sends out the voltage that is needed to make the head unit happy. 0E03C6BF-3A20-42C5-99AC-F1ED07A8101F.jpeg

Dolphinpeople

If anyone knows what the voltage is supposed to be or can easily read it with the multi-tool we might be able to do a group buy with New Rage.
I’ve had New Rage tail tidys on a few bikes and they are very helpful and easy to work with.
they might be down for a group buy of dongles or even might reproduce their tail tidys for a small run if enough of us wanted them.
Im not sure if their dongles would work universally with any LED’s or if they’re dependent on the inherent impedance of the LED used. @Rashid510 might know better than me.

Dolphinpeople

If you have the latest firmware update it is the one that allows for 220 charging. You need to make a pigtail yourself though to go from a 220 outlet to a normal 110 plug that the Alta SM uses. The screen will say 220 when you plug it in if it has the firmware.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
If anyone knows what the voltage is supposed to be or can easily read it with the multi-tool we might be able to do a group buy with New Rage.
I’ve had New Rage tail tidys on a few bikes and they are very helpful and easy to work with.
they might be down for a group buy of dongles or even might reproduce their tail tidys for a small run if enough of us wanted them.
Im not sure if their dongles would work universally with any LED’s or if they’re dependent on the inherent impedance of the LED used. @Rashid510 might know better than me.

If I recall New Rage made the tail tidies and then discontinued the Alta products...The impedance of the LED not sure exactly but the wattage is critical (since the ACM does not like a certain wattage and can cause "brown outs")

wwmotors

If you have the latest firmware update it is the one that allows for 220 charging. You need to make a pigtail yourself though to go from a 220 outlet to a normal 110 plug that the Alta SM uses. The screen will say 220 when you plug it in if it has the firmware.
I tested 220 Volt charging on the SM back and forth. It never worked!

Motophyllic

I think last year I bought the last tail tidy they had. I tried buying another one shortly after my first one and they said they discontinued it. I told him I’d buy a couple if he made them and he declined. I love the light, but it’s simple polycarbonate cut with a mill and glued together. Probably easy to make if you have a mill.