Late to the party

Triz 01

If the battery has a Code36 issue (ultimately, wire bond issue), the battery graph will show culprit parallel groups not increasing in voltage. You'll notice 1 or more bars in that graph much lower than the rest.
Thank you, if I can get this far before buying it I will post a picture.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Other way to confirm the Code 36 is press the middle button on the display which can pull up any codes that are stored in the BCU.

Wait. Is it possible this was zootie's Code 103 "resolution"? She said she was checking hours but maybe she hit the middle button instead? Maybe she had her stored codes displayed and pressing it again removed it?

Triz 01

Other way to confirm the Code 36 is press the middle button on the display which can pull up any codes that are stored in the BCU.
The bike is brand new with 0 miles on it, wouldn’t the bike have to had thrown a code from prior use for the code to be stored here?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Yes and no..bikes were tested before they left the factory. Could have popped up from dyno testing and charging the pack back up. Interesting it has '0' miles....

Triz 01

You know that’s a good point, I haven’t actually powered the unit up myself. I was going off of what I was told. I will take a look at that. Thank you.

privateer703

AOF Addict
I'm another purchaser post-shutdown, however I had the incredible luck of finding a bike that already had the battery replaced under warranty for a code. I will say it is probably a great idea to get the laptop cable/software so you can look at all the cells. I think this is something that everyone is going to want to do after a few years and a few hundred miles. I haven't done it yet, but I will eventually.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
You know that’s a good point, I haven’t actually powered the unit up myself. I was going off of what I was told. I will take a look at that. Thank you.

When I bought my MXR, I insisted that the dealer update the firmware first, and I plugged in the charger and charged the bike right in the showroom. (Fortunately I had already built a 240v to 120v adapter that I brought with me, so we could plug it in there.). This let me test both the bike and the charger. (I was pretty paranoid that the bike wouldn’t charge correctly back then.) I didn’t sign the papers until I had confirmed everything was working and no errors popped up.

If I would have had one at the time, I would have plugged in a laptop with multitool and watched it charge. I have since built a cheap laptop with multitool that is just dedicated for the Alta, with MultiTool, Alta and WP manuals, and a prominent link to the AOF of course. If you have access to multitool or know someone that does, I would bring it or build one. The dealer could use their laptop, but the dealer laptops don’t have the updated version of Multitool. Better than nothing though.

Brent421

Hey guys, first time posting to a forum so your patients is appreciated. I’ve wound up here because I have a 5yr old who rides an Oset MX10 and I realized very quickly my 450 was too much bike to ride with him, especially where is able to ride his. Enter the ALTA, whoa.. so I’m drinking the Alta cool aide for about 24hrs reading everything I can find. The next morning I read they are out of business. My heart sank and I was ready to go on a man hunt for the responsible party. Instead, I gathered myself and started my search for an MXR. I found a few a 1000 miles away, then out of no where 2 pop up 40miles from the house, an 18 & 19 MXR! I was at the dealer within an hour and he let me test ride their very used ‘17 MX demo behind their shop. One lap around that vacant lot and I had to have it. Soon after, I put a deposit on the 2019 which was $1k more than the 2018. My reasoning kicked in a few days later and I thought maybe I should save a grand and just go with the ‘18. I called the shop to discuss that with them and Suzuki Motor Corp had purchased the 2018 the day before.. SO, 2019 it is. My question to you guys is:

1) Would you still buy an ALTA today knowing the big 4 will be coming to market with their versions of the Alta?

2) If I know the VIN of the bike I’m purchasing, would someone out there know the probability of this particular bike throwing codes etc. (I ask this because, a major draw to this bike for me is the lack of maintenance)
Hey Triz 01, doesn’t this same shop you speak of have an 18 MX for $2,000 less??? You could always save a couple grand that way and let me buy the MXR you put money down on 😬. I think I know the bike you’re talking about because I was trying to buy it but it already had a deposit down on it. I ended up getting a brand new 2019 MXR a couple of weeks ago for even less than the one you’re looking at, but I had to make a road trip to get it. Go with the Alta, you won’t regret it. It’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden. The MX and MXR are both great bikes and you’ll be happy with your decision. I will soon be getting rid of my 2018.5 KTM Factory Edition and my 2018 KTM 250SX, because I simply have no desire to ride either of them now that I have the Alta. Alta’s are amazing!

F451

I will soon be getting rid of my 2018.5 KTM Factory Edition and my 2018 KTM 250SX, because I simply have no desire to ride either of them now that I have the Alta. Alta’s are amazing!

I sold the best dirt bike I ever owned, an immaculate plated '16 KTM 350 XCFW Six Days, in order to fund my Alta purchase. No regrets although I would like to get another 350 or 500 XCFW for ICE engine appropriate rides. And those XCFW's are like hen's teeth, not easy to find at a reasonable price.

IMG_2790-S.jpg

Every time I ride my Beta 525 I think, man, these ICE bikes are so crude, so loud and vibby. And I actually get semi very slightly annoyed at my buddies with their smelly noisy 2 strokes now, although I never mention it, Lol.

I love how quiet and smooth my Alta is, and the precise throttle response. Puts me in a whole different place when trail riding now. Much more zen, much easier to get in the zone. I love it.

Caryder

My question to you guys is:

1) Would you still buy an ALTA today knowing the big 4 will be coming to market with their versions of the Alta?
Your questions have been answered, and you sound committed to the Alta purchase. I don’t think you’ll regret it.

I bought my 2019 EXR a month prior to knowing Alta was having problems. I was shell shocked (as I’m sure everyone else was) when Alta announced the production shutdown and ultimate closure. But... I also feel it’s one of the best dirt bikes I’ve ever owned, and being an EXR, extremely versatile with no major modifications to “make it street legal”. For single track, turn signals and tail light come off. For daily commuting, lights go back on. I didn’t like swapping tires for pavement use, and I don’t like dual sport tires for single track, so I bought another set of wheels for a KTM and just put a 7mm spacer behind the front brake caliper to account for the offset between the Alta hub and KTM hub rotor offset.

I also “worry” about long term support, but I’ve owned a Buell (bought just before Buell was shuttered) and also a 2014 Ossa Trials bike a year before they stopped production. While it sucks, it never really affected my ability to get parts and long term, other enthusiasts seem to keep supporting the products. I’m stunned I can still acquire pretty much any part I need or want for my 1976 RD 400. Point being, the Alta is a good machine, and I think enough were sold that support will continue at a slightly higher cost than it would be if Alta Motors was still producing motorcycles.

As to chasing your son, it sounds like an ideal bike would be KTM’s Freeride. It was the bike I was intending to buy before I picked the Alta. Problem is, the electric model isn’t sold in the USA anymore, but everyone I know that picked up a 2-t model still loves them. They are also quiet and easier on the trail/environment than a full size dirt bike with aggressive knobbies. I still have an interest in acquiring a used Freeride e version.

F451

I also “worry” about long term support, but I’ve owned a Buell (bought just before Buell was shuttered) and also a 2014 Ossa Trials bike a year before they stopped production. While it sucks, it never really affected my ability to get parts and long term, other enthusiasts seem to keep supporting the products. I’m stunned I can still acquire pretty much any part I need or want for my 1976 RD 400. Point being, the Alta is a good machine, and I think enough were sold that support will continue at a slightly higher cost than it would be if Alta Motors was still producing motorcycles.

Too funny. Former Buell Ulysses owner here. Also owned an out of production orphan Husky WR125. Currently fostering an '05 Beta 525 and a '88 Porsche 928. And of course my Alta. Some people are more risk tolerant then others. Also had an RD350 as my college bike back in the day. Loved all of them.

Caryder

Too funny. Former Buell Ulysses owner here. Also owned an out of production orphan Husky WR125. Currently fostering an '05 Beta 525 and a '88 Porsche 928. And of course my Alta. Some people are more risk tolerant then others. Also had an RD350 as my college bike back in the day. Loved all of them.

Yup, Uly owner as well. Another extraordinarily functional motorcycle. An unexpected wheelie monster with outstanding suspension & handling, I loved that thing, even the motor... and I really do $@&#%^* hate Harley, so that says a lot.

RD 350 owner from 1976 to 1983. Road raced in 81/82. Sold it to help fund my wife’s first car. True love on my part.

I gotta say though, having fueled my nostalgia bug with the 400, I should have just kept wanting, as keeping that thing running has been a money pit. But... it’s also “built” to be high strung with a narrow power band, and intended to be whipped, so it’s going to break. But doing that to vintage machinery isn’t the most intelligent thing to do so I’m going to have to dial that back a bit.

Top Bottom