Late to the party

Triz 01

Hey guys, first time posting to a forum so your patients is appreciated. I’ve wound up here because I have a 5yr old who rides an Oset MX10 and I realized very quickly my 450 was too much bike to ride with him, especially where is able to ride his. Enter the ALTA, whoa.. so I’m drinking the Alta cool aide for about 24hrs reading everything I can find. The next morning I read they are out of business. My heart sank and I was ready to go on a man hunt for the responsible party. Instead, I gathered myself and started my search for an MXR. I found a few a 1000 miles away, then out of no where 2 pop up 40miles from the house, an 18 & 19 MXR! I was at the dealer within an hour and he let me test ride their very used ‘17 MX demo behind their shop. One lap around that vacant lot and I had to have it. Soon after, I put a deposit on the 2019 which was $1k more than the 2018. My reasoning kicked in a few days later and I thought maybe I should save a grand and just go with the ‘18. I called the shop to discuss that with them and Suzuki Motor Corp had purchased the 2018 the day before.. SO, 2019 it is. My question to you guys is:

1) Would you still buy an ALTA today knowing the big 4 will be coming to market with their versions of the Alta?

2) If I know the VIN of the bike I’m purchasing, would someone out there know the probability of this particular bike throwing codes etc. (I ask this because, a major draw to this bike for me is the lack of maintenance)

Judaslefourbe

1) Would you still buy an ALTA today knowing the big 4 will be coming to market with their versions of the Alta?
2) If I know the VIN of the bike I’m purchasing, would someone out there know the probability of this particular bike throwing codes etc. (I ask this because, a major draw to this bike for me is the lack of maintenance)
1) Yes, without hesitation, but I am biased.
2) Yes, we should be able to offer some insight.

Matt

E-Rider
I am not the most knowledgeable on the subject but 2019 mxr is better than 18 because there was a production error during the 18 run that caused some faulty battery connections.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I also bought one after they closed shop. Best decision I made. The promise of upcoming cool bikes “sometime” down the line is nice, but doesn’t help us now. An Alta in the hand today is worth a dozen vaporware bikes that may or may not show up in a year or two or three... or never. If you are waiting for the perfect bike to come out, you will always be waiting on the next big thing, and the next. Carpe diem. Besides the Alta is probably a better bike than any of the new ones will be anytime soon, even that sexy Honda they keep teasing us with.

I don’t think you would regret getting the Alta. For me, I can easily say it put the joy back in riding again. No maintenance, no gas, no kickstart, just point and go. I should also add that it never fails to draw an appreciative crowd wherever I ride.

On a different note, if all you want to do is chase your kid around on his Oset, I might recommend taking a look at the Sur-Ron Light Bee. We have a thread on this bike in Alta Alternatives here on the AOF forum. For the money, they are a kick in the pants to ride, and a lot more capable than you would believe. They certainly are not an Alta, but you can ride them places you wouldn’t go with the Alta either. You can probably ride more places with your kid that way. Something to think about.

Riding with my kids is the best thing I ever did with them. Waiting around for a different bike a few years later will mean missing time riding with your kid now. Don't miss that time.

My final advice: get both! That’s what I did, and they are both a kick in the ass!

1568309069845.jpg

Triz 01

C5tor- those are my thoughts exactly, I just had to say it. And oh no, the Alta will give me the opportunity to chase the kid around without overheating my bike and still be capable ripping it with the boys without having to have multiple bikes. It’s a beautiful thing.

Triz 01

I am not the most knowledgeable on the subject but 2019 mxr is better than 18 because there was a production error during the 18 run that caused some faulty battery connections.
Thanks Matt, the last 3 of my VIN are 498 if that means anything to anyone.

Triz 01

One more question. How do you guys feel about the fast charger? Initially I was leaning towards one but have since thought maybe the standard charger would be better in the long run. Would a fast charger put premature wear on the battery.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
VIN isn't the tell tale sign of a faulty battery. A prime example is my MXR #399.

Really the only way to know is to hook up MultiTool to the bike and look at the battery graph, particularly while its charging.

Triz 01

VIN isn't the tell tale sign of a faulty battery. A prime example is my MXR #399.

Really the only way to know is to hook up MultiTool to the bike and look at the battery graph, particularly while its charging.
What should I be looking for on the graph if I can get that far.

F451

I had almost the exact same experience as you, Lol. Test rode a '17 MX, had to have one. Decided to not make any snap decisions. Sat on it for weeks. FINALLY, could not stop thinking about that damn Alta, laying in bed one night, could not sleep. Realized I'm not getting any younger, healthier, or richer, decided I would buy one, was all psyched to wake up the next morning and start my search for an MXR.

Slept like a baby with a smile on my face. Ahhh, all is good in the world...

Woke up the NEXT morning, Alta is out of business! I'm like, God, are you f-ing with me?! Like seriously?!

i-QWVBpxH-O.gif

I bought one anyway. Love it. Best dirt bike I have ever owned by far.

I'm now waiting on Honda's e dirt bike to drop, if its anything like the Altas, I will buy one at whatever price they want for it. Or of course if any of the other majors release one I will be looking into that too.

I do have some lack of support/spares /expensive paperweight anxiety, but the folks here have been amazing, so I'm trying to temper my normal worried state, but I do have to admit it does concern me a little.

But then I ride my MXR and I'm loving it, Lol.

IMG_5973-M.jpg

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor

Or if you have a bore-scope, just look at the serial number (last three) of the back side of the battery pack. We have enough knowledge off of the Battery S/Ns to know when the cutover was. (Specifically related to pack bond issues)

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
What should I be looking for on the graph if I can get that far.

If the battery has a Code36 issue (ultimately, wire bond issue), the battery graph will show culprit parallel groups not increasing in voltage. You'll notice 1 or more bars in that graph much lower than the rest.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Absolutely would buy the Alta even knowing what I know.

Still looking for an EXR to pop up in my area, so there you go!

Triz 01

I had almost the exact same experience as you, Lol. Test rode a '17 MX, had to have one. Decided to not make any snap decisions. Sat on it for weeks. FINALLY, could not stop thinking about that damn Alta, laying in bed one night, could not sleep. Realized I'm not getting any younger, healthier, or richer, decided I would buy one, was all psyched to wake up the next morning and start my search for an MXR.

Slept like a baby with a smile on my face. Ahhh, all is good in the world...

Woke up the NEXT morning, Alta is out of business! I'm like, God, are you f-ing with me?! Like seriously?!

View attachment 3772

I bought one anyway. Love it. Best dirt bike I have ever owned by far.

I'm now waiting on Honda's e dirt bike to drop, if its anything like the Altas, I will buy one at whatever price they want for it. Or of course if any of the other majors release one I will be looking into that too.

I do have some lack of support/spares /expensive paperweight anxiety, but the folks here have been amazing, so I'm trying to temper my normal worried state, but I do have to admit it does concern me a little.

But then I ride my MXR and I'm loving it, Lol.

View attachment 3773
Lol, that is too funny. I’ve had many a sleepless thinking about this.. the really funny part is that you guys probably couldn’t talk me out of this if you were trying to.. I made my mind up immediately and I will have one. I guess I’m just here to say “Hi, and what’d I miss” I’m not too worried with what the big 4 are doing, it’ll take them a while to catch up I believe. As far Honda goes, I bleed green so I wouldn’t buy one of there’s if it had wings on it!

VINSANITY

I also bought a 2019 EXR after Alta was confirmed out of business and with the knowledge of no warrantee or parts support.

Other than the upcoming SUR RON booom bee there really isn’t a good indication of release of a full size bike that is even close to the Alta’s performance - so if you want a cool e-bike you pretty much have to go with an Alta

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Lol, that is too funny. I’ve had many a sleepless thinking about this.. the really funny part is that you guys probably couldn’t talk me out of this if you were trying to.. I made my mind up immediately and I will have one. I guess I’m just here to say “Hi, and what’d I miss” I’m not too worried with what the big 4 are doing, it’ll take them a while to catch up I believe. As far Honda goes, I bleed green so I wouldn’t buy one of there’s if it had wings on it!
You won't regret your decision by the sounds of it, and as for what'd you miss, well, take a read around here and catch up on all the important bits.

And welcome to the family!

Top Bottom