Last MXR in the country!!

hellboy666

So, I finally found an MXR and I believe it is the last in the country. I've called every Alta dealer that ever existed and there's probably 8-10 MX's left. So they want $10,500 and won't budge. I asked for the rapid charger to be thrown in for free. I was planning on a free ride e-xc but can't wait anymore. OK deal?

snydes

Staff member
As far as an MXR goes, there are a few things you should educate yourself on before you proceed. There is a lot of past discussion on here about 2018 vs. 2019 MXRs and the issues that the 2018's may have in regards to their batteries, and so if this bike is a 2018 you should take a step back and read up on those issues. If this is a 2019, it would be a far safer bet. As far as what is a ok deal, that's a tough call. From my observations of the used bikes I've seen come up for sale, it seems the average asking prices have been between 7-8k. Is it worth another 3k to you for one off the showroom? Those are the things I would think about before pulling the trigger. I am however surprised that there are dealers that are holding their ground on their prices a year out from the shutdown.

hellboy666

As far as an MXR goes, there are a few things you should educate yourself on before you proceed. There is a lot of past discussion on here about 2018 vs. 2019 MXRs and the issues that the 2018's may have in regards to their batteries, and so if this bike is a 2018 you should take a step back and read up on those issues. If this is a 2019, it would be a far safer bet. As far as what is a ok deal, that's a tough call. From my observations of the used bikes I've seen come up for sale, it seems the average asking prices have been between 7-8k. Is it worth another 3k to you for one off the showroom? Those are the things I would think about before pulling the trigger. I am however surprised that there are dealers that are holding their ground on their prices a year out from the shutdown.
Thank you very much for your reply! I had no idea they made anything but the exr for the 2019 model year. That makes a big difference. Now I'm not so sure I should go through with it since the 2020 freeride e is supposed to come in $500 cheaper give or take.

hellboy666

Did Alta definitely make a mxr for 2019? I can’t find any reviews for 2019 except for exr model. Supposedly, the exr was same battery and motor as 2018 mxr.

Brent421

Did Alta definitely make a mxr for 2019? I can’t find any reviews for 2019 except for exr model. Supposedly, the exr was same battery and motor as 2018 mxr.
Yes they did. I bought a brand new 2019 MXR for 8,000 OTD a couple of months ago. 2019 is definitely the safer bet in terms of the battery issues. If it’s a 2019 MXR and 10,500 is the OTD price then it depends on how bad you want it. Two weeks ago there was a 2019 with 63 miles on it for sale in San Diego, California for 8,000 including the fast charger, from an individual. I’d imagine if you keep looking you could find a better deal.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
So, who is selling the bike, and what are the last 3 digits of the VIN? We can probably give a bit of a risk estimate.

GummyBear22

Thank you very much for your reply! I had no idea they made anything but the exr for the 2019 model year. That makes a big difference. Now I'm not so sure I should go through with it since the 2020 freeride e is supposed to come in $500 cheaper give or take.

I own both a Freeride-e and a MXR. Yes it's a fun bike, but compared to the MXR, it's just a toy. Hence there is a ±30hp difference...

Also not all '19 MXR's have trouble free battery packs...
Error while charging
He has VIN 532, a '19 MXR with wirebond problems.

hellboy666

I haven’t but don’t think it will be possible. I have a check from my credit union to buy a street legal motorcycle or car. Like the ktm xc and xcw’s, Alta mxr comes with mc mco which all other brands and ktm sx models come with off road only mco. My guess is most people have off-road titles for these which is a no go in my state for plating purposes. But that is a good suggestion otherwise.

Matt

E-Rider
There have been some street legal ones posted for sale on the forum in the past. I am not sure if there are any at the moment but it is worth looking quick as there aren't that many posts. Some people may have the proper title also.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
56PARAEM8JB000320

I think #320 is in the range of 2018 MXRs that can potentially have a higher risk of having the wire-bond issue (does anyone have the range list handy?). However, that being said, very few bikes in that range will ever develop an issue, so I don’t want to discourage your purchasing decision. Also, even if you develop the code 36 issue, you can still ride the bike.

I was in the same boat. I bought #361 from a dealer for the same price you are looking at paying, knowing it could have some issues down the line. In retrospect, it was way over priced. But I wanted one, and that was the one I found. And I have been super happy with it.

I think you might have some more options now, as a few bikes are coming up for sale in the $7-8k range that have a few miles on them. If you are looking for a streetable bike, go with the EXR. In some states you can make the MXR road legal, but some you cannot.

I would definitely suggest building a laptop with Multitool and get the data cables. That way you can check out potential bikes and work on your own bike. @TCMB371 has some excellent instructions on doing this. You can always sell the laptop and cables later if you don’t buy the bike.

Also, make sure the bike has latest firmware, and make sure the bike charges before you buy. Nobody wants to get home with their new electric toy and be unable to charge it.

snydes

Staff member
56PARAEM8JB000320

That is almost certainly in the danger zone of serial numbers. As Judaslefourbe stated above, the actual battery serial number is the best indicator but is difficult to read in the bike.

I would NOT consider this bike for that price without extensive proof the battery is ok and I really, really wanted it.

Christian

That is almost certainly in the danger zone of serial numbers. As Judaslefourbe stated above, the actual battery serial number is the best indicator but is difficult to read in the bike.

I would NOT consider this bike for that price without extensive proof the battery is ok and I really, really wanted it.
Why is it in the danger zone?