KTM is changing its tune about electric bikes (and MXA is playing along)

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
“We want kids to grow up with our electric bikes,” said KTM America President John Hinz during the KTM SX-E 5 intro. KTM and Husky plan to have a complete line of electric bikes for little Johnny to ride when he graduates from the SX-E 5 or Husky’s EE 5 version. KTM and Husqvarna owner Stefan Pierer believes in electric technology and see its potential. Manufacturers are desperate to do something as emissions tests are becoming harder and harder to pass. With electric bikes having zero emissions, it gives manufacturers the chance to keep riders on bikes.

ELECTRIC PEE-WEES: THE SILENT REVOLUTION OF THE HUSQVARNA EE 5 & KTM SX-E 5 | Motocross Action Magazine

Additionally, fast forward the video below to the 4:30 time mark:

"KTM SX-E 5 machine... is probably one of the most important bikes to ever come out of the factory."

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
If KTM's plan is to release bigger versions as the kids riding these grow, it'll be 12-15 years before they release something close to Alta MXR performance...

snydes

Staff member
I for one just can’t wait for the social media backlash once these sort of reports make their rounds. How dare they, the savior of the two stroke, embrace this demonic technology! They are already on thin ice pushing that blasphemous fuel injection. Ronnie Mac 2020!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
If KTM's plan is to release bigger versions as the kids riding these grow, it'll be 12-15 years before they release something close to Alta MXR performance...
I hope it is fewer years than that. Ther SX-E 5 is a good bike for 8-10-year olds. Once they turn 13-15, they can already practice on full-sized bikes.

Judaslefourbe

KTM is not changing its tune; it has been their plans for years.
First time I heard about it was in 2014 or 2015.
And I think it is a good plan: you tie your development to a new generation where battery density is not that much of an issue and it gives you time to develop the next generations of motorcycles along with them. It is better than the other way around for an established OEM imo.

Seatbounce

Agree with judaslefourbe but it does leave an opportunity open for someone else to capitalize on the full size market.
Purchased a sxe5 recently for my kids and seeing them walking out of the house at 7 am to get a moto in when I'm leaving for work has really peaked my interest to get on board.