KTM Freeride-e is kicking ass

Oded

This is an Alta forum and all, but watch how the European electric (KTM freeride-e) is leaving all the 2 & 4 strokes way behind in this Red Bull prologue.

Speedkills

I have never heard them referred to as toys. Only half dirt, half trials bikes, which for that course seems like a pretty good idea. They don't have a ton of power, 25hp or something if memory serves, but again, hp didn't seem like the limiting factor there. If you watch his suspension move you can see how it's sprung really bouncy, similar to a trials bike which sure makes it easier to move around in some circumstances, and they are super light compared to the Altas which I wouldn't mind there either.

Oded

The video shows the newer 2019 version of the Freeride-e. It has a larger battery (sony) and better suspension (xplor).
It weighs 110 kg which is surprisingly not that lite for this kind of bike.

The Freeride is a great bike, but is not a high end competition bike.

I rode the previous version and it felt too small for my size (1.90m).

All in all, Alta is better 😉

Butch

Poseur
I called the one I rode a toy. A small, light "toy" is a good application for the course in the vid.
We all know the power delivery is better for that kinda terrain.

Good stuff.

strider

Thanks for sharing. I just ordered a Kuberg Freeride for my wife but was looking at the KTM if she decides she wants to ride mroe than just around our property. I thought I read somewhere that they sell the bike and lease the battery and charger. Is that true in the US as well (I think I read that on a UK website)?

Oded

Thanks for sharing. I just ordered a Kuberg Freeride for my wife but was looking at the KTM if she decides she wants to ride mroe than just around our property. I thought I read somewhere that they sell the bike and lease the battery and charger. Is that true in the US as well (I think I read that on a UK website)?

I doubt they lease the battery in the US. Not even sure that this battery lease program is already implemented in Europe..

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
I was of the belief the KTM was a toy in comparison to our Altas. Im not sure I believe that anymore.
The Eride is a Toy compared to our Altas, but a very capable toy. The Eride's battery capacity is about 2/3 of the Altas, (3.9kwh vs 5.8kwh). Peak burst output is 28kw (or maybe it was 24?) vs the EXR/MXR 38kw. That said, the Eride is 30-40 pounds lighter, alot of the weight difference is because we have a bigger battery.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
The Eride is a Toy compared to our Altas, but a very capable toy. The Eride's battery capacity is about 2/3 of the Altas, (3.9kwh vs 5.8kwh). Peak burst output is 28kw (or maybe it was 24?) vs the EXR/MXR 38kw. That said, the Eride is 30-40 pounds lighter, alot of the weight difference is because we have a bigger battery.
concur with ebike weight = power - .

Reactions: Rix