KTM Electric

querlenker

Sure we do.
It`s only 3rd person hearing but from a source i trust. Testriders were complaining about fast over heating. After two laps they run in thermal cutback (I know most will say never, but i know from own experience how you can fast overheat it) and they complained about the range, also a fact, you cannot compete in a 25min or longer race, if you think you can, you are not fast enough and that`s not meant offensiv. A big OEM has to compete with own bikes and those of other competitors and thats not easy when you look at the numbers, weight, range, price...

privateer703

AOF Addict
But KTM did develop a full size electric bike, KTM Freeride E-SX, so they are interested in the market. If they weren't they wouldn't have bought Altas. I'd also wonder if they had an "A" pack or an "R" pack, from my understanding the R pack helped with some of the thermal limiting issues. Not everyone who buys a dirt bike races.

snydes

Staff member
It`s only 3rd person hearing but from a source i trust. Testriders were complaining about fast over heating. After two laps they run in thermal cutback (I know most will say never, but i know from own experience how you can fast overheat it) and they complained about the range, also a fact, you cannot compete in a 25min or longer race, if you think you can, you are not fast enough and that`s not meant offensiv. A big OEM has to compete with own bikes and those of other competitors and thats not easy when you look at the numbers, weight, range, price...

I don’t doubt this. Especially if they were A packs, but we’ve heard of guys getting warnings on R packs too. Top level rider on a GP style track, especially sand... would kill it quick IMO. And I’m sure the profit margins on gas bikes are better, so that all makes sense.

Fact still remains they are working on an electric bikes, they are going bottom up though starting with the little guys. It’s just a question of when they feel it’s time for a full size motocross version.

querlenker

Fact still remains they are working on an electric bikes, they are going bottom up though starting with the little guys. It’s just a question of when they feel it’s time for a full size motocross version.
Yes and no. A beginner kids bike is very easy to build. Small and cheap battery, low voltage system, no cooling, fits their standart frames and so on. So minimum investment compared to big bikes. I guess when done right, the production coast is about the same than beginner ice 50cc bike. When you want to build a bike compareable to 65cc, it would be even more harder i think. For absolut beginners it makes very much sense to go electric, there are a lot of advantages for the small kids and their parents.

snydes

Staff member
Let’s not forget they already have development money in the freeride electric, so the are already “in it”.

strider

Are they updating or producing new Freerides? It's funny, Kuberg's "big" bike is called the Freerider. I picked one up for my wife to buzz around the property on but it's based on mountain bike tech. I think the KTM might be a better option.

Fog 25

It’s overheating because of the size of the rear sprocket. Poor little motor would have spin super high rpm to make one revolution of the rear wheel.

E8999CD7-4973-4899-8DE1-BA6EE80610CA.jpeg

D2555CB3-2009-426A-AF38-0B5CB933915C.jpeg

Reactions: Rix

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
A absolute meaningless rebuttal but regardless I understand overheating issues as valid but I see a lot of Honda’s, Yamaha’s, ktms etc with an electric motorcycles commercially available oh & comparable performance numbers to the Alta.....

ageess

Hi Guys , this is the bike of Peter Kovacs its working fine and is extreme fast and MX competetive , Peter is well known in Euro because of his skills in Battery tuning . He stocks up the performance of the Freeride E pack 40% so it last for 1hour racing. I am german E Enduro Champion 2018 (IGE) so we know him :)laubus siegerehrung e.jpgFeldatal E Meister an Strecke.jpg

ige mernes sprung flight high.jpg

ageess

Where you got this information from?
Italked to a ing. from KTM who runs this Development of the Kids e-bike he said that they have 2 Altas at KTM Lab and i got some tips from him to pass the EMC Test . So maybe the bought a 2019 EXR there was on in BHV in a box with adress KTM Auistria on it , when i picked up mine :)

Top Bottom