Just got a Recall notice

Mark911

My dealer informed me I need to take my 2017 (sn 049) in for updates. According to my dealer the bikes BMS will be re-flashed to prevent the charger from blowing residential home fuses (110/120v), the charge port harness will be replaced and the ENTIRE battery pack replaced (possibly changes to internal BMS components?). To me, sounds like Alta was a bit too aggressive with their original charging schedule and need to back it down a tad. Anyone else get a notification?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. Sounds to me like you may be getting an MXR upgrade for free. ;) I mean, why not?

AFAIK, the battery, the harness, and the controller software is what differentiates the MXR from the MX, powertrain-wise.

Gertech

Interesting. I wonder if that will become apparent on the MXRs too, seeing as mine seems to be having issues already.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
I have unit 69 and this service was completed in October before I was able to I import it.

Importing requires a letter from the manufacturer stating that the unit number is free from recalls, otherwise I may not have known.

Mark911

My dealer called and told me. No letter from Alta.

From speaking to Marc some weeks ago I don't think it's the MXR upgrade. He mentioned yes, harnesses are involved. However, there were several involved. Harness to battery, harness to inverter, etc. The fix wasn't reverse compatible (in their minds) as some interface connectors were changed and some terminations went from pinned to solder joints to reduce resistance. The entire electrical system was impacted to some extent and the amount of work to incorporate or even make "as good as" would have been prohibitive.

No, for something like this it must be safety or warranty (reputation) related. Like one of their test bikes almost burned down a garage while charging or they got a bad batch of cells that degrade too quickly (I'm speculating). Of course, one can create the other. A charging schedule that's too aggressive can lead to overloading supply power circuits and cause cells to degrade faster than normal. Once the cells are damaged the only corrective action is to replace them. Better to do it now than to receive customer criticism a few years down the line about how their battery pack barely made 500 cycles before it went kaput! That's the death knoll for a young company.

rayivers

That's the death knoll for a young company.

In any normal / competitive environment, I'd agree - but Alta has almost no competition at all. Zero was in the same position in '07, and had a nearly-continuous string of serious reliability problems until @ 2013, when things got a lot better (since then, it's been hit or miss - one of mine had no problems at all, the other needed motor replacement). If the OEM steps up and makes things right - as Zero did with me - IMO they should be fine, especially as the dealer network grows.

Oded

One of the main issue with Zero's support was the lack of cooperation between Zero and the customer.
You were told to go to the dealer, and all the communication was between the dealer and Zero. Leaving the customer with no knowledge as to what is going on.
Many times, the customer knows much more on electric vehicles than the dealer, just adding to the frustration.

This is why a good dealer is so important when buying an early adopters vehicle like the Alta. You are pretty much srarting a long term relationship with your dealer. It is not a bike that can be fixed in any motorcycle's garage (for electrical problems)...

Fod

Maybe pay for the small parts left over that are non mxr and see if they upgrade to mxr!?!?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
In any normal / competitive environment, I'd agree - but Alta has almost no competition at all.
This is not true. The main Alta's competition right now is the Big 6 manufacturers with their ICE bikes, which are still considered the only ones eligible for serious racing, and their soon-to-come electric bikes as well. If the word gets out that owning an electric bike is just swapping one set of expensive and time-consuming problems for another Alta may be done as a manufacturer. Then Yamaha and KTM will come out with their electric MX bikes and sweep up the remaining electric MX bike fans.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I meant electric competition, obviously - ICE/electric comparisons are apples/oranges.
To Alta the ICE competition is real. They are trying to steal their share of new bike sales for them. It is all the same market. Riders either buy and ride ICE, or buy and ride electric. The same guy cannot ride two bikes at once, so he will most likely choose to buy just one new bike. If Alta is not winning his business, then it is losing it to the Big 6.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
... I think I see where you are coming from, Ray. But looking at the breakdown of our little forum it appears that most of Alta owners are former Big 6 MX bike owners, not former Zero owners. Alta is stealing new bike sales from the Big 6 first and foremost.

rayivers

it appears that most of Alta owners are former Big 6 MX bike owners, not former Zero owners.

Yes, surely - and I guess this kind of colors my perception. Like everyone else prior to early 2017, I really had no choice in the matter: back then it was either ICE or a modified Zero for dirt (which no MX guys would've considered anyway). I'm very grateful for all the riding I got in on the Zero, limited though it is compared to the Alta.

Riders either buy and ride ICE, or buy and ride electric.

I agree totally - but I think these are two separate markets (for now). The electric actual-MX-bike market in the US has existed only for a little over a year, since Altas started shipping in early 2017. I think most ICE riders don't even know they exist, even today - so they'd never consider them, and if they did most would likely bench-race them out of contention by weight / price / range / sound / smell (ever hang out at ThumperTalk?) :) And speaking only for myself, after having actually ridden electric for a while now I'd never consider ICE again, so I'm definitely biased.

Once e-bikes become mainstream - and especially when MC race fans start watching them walk away from the pack from the start gate on - I think everything will change. I don't know what to think about the big guys - with the exception of KTM's playbike, it seems like they're still mostly in mock-up mode (Yamaha anyway):

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what to think about the big guys - seems like they're still mostly in mock-up mode (Yamaha anyway):
I wouldn't be so sure. That Yamaha video is from 4 years ago. There is no telling where they might be now with this program. Maybe they are just holding back until they make it faster than the Alta. I would.