Just bought a 2020 freeride exc I might not be able to charge?

hellboy666

Live in RV full time. Thought 50 amp at RV park would work but turns out it’s not single phase 240v which freeride requires. So my question, as opposed to getting a loud heavy generator, could I use 12 volt deep cycle RV batteries with a pure sine wave inverter that can put out 240 volt single phase ac power to the ktm’s fast charger? Then just charge the 12 volt batteries with a charger at the RV park?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
How exactly are you plugging into that RV park 240V outlet?

You might need just a different adapter, not a 240V inverter.

Also, doesn't the Freeride charge from 110V as well, just like Alta?

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
This may not be useful for your question, but it was the only vid I’ve really seen on charging the E-XC in the US on 240v.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Interesting. In the video he says as his house has more modern wiring setup, it can handle the adapter. 30A on the adapter and the twistloc is rated for 20A. Seems like some sort of step down is needed.

Also KTM not allowing the charger to run at 110V...does take longer

hellboy666

Definitely cannot charge from 110. The 50 amp at rv park is two 120 volt legs equaling 240 volt total but it’s not single phase. Just would be really nice to carry a battery with me, charge in 110 with a battery charger then use battery and inverter to power ktm fast charger. I know it’s baffling they couldn’t have included 110 charger like the sx-e 5 that I’m also picking up this week incidentally

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure it is not 240V between the two hot legs of the RV park power outlet? Did you poke it with a multimeter? That would be a very weird RV park then.

If there is no 240V there, then the next best thing would be to buy a 110-240V step up transformer. Those are not very expensive, much cheaper than an inverter, and they won't kill your RV batteries.

snydes

Staff member
All US 240v power (and generators) is consisted of two 120v legs/phases, it’s not just an issue with the RV parks wiring. European power is single phase 220-240v.

If nothing else works, you could get a European generator such as this;
Looking to pickup a new generator

Seatbounce

Definitely cannot charge from 110. The 50 amp at rv park is two 120 volt legs equaling 240 volt total but it’s not single phase. Just would be really nice to carry a battery with me, charge in 110 with a battery charger then use battery and inverter to power ktm fast charger. I know it’s baffling they couldn’t have included 110 charger like the sx-e 5 that I’m also picking up this week incidentally

If the only hang up is 'single phase', (2) separate 120v hot legs with 240v between them is still considered single phase. Just wanted to make sure the terminology wasn't hanging you up.

hellboy666

So do you think the 50 amp will successfully charge the freeride? I’ll find out in about a week but just curious now so I can determine if I need a transformer or inverter or whatever.

snydes

Staff member
If a freeride can be charged on USA 240v, then yes, making an adapter to go from the NEMA 14-50 RV style plug to a L14-30P (what I assume would be on the freerides charger) is not difficult.

hellboy666

If a freeride can be charged on USA 240v, then yes, making an adapter to go from the NEMA 14-50 RV style plug to a L14-30P (what I assume would be on the freerides charger) is not difficult.
According to ktm it can be charged on any 230v outlet. My dealer said it comes with the European L6-20r plug. On a YouTube video review, a guy finds an adapter that allows him to plug into his dryer outlet but I’m now sure how similar that would be to an RV 50 amp outlet.

snydes

Staff member
According to ktm it can be charged on any 230v outlet. My dealer said it comes with the European L6-20r plug. On a YouTube video review, a guy finds an adapter that allows him to plug into his dryer outlet but I’m now sure how similar that would be to an RV 50 amp outlet.

Then you will be fine. The 50a RV outlet isn’t anything special, just a different plug.

xjahx

1. Correct, you can make an adapter or heavy gauge extension cord with complimentary plugs to work with standard US 220-240v, like for your dryer, which is single phase even if from a split source.

2. I have been charging my 2017 Freeride with the Kreiger 1700 watt voltage transformer. This makes charging while on the road a breeze. We have 4 packs between 2 bikes, and when driving the pickup, we are running the Kreiger unit off of the 110 service in-bed to charge the spares.

hellboy666

1. Correct, you can make an adapter or heavy gauge extension cord with complimentary plugs to work with standard US 220-240v, like for your dryer, which is single phase even if from a split source.

2. I have been charging my 2017 Freeride with the Kreiger 1700 watt voltage transformer. This makes charging while on the road a breeze. We have 4 packs between 2 bikes, and when driving the pickup, we are running the Kreiger unit off of the 110 service in-bed to charge the spares.
This is exactly what I’m planning to get on amazon if the 14-50 to l6-20r plug doesn’t work.