Just bought a 2018 SM A few questions

mikektm500

I just bought a 2018 SM I searched this forum and couldn't find the answer I was looking for, so Is there a way to charge the bike with 240V with the onboard charger that the has built in? I also saw a performance chip deal on Ebay advertising HP gains. Has anyone heard of this? and if so do they work? I would be worried about is some how screwing up the software on the bike. But if they are safe another 10 hp would be nice. Any other advice on ownership of one of these ?
Mike

snydes

Staff member
Haha, I think I saw what you are referring to on eBay, it has absolutely nothing to do with these bikes though, so do not purchase that item.

240v charging is possible with a simple cord adapter as long as the bike has the latest firmware.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator

mikektm500

I think you were probably referring to this item on ebay.

Performance Speed Chip Racing Torque Horsepower Power ECU Module for Alta Motors | eBay

There is a Chinese company called Alta Motors (Buyang) that makes ATVs and such. It can get confused with the now defunct electric motorcycle company. Notice the description says “all fuel injected models.” Clearly doesn’t apply to the Alta Redshift.
Yeah, it showed compatibility with all the Alta models, but looking at the dyno chart it was show in the hundreds of HP.
Is there anyway to get more juice out of these?

leeo45

Geezer in denial
240v charging is possible with a simple cord adapter as long as the bike has the latest firmware.

I don't think I have seen this one either. How does it work since the SM has a standard three prong NEMA 5 120VAC plug (hot/neutral/ground) ? Does the adapter put a leg of the 240 on both the hot and neutral wires of the 120 cord ?

mikektm500

That was my question as well, I know I could wire up my own adapter doing what you discribed, but it would really be a bummer if doesn't work that way and fry something up.

mikektm500

Also my dealer said they updated the firmware, but they sure
seemed in hurry to get that bike out the door. So I can't say im real confident that they spent the time to do it. What would happen if the firmware isn't up to date and you plugged 240v to it?

wwmotors

I tested back and forth with different voltages (210-240V) on my SM. My bike had the latest firmware, what means , it should be able to charge at 240V nets. . But it never worked: "Voltage out of range" it said! It only worked with 110V. Sorry

snydes

Staff member
I don't think I have seen this one either. How does it work since the SM has a standard three prong NEMA 5 120VAC plug (hot/neutral/ground) ? Does the adapter put a leg of the 240 on both the hot and neutral wires of the 120 cord ?

Yes, should be exactly the same as how the offboard chargers works. However, let us get @Rashid510 to weigh in on this to be absolutely sure since he is the resident SM guru.

I tested back and forth with different voltages (210-240V) on my SM. My bike had the latest firmware, what means , it should be able to charge at 240V nets. . But it never worked: "Voltage out of range" it said! It only worked with 110V. Sorry

Interesting you were never able to make that work. This was all attempted on European power, correct?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Also my dealer said they updated the firmware, but they sure
seemed in hurry to get that bike out the door. So I can't say im real confident that they spent the time to do it. What would happen if the firmware isn't up to date and you plugged 240v to it?

Its more related to how your 240V setup is wired. The SM charger and firmware is "sensitive" to voltage ranges (as wwmotors found out). The last FW update for the SM should have the 240V capability. Easiest check would be to check in Multitool.

mikektm500

Thanks for the info, I ordered all the connectors to hook up to multitool. I guess I'll probably will have to find someone more tech savvy to help me get through the process. I seem to struggle reseting my Apple ID password.

mikektm500

would there be any advantage of getting the rapid charger for the SM with the onboard charger? Sorry might be a dumb question, but I am still a little confused on the differenced between the SM and the other models that don't have the onboard charger.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
would there be any advantage of getting the rapid charger for the SM with the onboard charger? Sorry might be a dumb question, but I am still a little confused on the differenced between the SM and the other models that don't have the onboard charger.
The SM does not work with an offboard/rapid charger.

mikektm500

Thanks for the reply, saved me 699.00. How much faster is the rapid charger? Asking because I would like to race some Supermoto stuff. Most the tracks are GP style tracks so I’m sure the battery is going to a be a issue. Any recommendations on good setup?

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
If you need to charge faster than the SM onboard charger will accommodate, the next option is to buy a MXR or EXR and convert the tires and suspension to SM components. Then you can use the offboard rapid charger which will give a full charge in about 1.5 hrs.

Might just be cheaper and easier to have 2 SM bikes on race day....

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Thanks for the reply, saved me 699.00. How much faster is the rapid charger? Asking because I would like to race some Supermoto stuff. Most the tracks are GP style tracks so I’m sure the battery is going to a be a issue. Any recommendations on good setup?

Your SM charger is 1.1Kw. A rapid charger is 3.3ish kW, so in supermoto sense, yes its better. But that then requires a Charger to DCCP swap...which isnt really a fun thing to do.

mikektm500

Thanks for the feedback you guys on this forum are awesome. I have a KTM 500 built for my race bike. I’m just going to mess around a bit with the Alta. I was just was hoping to be able to run a couple races in a day. Maybe it will just the way it is.
The races are like 8 laps, usually its at least a hour between races. Maybe I can figure out a 240v plug adapter that will speed things up.

wwmotors

Yes, should be exactly the same as how the offboard chargers works. However, let us get @Rashid510 to weigh in on this to be absolutely sure since he is the resident SM guru.

Interesting you were never able to make that work. This was all attempted on European power, correct?
Yes, i am based in Germany (240 Volt net) . I charged at the same time another bike on same plug, so that the voltage went down, so I could test different voltages. It never worked out. So I bought a converter to 110-120V. With converter it charged.