Is there a Federal Certification Label on an MXR?

brettb

I'm trying to get my street legal (in Washington State) MXR registered in San Francisco. The inspection went fine until the inspector asked to see the Federal Certification Label, we looked everywhere & couldn't find one.

1. Does the MXR have a Federal Certification Label?

2. Has anyone registered a MXR for street in California? If yes, what was involved?

3. Is there a process to get a label? CHP inspection?

Any advice would be helpful.

-Brett

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Any advice would be helpful.

-Brett

1. Does the MXR have a Federal Certification Label?

The MXR has a identification label. But the MXR does not have a Cert label. Its a off road vehicle in CA.

2. Has anyone registered a MXR for street in California? If yes, what was involved?

There is a weird process of registering in another state. But the MXR VIN identifier calls it out as an off road vehicle.

3. Is there a process to get a label? CHP inspection?

At the moment I have not seen or know of CHP clearing MXRs for street legality. Could try a lighting kit. Did your bike have a plate in Washington?

brettb

The bike has been converted to street with lights, mirror, horn... to get it legal in Washington.

I see that there's an option on the DMV form to state "None" for the label. I might try going through a private inspector & then bringing the paperwork into a smaller DMV office.

Worst case, I'll sell this one & find an EXR or SM.

-Brett

MXR.jpg

privateer703

AOF Addict
I'm doing the same thing in VA and in the paperwork they require the decal as well. I don't know it as a Federal Certification Label, but if it is the same (49 CFR 567.4) then you can buy one from Cadillac decal and sign:
cadillac decal and sign
They are $25+shipping. Just send your info (Mfr name, month/year of mfr, gross vehicle weight, gross axle weight, Federal safety standard statement, date of Federal Safety Std, vehicle classification, VIN) to art@cadillacsign.com and ask for a Manufacturers VIN Decal. The guy will probably call you back within minutes.

brettb

Perfect, that's the tip of the day!

Can someone with EX/EXR take a picture of their Federal Certification Label so I can get the info (Mfr name, month/year of mfr, gross vehicle weight, gross axle weight, Federal safety standard statement, date of Federal Safety Std, vehicle classification, VIN)?

Please blur out your VIN for privacy or send it directly to me.

Gracias!

-Brett

brettb

I found their page with the details: https://www.cadillacsign.com/data-identification-plates/

Data & Identification Plates
Cadillac Sign & Decal can custom manufacture logo name plates as well as product ID plates. These can contain technical data, model/serial numbers, user specifications, instructions, maintenance or safety information. We use .032 satin-finished, anodized aluminum for data and product ID plates. Plates can be screen-printed, engraved, metalphoto, or chemically etched. We can also produce ID plates in combinations of processes – screen printed and engraved, for example- for flexibility and color. Machine-punched holes, adhesive backing, radius corners and consecutive numbering are available for a nominal extra charge.

Vin Tags
We offer custom Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Tags for manufacturers of cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles and scooters.

privateer703

AOF Addict
Date of MFR would be built into the VIN number. I'm sure someone on here has an idea which numbers they are. Don't forget to specify "Stick-on" as they make rivet on aluminum ones too.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Digit 10 in the VIN string indicates the Model Year, but not Date of MFG. On the road legal vehicles we had that printed on the sticker. The MXRs...dont....luckily based on last three digits, should be able to know when the month of the bike was created.

brettb

The inspection wasn't very technical, she was just checking off boxes. As long as the VIN numbers match, I should be fine.

I'll report back after I receive the sticker & go back to the DMV.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I thought one of the VIN numbers was supposed to be month of mfr. I probably misread it as one of the numbers that COULD be in the VIN.

In the VIN String of 17 Characters there unfortunately is no indicator of MFG month. Year absolutely. Some auto manufacturers have weird configs for there VIN strings. This is the general identifier for VIN strings:

MMM VIN.png