Is the ex actually a dual sport?

Brendon

Hey guys!

I’ve been lingering around the forum and trying to learn as much as I can. Here is my situation, I would love to get any feedback and input.

My wife and I sold our home a few years ago and restored an old Spartan trailer. It is completely off-grid capable with a Mastervolt lithium ion battery. We have excess energy because the engineer who designed the electrical system wanted to make sure that it was fully charged by noon and we could run all heavy usage appliances in the afternoon like our AC or our washer and dryer. We typically have an excess of anywhere from 5-10kw a day and would like to use that energy to power a second vehicle (it would be great not to have to drive the Ram dually to the grocery store when we are parked in LA) more importantly though we end up spending most of our time off grid on BLM land and I would love to have a dirt bike to explore around on.
I have been keeping my eyes open for an EXR but am also aware that the other battery system is considered more reliable. There is an EX for sale in Texas being billed as a dual sport but has no turn signals that I can tell. Is it a dual sport? Has anyone converted one and added turn signals? It has to be street legal for our needs. Thoughts on the difference between the two models? Also I think the standard charger would be a better fit for our need as the load it draws would be less, am I correct in this assumption? Thanks in advance for any info or thoughts that you have to share.

Cheers,
BrendonAEFAE1A5-016E-4465-A4C6-31EB151DB9C6.jpeg

Jared

Hey guys!

I’ve been lingering around the forum and trying to learn as much as I can. Here is my situation, I would love to get any feedback and input.

My wife and I sold our home a few years ago and restored an old Spartan trailer. It is completely off-grid capable with a Mastervolt lithium ion battery. We have excess energy because the engineer who designed the electrical system wanted to make sure that it was fully charged by noon and we could run all heavy usage appliances in the afternoon like our AC or our washer and dryer. We typically have an excess of anywhere from 5-10kw a day and would like to use that energy to power a second vehicle (it would be great not to have to drive the Ram dually to the grocery store when we are parked in LA) more importantly though we end up spending most of our time off grid on BLM land and I would love to have a dirt bike to explore around on.
I have been keeping my eyes open for an EXR but am also aware that the other battery system is considered more reliable. There is an EX for sale in Texas being billed as a dual sport but has no turn signals that I can tell. Is it a dual sport? Has anyone converted one and added turn signals? It has to be street legal for our needs. Thoughts on the difference between the two models? Also I think the standard charger would be a better fit for our need as the load it draws would be less, am I correct in this assumption? Thanks in advance for any info or thoughts that you have to share.

Cheers,
BrendonView attachment 4078
Yes, the EX is a dual sport. The one you are looking at (TJ’s Cycle Sales) is used, and the previous owner removed the turn signals (mounting brackets and turn signal switch are still there) and replaced the mirrors with aftermarket ones.

privateer703

AOF Addict
A couple of us have converted MX/MXR's into EX/EXR's, but you really have to check with state laws to determine how easy it might be to title. The space under the seat has enough room for a small battery to run a set of lights for a few hours. Trying to tie into the 12v Aux circuit on an MXR is possible, but you have to make sure you use low power lights as it has a current draw limit.

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
A couple of us have converted MX/MXR's into EX/EXR's, but you really have to check with state laws to determine how easy it might be to title. The space under the seat has enough room for a small battery to run a set of lights for a few hours. Trying to tie into the 12v Aux circuit on an MXR is possible, but you have to make sure you use low power lights as it has a current draw limit.
From my experience OR is one of the stricter states but @SuburbanDad seemed to have no problem getting his MX road legal!

F451

I plated my Alta MXR in WA State but it was already plated from Cali when I purchased it, so that made it easy. WA also has a pretty simple conversion process to plate just about any off-road bike. Throw some lights on it, pay $100 or so to get it inspected at any number of bike shops and you are good to go, I just did that process with my old Beta 525.

One of these days I'm planning on mounting a functioning battery powered LED headlight & brake light setup on the MXR but haven't gotten around to it yet. For the moment, I have non-functioning headlight, brake light, and license plate on it, mainly to keep Johnny law happy on the short sections of road I might hit while connecting trails.

Top Bottom