Inverter Throttle Fault

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
This morning I got an email from Alta saying there's now a firmware fix for this issue. Back to the dealer we go!
Great news!!! Call your dealers early... mine couldn't see me for 3 weeks. I scheduled two weeks ago and was nervous there wouldn't be a solution by next week. I'll call and make sure they have firmware ready :)
Now I'm waiting for my email from Alta... #ThanksAlta

UPDATE: got my email from Alta. Called the dealer and they gave me no confidence that they know what they are doing. I have no idea if they have any firmware updates ready.
"It just goes through the Alta programming box."

schwankl

Got my exr 4d ago, love it, had minor ITF first 2 of 10 starts (key-cycle fixed) but was fine, then randomly after 128mi going thru a busy intersection at ~20mph hit ITF and lost power, had to key/power-cycle to recover on the side of the road. Saw the existing issue and went thru alta support email - got the: "must go to dealership" for a new firmware and "we do not condone riding" response. Promptly called my dealership - they said it was already installed but would re-flash me.

How to see firmware version to ask them to compare? Semantic versioning is something that owners and mechanics should know.

Oded

I think the update is relevant to older models as well. I got an e-mail yesterday, asking me to update ASAP my EX.

Mark911

I twisted my throttle back and everything was fine. Haven't heard from my dealer on my 17, but as far as I'm concerned "if it ain't broke don't fix it"! I haven't even changed out the passenger Takata airbag on 458 as I don't want some dealer to rip my dash out as I know it'll rattle and squeak after that. Nobody rides shotgun with me anyway! LOL.

Fod

After reading through the notice that's on the dealer portal again, the only models mentioned are 2019 MXR's and EXR's. They must believe that the only models affected are 19 and newer. We have a few 2018 MXR's in the showroom including our demo and have not had any problems with those bikes yet.
I assume it's really just the new batch of throttles. If you put a MY18 throttle on a MY19 with a throttle fail issue, I have a gut feeling it would solve the problem! Instead of replacing the throttles, I think the new firmware ignores the backward position signal and therefore doesn't fault. How do I come to this conclusion? I have a my18 that had no issues but when recently replacing the throttle assembly I have got the same issue the my19 bikes have, and was told to update firmware to fix the issue.

Oded

I did not have any throttle issue with my 2018 EX, but I was contacted by Alta and was specifically asked to update the firmware asap

I did not have any throttle issue with my 2018 EX, but I was contacted by Alta and was specifically asked to update the firmware asap
There are currently two updates out right now. 07/19/18 they released an update for EX and EXR models pertaining to a "short-to-ground" issue some bikes were experiencing. Then on 07/31/18 they released the newest update for 2019 MXR and EXR models to fix the “Inverter Throttle Fault” issue.

Reactions: Fod

Oded

There are currently two updates out right now. 07/19/18 they released an update for EX and EXR models pertaining to a "short-to-ground" issue some bikes were experiencing. Then on 07/31/18 they released the newest update for 2019 MXR and EXR models to fix the “Inverter Throttle Fault” issue.

Thanks. That clarifies it.

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
latest firmware changelog from Alta today (or EX and EXR):

New in EX 1.2.1:
- prevent fault when rolling some throttles forward

New in EX 1.2:
- control 12V loads correctly during short-circuit events
- support for additional R charger variants
- improved isolation test logic
- resolve isolation failures to inside/outside of charger
- display warning for high humidity within battery
- new/improved self-diagnostics
- minor bug fixes

schwankl

only way to see version still to bring to dealership? I just went to my dealership this morning and hope they put 1.2.1 ... do love the semantic versioning tho, just wish it wasn't so black box. I understand the walled-garden approach, but being more transparent with version details can only help gain market confidence and help with people knowing if they have the patch or not when the dealer says you have the latest. hiding it, just seems like you are hiding something.

Oded

One of the most disturbing issues with Zero motorcycles ( had one for 3 years) was the constant fw updates with no release notes. They just wouldn't let anyone know what the update is all about. endless frustrating threads about it.
Any computer guy knows that fw updates should be released with release notes.

Another reason I am so glad, I got an Alta. They make efforts to work with the customers, much appreciated.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
No, not yet. But this is the time of the year when motorcycle manufacturers are already selling '19 models. The EXR is sold as a '19 model already. We should see the '19 MXR and '19 SMR pretty soon!

Top Bottom