Insurers that offer full coverage on Altas?

ChrisG

Who's had experience getting full coverage (ie. collision and theft) on an Alta (SM in my case)? I have Progressive on my Ducati, but they would only offer liability only on the Alta. I know of at least one person who had Geico full coverage, but would like to know if there are any other options out there. Thanks,

Chris

ablock

Progressive offered me the same for the Alta: liability only. Though it did only cost $2.94 a month to add it the bike to my existing policy. That's better than Markel, who wouldn't cover the Redshift at all.

ChrisG

Yeah, for me the SM actually lowered my Progressive premium, since they figured it would mean I'd ride the full-coverage Ducati less. I'd still prefer a company that offers full coverage on both.

Rainmaker

I'm in NY state and although I have multiple motorcycles with Progressive they just confirmed that they cannot insure electric motorcycles.
Thank you to those that started this thread and commented. We are all learning together.

Motophyllic

I'm in NY state and although I have multiple motorcycles with Progressive they just confirmed that they cannot insure electric motorcycles.
Thank you to those that started this thread and commented. We are all learning together.
I’m in NY and just insured my EXR (full coverage) through State Farm.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
I am in Georgia. I just spent over an hour on the phone with Progressive escalating up the line in their service department. I have four other bikes insured and have had coverage with them since 1979 with no claims. Their current corporate policy is "electric bikes are unacceptable risk for coverage". I had called them three months ago before deciding to buy the ALTA and the agent said no problem with the electric motorcycle; just call and we'll add it to your policy. I don't know if they recently changed requirements, but it is extremely annoying since I pick the bike up tomorrow. I'll be quickly looking for coverage for all five bikes elsewhere.

And, some irony from the Progressive website:
Types of Motorcycles We Insure:

We’ll be ready for the next motorcycles
We insure more types of motorcycles now, but we also take a proactive approach. When a new type of motorcycle is getting ready to hit the market, we hop on and do a little “hands-on” research. So we can see what that bike is all about and basically have a policy ready before it’s even available. Tough job, right?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I am in Georgia. I just spent over an hour on the phone with Progressive escalating up the line in their service department. I have four other bikes insured and have had coverage with them since 1979 with no claims. Their current corporate policy is "electric bikes are unacceptable risk for coverage". I had called them three months ago before deciding to buy the ALTA and the agent said no problem with the electric motorcycle; just call and we'll add it to your policy. I don't know if they recently changed requirements, but it is extremely annoying since I pick the bike up tomorrow. I'll be quickly looking for coverage for all five bikes elsewhere.

Progress told me "no problem" when I called with the Alta vin prior to buying, my mistake was not getting a quote. After I purchased the bike, they told it would be $700 plus per year. No thanks. Moving my motorcycles and sleds over to Allstate shortly.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Progress told me "no problem" when I called with the Alta vin prior to buying, my mistake was not getting a quote. After I purchased the bike, they told it would be $700 plus per year. No thanks. Moving my motorcycles and sleds over to Allstate shortly.

That is interesting because they told me the no-exception corporate policy was no electric motorcycles. It would have been much better if they could have given me some kind of quote, even if ridiculously expensive or liability only.

Still looking forward to picking up the bike tomorrow, but guess I will stick with off-road this weekend and will be using a big lock. :ricky:

leeo45

Geezer in denial
After a bit of investigation and calling, here is the information I was able to gather regarding insurance coverage for electric motorcycles and in some cases specifically the ALTA EXR. It looks like Progressive may be the only company excluding our bikes. This info is for the state of Georgia.

Based on my experience with Progressive, you might or might not get the same answers if you call any of these companies tomorrow. All other usual disclaimers apply, YMMV, only my 2 cents worth, etc., etc.

* Progressive: No coverage for electric motorcycles due to “unacceptable risk”. (Note: some people have been able to get liability-only coverage in other states)

* State Farm: Liability, Comprehensive, and Collision (did not search VIN)

* Geico: Liability, Comprehensive, and Collision (did not search VIN)

* Foremost: Liability, Comprehensive, and Collision (VIN identified; ALTA and EXR model already in their system)

* Dairyland: Liability, Comprehensive, and Collision (did not search VIN)

* Nationwide: Liability, Comprehensive, and Collision. (Manual entry by agent – VIN not recognized)

* Allstate: Liability, Comprehensive, and Collision. (Manual entry by agent – VIN not recognized)

I went with Allstate since I have my home and cars with them. I have a very helpful agent and the policy included several discounts.

snydes

Staff member
After a bit of investigation and calling, here is the information I was able to gather regarding insurance coverage for electric motorcycles and in some cases specifically the ALTA EXR. It looks like Progressive may be the only company excluding our bikes. This info is for the state of Georgia.

Based on my experience with Progressive, you might or might not get the same answers if you call any of these companies tomorrow. All other usual disclaimers apply, YMMV, only my 2 cents worth, etc., etc.

* Progressive: No coverage for electric motorcycles due to “unacceptable risk”. (Note: some people have been able to get liability-only coverage in other states)

* State Farm: Liability, Comprehensive, and Collision (did not search VIN)

* Geico: Liability, Comprehensive, and Collision (did not search VIN)

* Foremost: Liability, Comprehensive, and Collision (VIN identified; ALTA and EXR model already in their system)

* Dairyland: Liability, Comprehensive, and Collision (did not search VIN)

* Nationwide: Liability, Comprehensive, and Collision. (Manual entry by agent – VIN not recognized)

* Allstate: Liability, Comprehensive, and Collision. (Manual entry by agent – VIN not recognized)

I went with Allstate since I have my home and cars with them. I have a very helpful agent and the policy included several discounts.

Excellent info! Thanks for taking the time!

ChrisG

Thanks to everyone who replied, and especially Leeo45 for all his research. I switched both my bikes over to Foremost today with full coverage, and I'm paying about 1/3 of what Progressive was charging me for full coverage on the Ducati and liability only on the Alta. Now I'm glad Progressive wouldn't provide full coverage and caused me to shop around.

Top Bottom