Insurance and Titling in the US

Oded

Just curious to know - don't you have insurance problems with these bikes?

What I mean is that, in Israel, it's out of the question to ride outside a closed course with a vehicle that is not road permitted (only the EX and SM are permitted). If you accidently hit a bicycle, hiker and such, you have no insurance to cover you. This is why I am not sure we'll see many MX/R around here. They can not be insured because they are not road legit.
I see videos of people riding off road trails with their MX and MXR models in the US. Never going to happen over here.

snydes

Staff member
I have a standard full coverage policy on all my bikes, and none of them could be legally registered for the road. I think every insurance company probably has different policies on that over here. Most of the pay to ride off road areas I have been to require proof of liability insurance, tracks typically do not. At least the ones I’ve been to.

rayivers

Oded - in the United States, MC registration/insurance laws depend on the individual states, and vary a lot. In CT where I live, AFAIK electric motorcycles are still considered 'scooters' (< 49cc) and don't need to be registered at all (don't know about insurance).

Ray

Oded

Thanks for the clarification guys. Amazing how different these rules are from country to country (and state to state).

snydes

Staff member
We have processes in the U.S. to convert an off road vehicle for road use, but as with the insurance we talked about before, it varies wildly from state to state. I actually just went through the process on two bikes here in Pennsylvania to license them for the road.

Slayer

I just contacted the Sec. of State here in Illinois. Sounds like they have had 3 applications for EV MC plates. And, it seems to have caused an issue because word is, the State is currently only pressing full size EV plates. So, some may ask: Why not just get the regular MC plates? Well, the EV plate program in Illinois is offered at a not to exceed bi-annual registration fee of $35 (actuall, $18/yr.) opposed to $49 annual fee for regular MC plate. Ironically, I was offered a set of full size plates (front and back) for mounting on the bike. Could you imagine>>>WTF. I declined. and was told, they would continue to work to get those EV MC plates made, but with no gauanretee as to when that may occur. That brought me to the issue of Title, and although I was told it could be processed, the norm is to issue Title in conjunction with the plates. Again, I decided to wait assuming having the Title processed may ultimatly cause further confusion with getting my plates. Conclusion for me: Title & Registration for EV MC in IL is in "limbo".
Fortunately, Allstate Insurance has issued a regular full coverage MC policy on the bike with an annual fee of $139, Huh? OK.

Suppose the last issue I will be looking into is collecting the presumed EV tax credit come filling time next year.

"It ain't easy being green"

allesad

FYI to anyone trying to title a 2017 ALTA or transfer title between states. I have done both with my used, 2017 "plated" MX (eMXr). DMV had a hard time determining the value of the bike since their Blue Book only had the $15K OEM pricing. So they tried to charge me tax as if it was brand new! The solution is to provide them with your Bill of Sale as means to get them to tax the bike at a more reasonable valuation.

Trialsman

I converted my '17 MX to a road EX by installing all necessary items; high/low beam lights, front/rear switched brake lights, horn, mirrors, chain guard, DOT tires, safety reflectors, and turn signals. I didn't have to worry about the Db requirement. :) I have full coverage from my insurance (Geico) and it is plated. I paid PA sales tax for the titling and had to have it checked by a PA Enhanced Inspection Officer when it was converted for the road but now it is just a normal vehicle. PA is pretty tough but it is doable if you dot all the iiiii and cross all the tttttt.

privateer703

AOF Addict
I'm working on doing the same thing. For the brake lights did you install hydraulic activated switches, or did you mount lever switches? I didn't think about reflectors or the chain guard, those are required in PA?

Trialsman

I used a hydraulic for the back and a micro switch for the front. Although not required, if the inspector is going to give you grief he could. It just makes the process less painful. BTW a KTM/Husky chain guard fits with little modification.

privateer703

AOF Addict
Any chance you could send me a link to the chain guard and the micro switch? My initial search wasn't very successful, it keeps coming up with the chain guide and the chain slider. I have two hydraulic switches I'm hoping will work with both front and back, but I may use the micro switch instead.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
The rear brake light switch is KTM pn 62111051000 $20 and the front switch is KTM 77711050000. I don't remember the price.

snydes

Staff member
@Trialsman , did you apply for a PA title with the MSO? I was under the impression that the way Alta had the MSO’s written the title would come back as a regular MC title and not ORV.

I’ve gone through the enhanced inspection process twice. It’s not terrible if the guy that you’re working with isn’t a prick. It is a lot of additional expense though.

privateer703

AOF Addict
@Trialsman , did you apply for a PA title with the MSO? I was under the impression that the way Alta had the MSO’s written the title would come back as a regular MC title and not ORV.

I’ve gone through the enhanced inspection process twice. It’s not terrible if the guy that you’re working with isn’t a prick. It is a lot of additional expense though.

Snydes, do you mean the additional expense of the chainguard/reflectors or are there additional inspection fees? i'm going to be getting my tags in VA first, but will eventually have to go through the process in PA.