Installing the KYB SSS fork on the Alta Redshift

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Making a new thread for KYB SSS fans:

I have a 2017 Alta Redshift MX, and I saw you put a Yamaha YZ450F front end on yours. Did you use the YZ triple clamps? Did they fit right on the Alta frame? Or did you use some sort of custom axle with the Yamaha front end, as the Alta triple clamps space the forks wider than a normal bike. Please provide pics.

Thanks!

After I revalved the fork to the specifications that Alta had developed I am now very happy with the original revalved fork. But if you want to try a KYB SSS setup on your Alta, then there are a couple of ways of doing it:

Method 1:
Buy a KYB SSS cartridge kit for a 2014 KTM. Several companies offer such kits. They replace all the WP fork's internals with the KYB internals. I do not know all about such kits, but in case of one tuner that I know you have to send the fork to him and he does some modifications to the bottom ends of the fork legs. I do not know enough of what's involved though, so do your own research.

Method 2:
I happened to have a 2015 YZ450F with KYB SSS in my garage at that time. I first tried the KYB SSS forks on my 2015 Husky, and I loved them so much that I went on eBay and bought the whole YZ450F front end, including the wheel, axle, two forks, and the front brake with the master cylinder. After I sold these two bikes I still had a spare YZ450F front end laying around:

1 IMG_20180407_1225525.jpg

The 4CS legs are slightly thicker near the bottom clamps. I had to use aluminum 0.015" thick shim stock from McMaster.com to get the KYB legs to clamp properly.

2 IMG_20180407_1229280.jpg

Also, the Alta's triple clamps spread the fork legs 14mm farther apart, presumably for the wider SM wheel.

Initially, I just used the stock YZ front axle with about 6mm worth of spacers/washers from a hardware store in the left side. It still clamped on the right side, and I used Loctite on the left side to keep the nut from getting lost. It was hanging just by 3 threads. I also had to use longer brake caliper bolts and 6mm worth of washers/spacers to move the brake caliper towards the wheel.

3 IMG_20180213_2057183.jpg 4 IMG_20180213_2057409.jpg

This setup worked for me for a few weeks, until I finally got around to revalve the stock fork.

While at it, I bought another YZ front axle and the right side spacer. I took them to a machine shop to have the axle lengthened and the left spacer counter-bored. Counter-boring the spacer allowed the axle to move farther to the left.

5 IMG_20180407_1226041.jpg 6 IMG_20180407_1227355.jpg

Here are the sketches with dimensions:

7 New Doc 2018-02-13 (1)_1.jpg 8 New Doc 2018-02-13 (1)_2.jpg

As I said, I haven't used this setup yet. But if I decide that my fork needs another revalve, I now have an option to revalve either the stock 4CS fork or the KYB SSS fork, and test them back-to-back at the track.

ageess

We used a Kayaba fork as well an the original Alta wheel and grind up the fork foods to alta/ktm specs and drilled one more hole in the holder of the caliper so we need no adapter we used a 270mm disc to improve braking. It works perfekt and the improvement is min 100%

1556643320798.jpg

IMG_20190807_174013.jpg

F451

If you used the bolt on KTM ‘13-‘15 triples I wonder if you could avoid modifying the spacers, caliper brackets, bolts, etc when installing the KYB SSS forks on the Alta?

Conversely, I wonder if the Yamaha triples would bolt onto the Alta headstock, then use everything from the SSS forks setup (axle, wheel, brakes, etc).

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
If you used the bolt on KTM ‘13-‘15 triples I wonder if you could avoid modifying the spacers, caliper brackets, bolts, etc when installing the KYB SSS forks on the Alta?
Probably! If the KTM fork leg spacing is the same as the YZ fork spacing, and 14mm narrower than the Alta's.

EDIT: Of course they are. I used the YZ forks on my 2015 Husky with no axle/spacer/caliper bolt modifications. Just the 0.015" shims in the lower clamps.

F451

Probably! If the KTM fork leg spacing is the same as the YZ fork spacing, and 14mm narrower than the Alta's.

EDIT: Of course they are. I used the YZ forks on my 2015 Husky with no axle/spacer/caliper bolt modifications. Just the 0.015" shims in the lower clamps.

Well I would say that is HUGE! Lol. The KTM/Husky triples swap is easy peasy. You do end up with a slightly different offset, and its not adjustable like the Alta, but I think the trade off of getting the SSS forks makes all that a non-issue.

Scooter584

Perfect.....the thread I was looking for. Seems like swapping tripple would be the faster/easier ( more $$ though) vrs making a few shims and machining an axle but I could have that done a buddy is an ex machinist and has a lathe at his house. So that brings me to my next question but looks like F451 kind of answered the offset or any other differences between the clamps. I am pumped to hear about this. Going to find some clamps now

Scooter584

Anyone tried to mount up the brembo caliper to the SSS for lugs, I'm sure they don't line up wondering what kind of machining can be done? The brembos are pretty damn good but wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I love spring forks, just cannot get used to the air

F451

Perfect.....the thread I was looking for. Seems like swapping tripple would be the faster/easier ( more $$ though) vrs making a few shims and machining an axle but I could have that done a buddy is an ex machinist and has a lathe at his house. So that brings me to my next question but looks like F451 kind of answered the offset or any other differences between the clamps. I am pumped to hear about this. Going to find some clamps now

I installed '15 KTM 500 EXC triples/stem, offset is 20 mm. '18 Alta MXR stock triples/stem offset is 22 mm, can be set to 18 mm. I didn't notice any difference with the offsets doing the casual trail riding that I do.

Its an easy swap, I detailed it here started with post #13 if you're interested:
2018 MXR Mods

Scooter584

Ya thank you guys, I see your swap looks pretty easy just looking for some triple clamps now only I will use kayaba forks and yamaha front wheel and probably brake. I just really want to try it out if I like which I'm sure I will I might make it permanent