Installing brake strobe questions

2018SM-R

Any idea where I can find the rear brake switch to install positives and grounds on a brake strobe to keep cars back and increase visibility?
Manual isn’t helping me here and it’s a small device with pos in pos out plus ground. I want to avoid cutting my bike up. Thx.

Bodie_Z

I dont think a strobe light will be compatible with an Alta. Altas are very specific about how they handle low voltage loads. Every light has a dedicated output and the bike expects each light to draw a certain amount of current. If the current deviates too far from what the bike expects, the bike will shut off that channel until you cycle the power. A strobe light is going to cycle the light on and off rapidly which will cause the bike to disable that channel.

I think it would be very difficult, but maybe someone here has found a workaround for it?

Miles Prower

Any idea where I can find the rear brake switch to install positives and grounds on a brake strobe to keep cars back and increase visibility?
Manual isn’t helping me here and it’s a small device with pos in pos out plus ground. I want to avoid cutting my bike up. Thx.

I've had a Vololights flashing license plate frame installed on my SM for most of its life.

Installation is super-easy, because the Vololight comes with a tool-less "clamp" that pulls power from the wires that feed your license plate lamp. Once you've got the Vololight mounted, you use the supplied magnet to turn on calibration mode. (There are no physical switches on the Vololight because it's completely sealed — hence the magnet.) Once calibrated, the Vololight flashes brightly whenever it senses deceleration.

The reason why I chose the Vololight is because with the SM's aggressive "engine-braking" — and therefore less need to use the actual brakes — I was nearly rear-ended several times during my first month or so of owning the SM.

My moto buddies who have followed me have all been super-impressed... and many of them have bought Vololights themselves.

Plus, it looks decent too — very contemporary.

(I'm not affiliated with Vololight in any way — just a happy customer.)

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Ty. No longer available on Amazon.
The carbon fiber version is not available. It looks like the regular matte black version is available.

Miles Prower

The carbon fiber version is not available. It looks like the regular matte black version is available.

That's the version I have. (I purchased my first one via crowdfunding, and I'm pretty sure it was MORE expensive than the Amazon Prime price!)