I knew I had a screw loose but..

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Poor Ed got on the road at 9:15pm tonight! 13 hours to diagnose and charge the affected cells to match the others. Fortunately my Ebay HP power supply arrived mid afternoon! Man, that thing makes working on these modules easier. Once I figured out how to use the lab grade device, we were able to get the cells charged up to match the rest.

Tom'w Ed is going to get the battery back in the bike and take a look the P group voltages. I'm sure there will be some type of cell damage due to that screw shorting things out, but we won't know the extent until he gets a bunch of charge cycles on it. Time will tell on this one.

snydes

Staff member
I assume the state of charge is displaying correctly? Running it through a couple charge cycles is going to be the real test. If it does work out consider buying yourself a lottery ticket.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Poor Ed got on the road at 9:15pm tonight! 13 hours to diagnose and charge the affected cells to match the others. Fortunately my Ebay HP power supply arrived mid afternoon! Man, that thing makes working on these modules easier. Once I figured out how to use the lab grade device, we were able to get the cells charged up to match the rest.

Tom'w Ed is going to get the battery back in the bike and take a look the P group voltages. I'm sure there will be some type of cell damage due to that screw shorting things out, but we won't know the extent until he gets a bunch of charge cycles on it. Time will tell on this one.
Can you give us some details on the eBay HP power supply you got? Comments and review?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
The SOC meter looks correct. Lets see how it does after several charge/discharge cycles

AF1DF61E-6C23-41C6-A81D-A3DC13AD5D55.jpeg

Edabdo

I must say...Damn. Thats gonna be an interesting one. Were there any screws missing on the HVPCBA?
All other screws appeared to be intact. This screw was lodged under the cover and had to have been left in as it was reassembled. Pretty sure this was a reconditioned battery put into a new unit.

Oded

Not strictly related, but how do I charge a module (one of the four) to bring its voltage back up, so the Alta charger can identify it & start charging and balancing the pack?
Any 70v lipo charger can be used?

Talking about a bike that went into deep discharge, that the charger will not start the charging process (not mine luckily).

snydes

Staff member
I use a Hewlett-Packard 6634A 100v dc power supply to do whole modules. A 70v should get you to the point where the pack will charge if that is all you have, but if you have to buy something anyway, go 100v. Does not have to be a lipo specific unit.

Oded

I use a Hewlett-Packard 6634A 100v dc power supply to do whole modules. A 70v should get you to the point where the pack will charge if that is all you have, but if you have to buy something anyway, go 100v. Does not have to be a lipo specific unit.

Perfect. Thanks Steve.