I installed full LED lighting on my MX

Trialsman

I bought a '17 MX and put full LED lighting on it using a WP Lion battery under the seat as a total loss system. After a long day I through a battery tender on it and with in 30min it is fully charged again. This way it does not draw from the main battery and lose range. I ride mostly single track here in PA and it's suspension is very amenable to that. PA is not the easiest state to get a plate but I had no problem. It is plated and inspected now. The only thing I want to work on is some form of electric clutch to offer finer control over the power/wheelspin on really gnarly stuff. Overall I am ver happy with the MX converted to EX. My other bike for this purpose was a greatly modified KTM FreeRide 250r.

Speedkills

While not an electric clutch I just put a left hand rear brake on and it's still too early to tell but I'm hoping I can fan it like I do a clutch to help with wheelspin.

Rudy G

I bought a '17 MX and put full LED lighting on it using a WP Lion battery under the seat as a total loss system. After a long day I through a battery tender on it and with in 30min it is fully charged again. This way it does not draw from the main battery and lose range. I ride mostly single track here in PA and it's suspension is very amenable to that. PA is not the easiest state to get a plate but I had no problem. It is plated and inspected now. The only thing I want to work on is some form of electric clutch to offer finer control over the power/wheelspin on really gnarly stuff. Overall I am ver happy with the MX converted to EX. My other bike for this purpose was a greatly modified KTM FreeRide 250r.
Mr. Trailsman, I want exactly what you have! Could you please, please, share your parts/lighting products and any other information that might be helpful. I want lighting for my MX mostly to look street legal, but if they work, all the better. I could imagine researching this to death so whatever you could tell me would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

Trialsman

I guess now that this part has been split off to it's own thread I am obligated. I will post up pictures and details how I did the lighting conversion for my MX. It started with me buying the headlight and tail light from Alta for the EX model. The power is from a WP LIion battery from a KTM/Husaberg 450-570 and the harness was built to connect up the switches, flasher, LED bulbs I bought on eBay.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds pretty straightforward to me. If you could post a link to the LED bulbs that might be good enough.

I am assuming nothing special was needed to make the LEDs work from a 12V battery, right?

Trialsman

I did some research on the parts I used. These are currently on eBay and I copied the exact name so you can find them.

Motorcycle Handlebar light On Off Switch Waterproof ATV Headlight Fog Spot w1 $6.09
IMG_5299.jpg

Motorcycle ATV 7/8" Handlebar Horn Turn Signal Headlight Electrical Start Switch $8.54
IMG_5298.jpg

Ducati Brembo Front Brake Master Cylinder Lever Light Microswitch Micro Switch $24.99
IMG_5297.jpg

Universal 4pcs 12V Motorcycle LED Turn Signal Light Indicators Amber Blinker Light $16.35
IMG_5300.jpg

I used the stalked turn signals on the rear at first but wiped them off on a tree, so I went to the Sickass flush mounts.
IMG_5301.jpg

2x LED Flash Strobe Controller Box Flasher Module Brake Tail Stop Light Lamp 24V $9.00 You only need one but it will make your brake flash for 5 seconds then go to solid.

Trialsman

You also need a horn , this is mounted behind the shroud near where the frame tube is bolted.
IMG_5303.jpg

Some states require a chain guard. The one from the KTM/Husaberg fit perfectly with only minor trimming to get the fit.
IMG_5304.jpg

Trialsman

The WP battery was the size for the Husaberg 570 and can fit under the seat. You must remove the seat and unbolt the top plastic fender. Underneath you will see a rather large cavity where the battery will go on its side. There is a little trimming that must be done. Mainly the one large cross rib must be removed. I do not have any pictures of this are and the bike would need torn apart to expose it. Cut carefully and it will eventually fit. Another hint that I did was to cut a block of wood the same size as the battery. I laid it in place and started the screws on the top fender piece. as I snugged them up I played a heat gun on the areas that needed "adjusting". The only thing that is visible are two about 1/2' bumps under the seat where the battery corners need a little room.

Trialsman

Make up your wiring harness making sure to protect it from sharp edges and heat at the top of the battery. All wires can be run along side the two existing wires at the front top of the frame. I have mine wired so the brake is always on, the headlight is switched on, then high/low using all LED bulbs. It will easily last the entire day and I put a lead for a battery tender on the battery which I have located by the seat mounting bolt. After a ride a tender will charge it in a half hour and I am ready for the next ride. In this way you have full street legal lighting with absolutely no drain from your main battery range. Good luck if you decide to make this mod. It works well.

Trialsman

No problem at all if it helps someone. Guess what I found on another hard drive? Here is a picture of the battery location under the seat. You can see the area that will need to be modified to make room for the battery. The little box at the base of the battery is an LED flasher for the turn signals.
IMG_3826.jpg

Gertech

This is really cool! I'm going to do this on my MXR. I like the idea of a stand alone system that doesn't tap in to the bikes power output. That's one thing I'd be worried about that could cause potential damage to the electrical system, and I'm not willing to risk that considering Alta's current situation and parts availability. Do you know what the output of your headlight is? It would be sweet to run one of the Baja Designs headlights but I'm not sure it would run very long on that battery.

Helgar

I am wanting to do the exact conversion you did can you give me some info like what headlight assembly did you use. thanks

Top Bottom