I found an almost perfect Alta bike stand

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking for a lower bike stand for my SMR. The SM wheels are smaller, the bike sits lower, so I have to lift it too high to put on the regular bike stand, which is unnecessary lifting. So I thought I would try a Tusk Aluminum MX Mini Stand from RMATVMC. I have three of such stands in a regular 17" hight, but the Mini stand is only 14.5" tall. I thought it would work perfectly.
tus_16_alu_mx_min_sta-sil.jpg
It does work perfectly for the SMR, but I thought I would try it on my MXR. It works there too!

IMG_20200425_1311450.jpg

Both wheels are 1/4 - 1/2" from the ground. No unnecessary lifting! I wouldn't use it on dirt because it could sink a little, but this stand is perfect for use in the garage or on any hard surface. I love it!

Here is an eBay link where it sells for $45.95 with free shipping, and an RMATVMC link where it sells for $39.99 plus $7 shipping.

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
I was looking for a lower bike stand for my SMR. The SM wheels are smaller, the bike sits lower, so I have to lift it too high to put on the regular bike stand, which is unnecessary lifting. So I thought I would try a Tusk Aluminum MX Mini Stand from RMATVMC. I have three of such stands in a regular 17" hight, but the Mini stand is only 14.5" tall. I thought it would work perfectly.
View attachment 5246
It does work perfectly for the SMR, but I thought I would try it on my MXR. It works there too!

View attachment 5245

Both wheels are 1/4 - 1/2" from the ground. No unnecessary lifting! I wouldn't use it on dirt because it could sink a little, but this stand is perfect for use in the garage or on any hard surface. I love it!

Here is an eBay link where it sells for $45.95 with free shipping, and an RMATVMC link where it sells for $39.99 plus $7 shipping.
DAMN! THAT'S A FINE LOOKIN' STAND! ;)

F451

View attachment 5258
i have an MSR one kinda like this. I am certainly too old to lift the Altas.

I had that one and it got wobbly after a while. Still worked fine but made me nervous. I gave it to a kid down the block, he was thrilled to get it, slight wobble and all. Replaced it with a KTM branded one, less wobbly, but the lift arm is too short, its a pain to use, no wonder the guy sold it to me, Lol.

Been on the lookout for a stand that doesn't require a big lift, the old back is not what it used to be. Might have to give that mini a try. Thanks for the post!

F451

I got me this one and I really like it. Seems pretty stout, slides under the Alta and doesn't wobble around like some of the cheaper stands when in the lifted position. View attachment 5273

That looks just like my KTM branded one that I have. I really like it, except when lowering the bike, the short lowering arm seems like it wants to snap up on me. Makes it awkward, the bike basically drops, instead of "lowering". The other wobbly stand I had, the handle is longer, so its easier for me to control the lowering action and do it more slowly.

What am I missing here? Do you guys just hook a foot under the handle and pull up and let the bike drop? Does it "drop" or does it lower more slowly?

And looking at Philip's pics, it looks like his bikes are barely lifted off the ground, so I guess it doesn't matter if they "drop" since its so close to the ground already.

I'll have to check my stand and see how far its lifting the bike off the ground, perhaps mine is lifting higher and makes it seem like an awkward drop when I try to lower it.

snydes

Staff member
That looks just like my KTM branded one that I have. I really like it, except when lowering the bike, the short lowering arm seems like it wants to snap up on me. Makes it awkward, the bike basically drops, instead of "lowering". The other wobbly stand I had, the handle is longer, so its easier for me to control the lowering action and do it more slowly.

What am I missing here? Do you guys just hook a foot under the handle and pull up and let the bike drop? Does it "drop" or does it lower more slowly?

And looking at Philip's pics, it looks like his bikes are barely lifted off the ground, so I guess it doesn't matter if they "drop" since its so close to the ground already.

I'll have to check my stand and see how far its lifting the bike off the ground, perhaps mine is lifting higher and makes it seem like an awkward drop when I try to lower it.

I agree 100%, this stand does not have any control of the lowering. I made the mistake once of trying to use my hand to let it down, doesn't work too well and usually results in it getting pinched. I've found when lowering it works best to just hook my toe under the lever and let it fly.