How-To : Install and Use Alta Multitool Software

leeo45

Geezer in denial
..... My advice would now be to not do any Linux or python updates. & save a copy of the VM files.

So..... for the luddites on the forum (me o_O) who have a late 2019 instance of Multitool on a dedicated laptop, can I just turn off all updates and keep it working in its 2019 form?

Hoping to avoid some automatic version update that kills the functionality, I haven't turned it on since seeing @TCMB371's post on 28Sept2020 about the problem with version dependencies. In fact, it probably hasn't been turned on since at least a month or more before that. If the answer is yes, how do I turn off the problematic updates? I can shut down all of the networks and internet access at the house if necessary while doing that.

wwmotors

So..... for the luddites on the forum (me o_O) who have a late 2019 instance of Multitool on a dedicated laptop, can I just turn off all updates and keep it working in its 2019 form?

Hoping to avoid some automatic version update that kills the functionality, I haven't turned it on since seeing @TCMB371's post on 28Sept2020 about the problem with version dependencies. In fact, it probably hasn't been turned on since at least a month or more before that. If the answer is yes, how do I turn off the problematic updates? I can shut down all of the networks and internet access at the house if necessary while doing that.
I would switch it on , but wireless turned off! Then go to "Update preferences" and switch off the automatic updates. Then You should be safe!

TeslaRaptor

I would switch it on , but wireless turned off! Then go to "Update preferences" and switch off the automatic updates. Then You should be safe!

that is the safest option. When I installed Ubuntu 18.04.5 it immediately asked me if I wanted to upgrade to the latest version on Ubuntu. I said no. And didn’t install any other updates (there was a pop-up window that asked if I wanted to update the current set of packages, I also said no to that). So that should cover it.
If you tell me which version of Ubuntu you have then I can try to find a video that covers the steps.

effinsiok

After lots of trial and error, I finally got my ancient Windows XP laptop to dual boot into Ubuntu and run multitool. I built a usb to CAN adapter using the info on this thread: Open Source DIY Alta Multitool CAN Bus Adapter and can see a bunch of data, but am not able to load new firmware (I've tried with the "Update Firmware" button and the Loader tab). The firmware comes up as unknown, but I have MX35 so I'm guessing it's very old. Here is what I'm seeing, any thoughts?

File_000.jpeg
File_001.jpeg
File_002.jpeg
1608606081524.png

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
@effinsiok based on those revisions, your bike is pretty vintage. I would recommend individually targeting the specfic files for the ACM, DCCP and Inverter. The BRD BCU should upload cleanly after. Also that "Update Firmware" button is driven by your VIN. Which never existed when that bike was manufactured. Hence the confusion of MT.

(Keep also in mind that this version of MT is was internal, the dealer version might be easier to use for initial FW deployment)

Also take note once the inverter firmware does take (its long and very tedious) you will have to time the motor. All automated in MT.

VINSANITY

Wanted to give a shout out to Bryan H. for helping us use the multi-tool today to upload latest firmware to an MXR - Bryan’s effort in getting the Multitool working and helping AOF members has resolved many problems so riders can get back to electric mayhem in Alta land

Brad 594

Bryan H. your expertise helped Vince and I get my 2018 MXR updated to the latest firmware 1.5.1. The process went smooth with your coaching. I was getting a "STOPPED 103" error code when charing the Alta this past weekend on the Fast Charger. Hopefully, the update to latest firmware will eliminate the error. Thanks so much again!

IMG_5679 2.jpg

IMG_5675 3.jpg

IMG_5676 2.jpg

enjoythesilenc

Other than updating firmware or checking for error codes, does anybody "play" with multitool? Analyse data from your rides? Where do the ride logs live on your laptop once offloaded and can you do anything with them outside multitool?

Is the info displayed under Raw Can the entirety of what is flowing on the CAN? If not, has anyone "sniffed" for the rest of it?

LAstly, during motor timing, it looks like the motor is just "cogged" from one magnet position to the next. This allows the system to calibrate where the position sensor is oriented with respect to cogging position of the rotor?

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Other than updating firmware or checking for error codes, does anybody "play" with multitool? Analyse data from your rides? Where do the ride logs live on your laptop once offloaded and can you do anything with them outside multitool?

I thought that I might do that, however it seems to take impossibly long to download the log files. I downloaded the files the first time I hooked up each bike and haven't done it since. It's a better use of my time to actually ride. I suppose that if I ever have a problem with one of my bikes I'll reconsider that plan.

Slayer

Is MT still viable to install?
I developed Code 37 and want to attempt to clear it. I have been struggling to get MT installed and running.
There may be some indication that it has aged and can no longer be installed and started (Gathered this from my conversation over this with Rashid510 on the forum).

Slayer

I built a barebones Ubuntu virtual machine with Alta Multitool installed and configured. This should make it easy for anyone to get set up with multitool.

Details have been added to the first post.
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to provide this setup. Everything worked out on my end, and I was able to clear the fault codes.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I've never tried that one, but it might if you can get the baud rate correct. All the Alta stuff is based off the LAWICEL canusb, which the one linked is.