How-To : Install and Use Alta Multitool Software

TeslaRaptor

MultiTool is now working. The engineer that got the install to work is documenting what he did to get it to work. A few comments:

1) MultiTool was not initially seeing the dongle. I think this was because I didn't have the dongle on the bike as well as connected to the USB port prior to starting the VM. Not sure if this was the cause, but to get it working I followed these steps: 1) I shut down the VM. 2) Had the bike connected (but not on)..and 3) restarted the linux VM (with the "LAWICEL CANBUS" allocated to the VM...not the Host OS). and MultiTool recognized the dongle with no other changes.

2) Can someone confirm that if you do not see Red or 'flags' on this page then no faults are present: (I assume that is correct, but would like to confirm).

No-Faults.png

And does anything look 'odd' here (from the Dash) view.

Dash.png

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
If you see no flags in MT = your good. Is this the bike with the Code 36? Or a different vehicle?

(Usually with MT I leave the dongle plugged into the USB port) .

TeslaRaptor

If you see no flags in MT = your good. Is this the bike with the Code 36? Or a different vehicle?

(Usually with MT I leave the dongle plugged into the USB port) .

I have no bike with Code 36. I have a "new" 2018 MXR (the bike above)...with 9.66 Miles. And another "demo" 2018 MXR that I have not hooked up MultiTool to yet (I still have it apart in the garage while the new Delta wing and plastics come in (LHRB installed...just need to add brake fluid and bleed it).

My paranoid concern was that the new bike could have a Code 36....as it has not been ridden enough for the Code 36 to show up...but the feedback on here is....stop worrying and ride it. Cheers!

snydes

Staff member
MultiTool is now working. The engineer that got the install to work is documenting what he did to get it to work. A few comments:

1) MultiTool was not initially seeing the dongle. I think this was because I didn't have the dongle on the bike as well as connected to the USB port prior to starting the VM. Not sure if this was the cause, but to get it working I followed these steps: 1) I shut down the VM. 2) Had the bike connected (but not on)..and 3) restarted the linux VM (with the "LAWICEL CANBUS" allocated to the VM...not the Host OS). and MultiTool recognized the dongle with no other changes.

2) Can someone confirm that if you do not see Red or 'flags' on this page then no faults are present: (I assume that is correct, but would like to confirm).

View attachment 6291

And does anything look 'odd' here (from the Dash) view.

View attachment 6292

We (or at least I) like to see the battery tab to get a good visual of things. You would need to view that tab at different state of charges to really evaluate, although you likely are fine.

Thank you for working on the multitool install!

TeslaRaptor

Just to update the wider team....I have an engineer engaged to troubleshoot what is happening with the package dependencies. Will report back when I know more.

I now have the new/revised install steps. I want to try them in a fresh ubuntu VM to ensure they work before I distribute the instructions.....but the VM I got from the engineer worked.....so I fully expect the new instructions to also work. Will work on it ASAP or the latest this weekend.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I now have the new/revised install steps. I want to try them in a fresh ubuntu VM to ensure they work before I distribute the instructions.....but the VM I got from the engineer worked.....so I fully expect the new instructions to also work. Will work on it ASAP or the latest this weekend.
That is great news! I have a couple test machines just waiting for the new instructions to try. Looking forward to your update.

TeslaRaptor

That is great news! I have a couple test machines just waiting for the new instructions to try. Looking forward to your update.

Here are the steps/changes necessary to get MultiTool to build/run:

1). Start with Ubuntu version 18.04.5. (and do not upgrade to a later version of Ubuntu when prompted to do so). This older version of Ubuntu maps better to the dependencies of MultiTool. Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (Bionic Beaver)

2) Follow the normal install steps at the start of this thread as per @TCMB371 (Huge thanks to him for the great videos and instructions).

When you get to the below steps in the installation process then see the changes/specifications in BOLD below:

################## Installation ##################

1. Extract AltaMT-Engineering.tar.xz to a location of your choice
2. Press "CTRL+ALT+T" on your keyboard to open Terminal
3. Run the following commands:
sudo apt-get install python-pip
sudo apt-get install python-wxtools
sudo apt-get install python-crcmod
sudo apt-get install curl
sudo apt-get install rsync
sudo pip install pyserial
Note: None of the above should have installation errors....if they do then you recheck that you are on Ubuntu 18.04.05
4. Now to install the correct versions of the pip packages. Probably the source of the compile errors previously.
sudo pip install six==1.13.0
sudo pip install rsa==4.5
sudo pip install setuptools==42.0

These should also install on Ubuntu 18.04.5 with no install errors.
5. There are two Multitool versions included.
You must install 3.36.19.E first.
3.37.11.ET is optional and must be installed after 3.36.19.E.
3.37.11 offers some additional refinements that weren't yet released.
6. Navigate to extraction location, open "redshift_multitool-3.36.19.E" folder. "setup.py" will be there. Right click, select "Open in Terminal"
7. Type "sudo python setup.py install"
8. The first time you run the ("sudo python setup.py install") command, it will compile but with a few errors. Run the command a 2nd time and it will compile without errors.
9. (OPTIONAL) Navigate to extraction location, open "redshift_multitool-3.37.11.ET" folder. "setup.py" will be there. Right click, select "Open in Terminal"
10. (OPTIONAL) Type "sudo python setup.py install"

Continue as per @TCMB371 's instructions.

Enjoy!

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Here are the steps/changes necessary to get MultiTool to build/run:

1). Start with Ubuntu version 18.04.5. (and do not upgrade to a later version of Ubuntu when prompted to do so). This older version of Ubuntu maps better to the dependencies of MultiTool. Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (Bionic Beaver)

2) Follow the normal install steps at the start of this thread as per @TCMB371 (Huge thanks to him for the great videos and instructions).

When you get to the below steps in the installation process then see the changes/specifications in BOLD below:

################## Installation ##################

1. Extract AltaMT-Engineering.tar.xz to a location of your choice
2. Press "CTRL+ALT+T" on your keyboard to open Terminal
3. Run the following commands:
sudo apt-get install python-pip
sudo apt-get install python-wxtools
sudo apt-get install python-crcmod
sudo apt-get install curl
sudo apt-get install rsync
sudo pip install pyserial
Note: None of the above should have installation errors....if they do then you recheck that you are on Ubuntu 18.04.05
4. Now to install the correct versions of the pip packages. Probably the source of the compile errors previously.
sudo pip install six==1.13.0
sudo pip install rsa==4.5
sudo pip install setuptools==42.0

These should also install on Ubuntu 18.04.5 with no install errors.
5. There are two Multitool versions included.
You must install 3.36.19.E first.
3.37.11.ET is optional and must be installed after 3.36.19.E.
3.37.11 offers some additional refinements that weren't yet released.
6. Navigate to extraction location, open "redshift_multitool-3.36.19.E" folder. "setup.py" will be there. Right click, select "Open in Terminal"
8. The first time you run the ("sudo python setup.py install") command, it will compile but with a few errors. Run the command a 2nd time and it will compile without errors.
9. (OPTIONAL) Navigate to extraction location, open "redshift_multitool-3.37.11.ET" folder. "setup.py" will be there. Right click, select "Open in Terminal"

Continue as per @TCMB371 's instructions.

Enjoy!
Awesome! Will be trying this over the weekend.

wwmotors

Now in the Lockdown, I found the time, to install VirtualBox and Ubuntu. Everything is running well up to the Point: Right click on Setup.py, select "Open in Terminal". There is no Point "Open in terminal" in the list. What is wrong or is there another command to do the Setup of the MT Setup.py files? Thanks for Your help

TeslaRaptor

Now in the Lockdown, I found the time, to install VirtualBox and Ubuntu. Everything is running well up to the Point: Right click on Setup.py, select "Open in Terminal". There is no Point "Open in terminal" in the list. What is wrong or is there another command to do the Setup of the MT Setup.py files? Thanks for Your help
I am an old-school command line linux person....so didn't use the GUI....you would do something like:
open terminal (right click on the desktop and I think Terminal or Open Terminal is in that list)
cd ~/Downloads/AltaMT-Engineering/redshift_multitool-3.36.19.E (that assumes you downloaded the .tar.gz file to your Downloads folder....which is the default)
then do the normal steps:

wwmotors

I am an old-school command line linux person....so didn't use the GUI....you would do something like:
open terminal (right click on the desktop and I think Terminal or Open Terminal is in that list)
cd ~/Downloads/AltaMT-Engineering/redshift_multitool-3.36.19.E (that assumes you downloaded the .tar.gz file to your Downloads folder....which is the default)
then do the normal steps:
Thanks guys for Your help! After the 4th try, where 2 of them took several hours (I dont know why). The last installation worked out in only a few ninutes and the best: Everything is working now! I never worked with with Virtual Boxes, never with Ubuntu before. I took some time, to understand it! Thanks @TeslaRaptor and @TCMB371 for his work! Very important: There are 2 important remarks, which is only in the Yourtube video but not in the prescription: First run the 3.36.19.E version, before You install the 3.37.11.ET!!! And click on the USB logo in the virtual machine, otherwise the dongle is not working!
Cheers
WW

TeslaRaptor

Thanks guys for Your help! After the 4th try, where 2 of them took several hours (I dont know why). The last installation worked out in only a few ninutes and the best: Everything is working now! I never worked with with Virtual Boxes, never with Ubuntu before. I took some time, to understand it! Thanks @TeslaRaptor and @TCMB371 for his work! Very important: There are 2 important remarks, which is only in the Yourtube video but not in the prescription: First run the 3.36.19.E version, before You install the 3.37.11.ET!!! And click on the USB logo in the virtual machine, otherwise the dongle is not working!
Cheers
WW

Glad you got it working! My advice would now be to not do any Linux or python updates. & save a copy of the VM files.

wwmotors

Glad you got it working! My advice would now be to not do any Linux or python updates. & save a copy of the VM files.
Updates are already switched off! That was one reason, why it did not work! :) I have a dealer laptop from an LA dealer, because I bought all his bikes and equipement, when Alta closed. But the dealer software is only 20% of what the Multitool can do! No I can try the SM firmware. I want to try more engine breaking. The SM in map 4 has way more than the MXR !

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Cheers
WW
Keep in mind that running this in a VM under Windows is just one option. If you do that on an underpowered machine, it is going to run slower than a fat chick on a PW50 in a mud race!

You can also run into issues with virtualization settings in Windows/Virtual Box, and the USB issues that you had. And the install itself can take hours on a 2GB machine (don’t do it!)

I think a simpler option for most folks is to simply find a cheap laptop and just install linux only. It simplifies the process greatly. It will maximize the speed, and simplify the install process. If you are only going to use the laptop for MultiTool, this is your best option.

Alternatively, you can choose a dual-boot option with Windows & Linux, where you can boot to either OS. This is typically how I have setup machines that I have built for myself and others. A little more complicated, but better performance in both Windows and Linux.

wwmotors

Keep in mind that running this in a VM under Windows is just one option. If you do that on an underpowered machine, it is going to run slower than a fat chick on a PW50 in a mud race!

You can also run into issues with virtualization settings in Windows/Virtual Box, and the USB issues that you had. And the install itself can take hours on a 2GB machine (don’t do it!)

I think a simpler option for most folks is to simply find a cheap laptop and just install linux only. It simplifies the process greatly. It will maximize the speed, and simplify the install process. If you are only going to use the laptop for MultiTool, this is your best option.

Alternatively, you can choose a dual-boot option with Windows & Linux, where you can boot to either OS. This is typically how I have setup machines that I have built for myself and others. A little more complicated, but better performance in both Windows and Linux.
You are right: The plan is, when my VM machine is doing its job well as a spare, to install Multitool on the ALTA dealer laptop! There it will be like You mentioned. A laptop with Linux only, which job is only the ALTA service! Cheers

Oded

Updates are already switched off! That was one reason, why it did not work! :) I have a dealer laptop from an LA dealer, because I bought all his bikes and equipement, when Alta closed. But the dealer software is only 20% of what the Multitool can do! No I can try the SM firmware. I want to try more engine breaking. The SM in map 4 has way more than the MXR !

Let us know how the SM maps work for you. I have them on my EX and love it.

wwmotors

Let us know how the SM maps work for you. I have them on my EX and love it.
Sometimes i go for Supermoto in the cartinghall. There i need max regen for drifting into corners. But we have Corona lockdown for the next weeks, so i think, there will be no tests since spring 2021.