How-To : Install and Use Alta Multitool Software

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I'm glad everyone is finding these tutorials helpful. I wanted to add an additional tip for updating firmware on the bikes:

The "Open" button inside the Loader tab is way easier (and actually more powerful) to use than the "Update Firmware" button in the Versions tab. When using the function inside the Loader tab, there's no need to mess with the JSON file, and no need to place files in a specific directory. You simply select the directory where the firmware file (.zip extension) is located (from the download). Furthermore, for advanced use cases, lets say you're replacing a display on the bike, you may only want to load the firmware for the display, instead of "reflashing" the whole bike again. To do this, first unzip the [firmwarename].zip file so that each of the individual .aebin files are extracted. Then, use the "Open" button within the Loader tab and select the specific .aebin file for the display.

Note: If "Waiting for Target" is displayed for more than about 10 seconds inside the progress bar for any component, simply turn the key off on the bike until the blinking blue light on top of the battery pack (look through left side shroud gills) stops blinking, and then turn the key back to On. The update process should start after that.

I also want to give a PSA:

If you intend to try to "mix and match" .aebin files from different firmware pack versions for whatever reason, do so at your own risk. In some cases this will work (a few of us have done this), however you may run into compatibility issues between microcontrollers.

Marlle

Hi

Thanks for some great tutorials, in terms of installing the MT.

Im trying to get install the MT ect. But i keep getting this message?. Does anyone got some tricks up their sleve i can try:)?.

1573153594120.png

Thanks

Marlle

@schwankl i have enabled the vt-x in the bios. The strange thing is that when testing with securAble is says that the processor doesn’t support hardware virtualization?

1DAAD38D-8098-407E-8CEF-FA7B3F6EB70E.jpeg

image.jpg

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
@schwankl i have enabled the vt-x in the bios. The strange thing is that when testing with securAble is says that the processor doesn’t support hardware virtualization?

View attachment 4065

View attachment 4066

I had the same issue on a machine with only 4GB. I upgraded it to 8GB and the problem went away. I had previously enabled virtualization in the bios and disabled hyper-v, but said it didn’t support it until it had enough memory to swap.

Marlle

My laptop is a 8GB, so I don’t think it’s a matter of to little capacity🤔.

Maybe I should try with a new clean laptop an see how it turns out.

Marlle

Next issue is when trying to create the shortcut, i get this message when using the first command in the terminal: Missing operand after sudo chmod -R a+rwx/home/redshift/.alta

Anyone has a fix for that?.

Thanks

Marlle

I finally got the mt to work, and now it has begun to upload data. Just how much data is there? The bike has been synchronizing most of the day, and it’s still going.

It says it has reached file 77/80.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I finally got the mt to work, and now it has begun to upload data. Just how much data is there? The bike has been synchronizing most of the day, and it’s still going.

Ehhh that does not really do much anymore (server with that data "sending" doesnt work)

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor

All Redshifts record data logs when the key is turned on. The number of stored logs you have depends on how long you've had the bike and how many key on events there have been. Unless you really care to see all of the logs for your past key-on events, you don't have to wait for MT to download all of them. Downloading the logs off the bike takes quite a while.

Marlle

I cant see the .alta directory when i acces the files?. I know its in danish but as you can see the .alta directory isen`t there.

1574019081729.png

Another thing is that i get these 2 faults i cant clear in the mt? Is this normal when the model is a mxr.

1574019233600.png

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I updated a friends MX that had a low beam fault. After the firmware flash the low beam fault went away.

also after the firmware flash the motor sync has required.

Yeah motor sync may be required after firmware update if the bike originally had early firmware on it. It seems like the timing algorithm is a bit stricter with newer firmware. I've seen bikes that won't time at all on the new firmware, and it took some Macgyvering to get it to time.