How stiff can the EX get?

Jon

Hey,

So with spring coming up, I'm starting to think about trying my EX out at some tracks. I love my 2 stroke track bike, but it's hard to go back after getting to love the electric response. I know the 4CS forks are not great for serious track riding, and the softer EX springs even less so.

My questions is: if I crank the compression/rebound/pre-load on my EX suspension, could I do some lazy MX riding? Or would I be bottoming out and blowing out my knees? I'm about 155 lbs before gear.

Oded

The rear shock dialed all the way is still quite soft. My suspension expert and I noticed that the compression and rebound adjusters don't have much effect. The front is a bit better in that regard.
I do enduro only, so it fits me well.

However, these are quality suspensions, that in the right hands can be tuned to your liking.

Search the forum, tuning them has been done many times.

Jon

So how much softer is the EX than the MX?

And for valving/stroke, I'm not as familiar with air-fork tuning... is it still an orifice for low speed compression and spring washers for high speed? Or is there some tomfoolery with non-linear response of a compressible gas?

Tuner

And for valving/stroke, I'm not as familiar with air-fork tuning... is it still an orifice for low speed compression and spring washers for high speed? Or is there some tomfoolery with non-linear response of a compressible gas?

Early MX and EX models came equipped with 4CS front forks and a long reservoir rear shock. Later MXR models came equipped with AER forks and a short reservoir / reduced overall length rear shock and revised linkage. EXR vehicles came outfitted with XPLOR forks and a short reservoir / reduced overall length and reduced stroke (via a thicker bump stop) rear shock. The MXR (with correct serial number shock) has the firmest suspension. Some MXR's had softer valving than intended due to a miss by WP. Please see Phillip regarding details as we had this conversation by phone.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member

You can read your rear spring stiffness written right on the rear spring. The MX spring says "WP 63-265", which means 63 N/mm spring rate and 265mm length. Check yours and let us know. You might have to spin the spring around.

The front spring should be proportional to that on the MX. Here are the MX spring rates:
Re-springing a 2017 Alta Redshift MX (and then revalving too)

The above thread needs updating, as I was supplied with mixed spring rate units (N/mm and kg/mm), but the info is still good enough to get an idea.

Your fork is not an air fork, it is a 4CS spring fork. Same as on the MX, but apparently with different springs and shims. You can spring and valve like an MX, or like an updated MX, which is what I would do.
Factory developed Redshift MX suspension shim stack specs

Top Bottom