How often to check the WP AER48 fork air pressure?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I am new to air forks, if I didn't count mountain bikes. I have never had one on my dirt bike before I got my MXR. I bought the MXR almost 3 months ago, but I haven't adjusted or even checked the pressure since the dealer set it when they unboxed the bike. The fork still seems fine, but I noticed last week it may be getting a little low on pressure. Checking it before every ride seems ridiculous. How often does it really need to be checked?

Fog 25

Philip, I check mine before each ride. Mainly because I used different air pressures for different tracks and temperature and altitude will affect the pressure.
You want to bleed the pressure out with the bleed screws so you have a consistent fill each time out.
I do have friends with air forks on their gas bikes and they never check them.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I should perhaps start checking it every once in a while. I do not yet have a favorite pressure setting, so it is kinda pointless for me to set it to some target. But knowing what pressure works for what track is valuable.

Fog 25

I should perhaps start checking it every once in a while. I do not yet have a favorite pressure setting, so it is kinda pointless for me to set it to some target. But knowing what pressure works for what track is valuable.
What why you check it. Write your starting point down. Ride it for awhile come back and change it up and down a few pounds and see what feels good to you. Once you get a base line setting (favorite pressure) than you can adjust it too what type of terrain you are riding on.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I am going to get an Xtrig rear spring preload adjuster when I revalve my MXR suspension. Then I will be able to play with the rear sag and the front pressure. Right now the damping is so far off that playing with minor spring adjustments is pointless.

Fog 25

I am going to get an Xtrig rear spring preload adjuster when I revalve my MXR suspension. Then I will be able to play with the rear sag and the front pressure. Right now the damping is so far off that playing with minor spring adjustments is pointless.
Look into N2Dirt for your revalve he’s got mine working petty good 👍. Home - N2Dirt Suspension

Reactions: Fod

snydes

Staff member

No offense my friend but how much easier do you need it to be to adjust the sag on these things as is? That Xtrig thing a neat piece and all but seems overkill.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
No offense my friend but how much easier do you need it to be to adjust the sag on these things as is? That Xtrig thing a neat piece and all but seems overkill.
Perhaps you're right. I need to try to do it manually one more time. There is surely a lot of room around this shock.

I just though if I make it easier to do, I would be doing it more often. With the possibility of changing the fork's air pressure easily, it wouldn't hurt to play with the rear spring as well.

snydes

Staff member
Perhaps you're right. I need to try to do it manually one more time. There is surely a lot of room around this shock.

I just though if I make it easier to do, I would be doing it more often. With the possibility of changing the fork's air pressure easily, it wouldn't hurt to play with the rear spring as well.

I suppose it might give you a little more fine adjustment if that is advantageous. I could definitely see it being a big improvement on an ICE bike.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Look into N2Dirt for your revalve he’s got mine working petty good 👍. Home - N2Dirt Suspension
Thank you, Fog. I considered sending my suspension to shops that already got good reviews, but I have some history with and loyalty to Kreft Moto. They just finished tuning an MXR that someone left with them.

The engineer in me would also be kicking himself if I do not try out their Revalve Control. I actually was planning to create my own Revalve Control for the 4CS forks, but I was missing a dyno, a customer base, and a desire to work on customers' bikes, LOL.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Well... So far so good. The Kreft suspension is working. I have been fiddling with the clickers a little, only +/- 1-2 clicks has been enough.

The low-speed damping control is very nice now. I had a nice flow going on Wednesday at a sand track.

I am yet to play with the Revalve Control adjuster. Once I do, I am sure I will be tuning the clickers more.