How do we reflash firmware?

Don Thuren

Hello all!

I see people talking on the forum regarding "reflashing" the firmware, etc...

How do we do this, specifically if our firmware is up to date, but I just want to reload it?

Thanks!

:)

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Hello all!

I see people talking on the forum regarding "reflashing" the firmware, etc...

How do we do this, specifically if our firmware is up to date, but I just want to reload it?

Thanks!

:)

You need to have the older firmware files to do this. "Reloading FW" may not occur as MT will detect that the bike is at the latest revision of FW. Specifically in your situation it would be the DCCP. Having the entire FW "sack" isnt ideal as you can have possible CAN disconnects while flashing and cause components of the vehicle to become inoperative.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Your vin isn't showing because you dont have the recommended_fw.json file in the right spot. Its not really required, though, so don't worry about it. The loader tab is much more useful.

Based on the mcu firmware versions listed in your loader tab, I can tell you already have 1.5.1 RC1 loaded.

At the beginning of the firmware flash process, multitool checks your bike to see what version is there. If the version you're trying to upload to the bike already exists on the bike, it will skip it.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
The firmware upload process either fails in the middle of the process or is fully successful. I have yet to see a case where firmware successfully uploads to the bike but the firmware on the bike get corrupted in some way. On numerous occasions i've seen the firmware upload process fail either immediately or part way through, and this seemed to be caused by the CANUSB adapter not jiving with the USB pass through in virtual box. ALL of those sort of issues have happened to me while using an Ubuntu virtual machine, and it seems like maybe the canbus baud rate is screwed up in that USB pass-through. I've never had it happen using Ubuntu as a dedicated OS.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Your vin isn't showing because you dont have the recommended_fw.json file in the right spot. Its not really required, though, so don't worry about it. The loader tab is much more useful.

You can bypass that .json by manually loading your VIN into the bike (Which then does the math to figure out what bike you have) it was meant for production purposes and help dealers install the correct FW packages when bikes came into service.

Seems like you need something older for the DCCP. Might have something...