Here's an interesting Battery.. Any ideas?

Edabdo

OK folks, Now that @OneLapper has assisted me in my Alta repair I am about to tear into the battery of the kid that got me hooked on these bikes to begin with.
This is a very interesting dilemma and story goes like this...
Bike was bought new from a dealer in WNY, Kid who owns it worked at the dealer. He had to replace a broken countershaft when it was fairly new but no other issues... until now..
Bike had no codes until about October when a 35-36 showed up. I was going to look at it with the dealer software that I had at the time and see if we could clear the codes once the battery was charged but owner broke his foot and put the bike away and it sat until December.
I went to his house to reset the codes in December and he decided to charge the battery up before I got there but it would not take a charge and showed "V-Cell timeout" on the LCD. I did not have the engineering software at that time so went back as I was taking my battery to CT to see Onelapper and saw what you see here. Today we took the battery out and I am about to open it up but before I do would like to know if anyone has seen this type of battery failure yet?

IMG_20200118_111818063.jpg

IMG_20200118_114709546.jpg

IMG_20200118_113145533.jpg

IMG_20200118_113200899.jpg

IMG_20200118_114243362.jpg

IMG_20200118_114609857.jpg

IMG_20200103_113314876.jpg

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Hopefully someone from Alta can chime in here, or @Mark911 has some insight.

I wonder if it's related to an issue with the BCU, especially since the code is listed under the BCU.

I have one available, but there will be some work needed to swap it out.

snydes

Staff member
That's another new one. Edabdo you get all the interesting ones. R pack? Only winging out guesses here but since the entire module is not communicating with the BCU then my first suspect would be the little daughterboard/BRD/whatever it's called that clips on the side of the module. If it's an R pack module 0 is on the bottom so all you should have to do initially is pop off that bottom cover and have a look for anything obvious.

Edabdo

That's another new one. Edabdo you get all the interesting ones. R pack? Only winging out guesses here but since the entire module is not communicating with the BCU then my first suspect would be the little daughterboard/BRD/whatever it's called that clips on the side of the module. If it's an R pack module 0 is on the bottom so all you should have to do initially is pop off that bottom cover and have a look for anything obvious.
Agree. I'm hoping that maybe it came disconnected just to make it easy on me! Lol.

snydes

Staff member
The only other red flag I can see at this point is when doing the math on the dash screenshot for the module voltages, the voltage of that ghost module is significantly lower than the rest. So whether that's a result of the lack of communication to that module or an indicator of an entirely different problem is anybody's guess. What that would mean however is even if it was something easy, that module will still require manual charging/balancing before it could be put back in service.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Probably a loose screw rolling around in there. (Hey, I hear it can happen!) If you pick up the bike and shake it, does it make a rattling noise? (Super scientific method for finding loose screws.)