Help with my road trip

Geci

Hi all, I have a road trip coming up in a short few days to Utah and Arizona. I'll be driving down from Niagara Falls, Canada and I am looking for some awesome places to ride. This is strictly a dirt biking trip so I can travel to any location in or out of these states. I enjoy all sorts of terrains from tracks to single trails to technical climbs. Also I've never ridden in sand dunes so that's definitely on my to do list. I currently do not own sand tires and I was wondering if its possible to do without ?

Anyways, if there are few locations that you think I should check out please comment below!

Thanks.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! When will you be in Arizona? I hope I am there at that time, we could ride together.

Either way, you should visit the Glamis sand dunes! Although maybe there are some sand dunes in Utah too, you should talk to @schwankl and @snydes.

Which bike will you be on? I am pretty sure you will need sand tires for the dunes.

snydes

Staff member
I was in southern Utah back in September and rode at the Coral Pink Sand Dunes Park. Probably the most fun I’ve had on a dirt bike in my life. You want a full paddle here, that I can say for sure. I went in with a sand knobby and regretted it. I had some additional pictures and information in this thread;

Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Utah

I also had very good service with the local hospitals and surgery centers.

Geci

@Philip No dates yet except for our departure which is feb 4th. About 3 days of driving to Arizona. I'll let you know though.
Of course I'll be on the Alta, I sold my other bike when I got this :). My friend and gf will be on Yamahas. Glamis is on our list of places already!
@snydes Ok I'll purchase one.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
@Philip No dates yet except for our departure which is feb 4th. About 3 days of driving to Arizona. I'll let you know though.
Sweet! I love road trips.

I will be in Lake Havasu City starting Feb 8. You are welcomed to stop at my place overnight, or over several nights. I have Feb 9-11 off, I can show you my local trails. You can join me at a motocross practice on Feb 9th and 10th.

Geci

You are welcomed to stop at my place overnight, or over several nights.
That's awesome of you! Thanks.
I can show you my local trails. You can join me at a motocross practice on Feb 9th and 10th.
Girlfriend just started riding a season ago and upgraded to her current bike a yz125 this year. Our seasons are a lot shorter up here so she doesn't have a lot of seat time. What I am trying to say here is that she's gonna be pretty slow and lot of patience is required :)

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Should you make it out to Western Washington, I would be happy to show you a few of my favorite places to ride too.:ricky:

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have sent you a PM with the details and my phone number. It would be great to meet another Alta owner. Perhaps convert your friend and girlfriend while at it, LOL!

leeo45

Geezer in denial
@Geci, A reminder that many locations with large sand dunes will require flags on the bikes and it's a smart precaution even if they are not required. Definitely find out ahead of time. Sometimes you can buy them locally, however I wouldn't depend on it or you may waste a day trying to find them.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Glamis is a bucket list destination - any motorhead MUST visit

I recommend Oldsmobile hill at night ;)
LHC/Kingman AZ area has some good riding if a local were to guide you :)
Desert Bar in Parker, AZ is a must if your there Blank
Gooseberry Mesa area in Utah has some epic scenery not found many places

**EDIT** - EXPECT A DRAMTIC BATTERY RANGE DROP AT GLAMIS

schwankl

MXR and EXR both made the 30+mi devils racetrack loop with 210lb dudes on them, and our camp was 1-2mi off the trail. Takes 1.5hr or so non-stop, but cool arches and pictographs to see along the way. 5mi of hell is about a 20mi loop - read up on them - that one is pretty technical.

gprix1

If you're going to be passing through or near Kingman, AZ send me a PM and I'll take you out on some amazing single track here. I have a race Feb 16-17 but any I should be available just about any other weekend.

Geci

Well, the trip got delay by a few days but here are some of the locations we are planning on visiting. Maybe not so much in Utah because the temps are a bit low. I'll try to update this post about our current location and hopefully some of you will come ride with us!
Road Map.jpg

Geci

I forgot. I picked up some flags for the dunes but could not find any axle block flag holders. Does anyone know of any stores in Phoenix that would sell em?
Can I mount the flag poles to my front forks? Worst case scenario... ?

snydes

Staff member
I've heard some guys will fasten them to the back of a chest protector. Don't know if I like the sound of that but in a pinch....