Help! New Redshift EXR- Cannot charge

craigunger

Hi all,
Noob here but i need some help. I just got my EXR and i cannot charge it.
when i plug the charger into the bike it says "Connect AC outlet"
When i plug the charger into the wall, nothing happens. I know the outlet is live as i have tried with cell phone chargers

Note (and this might be the issue right here who knows) the charger i got from the dealer only has the 4 plug (dryer plug) config, when i told the dealer i didn't have that outlet he asked me to order the below adapter which i have since received and attached but even though i can plug it into the wall, it still isn't charging.

AC WORKS Locking Adapter Household Plug 15 Amp NEMA 5-15P to 4-Prong 30 Amp Locking L14-30R (2 Hots Bridged)-AD515L1430 - The Home Depot.

Thanks,
Craig

bluefxstc

Did you click on the GFCI (yellow box in the cord)? It should have a green LED illuminated if it is the same as my standard charger. When you first plug it in it will be disabled and you have to click it on so the charger is powered.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
What Blue said was exactly my first guess too. However if you are still having issues, there are a couple of us who live in the Puget sound area who should be able to help you out.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Hi all,
Noob here but i need some help. I just got my EXR and i cannot charge it.
when i plug the charger into the bike it says "Connect AC outlet"
When i plug the charger into the wall, nothing happens. I know the outlet is live as i have tried with cell phone chargers

Note (and this might be the issue right here who knows) the charger i got from the dealer only has the 4 plug (dryer plug) config, when i told the dealer i didn't have that outlet he asked me to order the below adapter which i have since received and attached but even though i can plug it into the wall, it still isn't charging.

AC WORKS Locking Adapter Household Plug 15 Amp NEMA 5-15P to 4-Prong 30 Amp Locking L14-30R (2 Hots Bridged)-AD515L1430 - The Home Depot.

Thanks,
Craig

You will not be able to use that particular adapter, since it is bridged. (“2 hots bridged”).

However, you can build your own adapter from parts at Home Depot. Take a look at the following thread, which has the proper diagram. I built a couple of these, and they are pretty simple. You just need a standard 3-prong appliance power cable (the 5-15p) and a L14-30 female plug. You will only wire 3 of the 4 blades of the L14-30, per the diagram. Note that the W blade is not used per the middle diagram.

240v female to 110v male adapter

https://altaownersforum.com/attachments/1528976851791-png.494/1566775701045.png

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
There was someone here who had some for sale a while back, but I think they may have left the forum...

If nothing presents itself, I can assist you with building one as I have successfully built one for myself already. Parts from home Depot total about $50.00 and assembly time is about 15 minutes.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
You will not be able to use that particular adapter, since it is bridged. (“2 hots bridged”).

However, you can build your own adapter from parts at Home Depot. Take a look at the following thread, which has the proper diagram. I built a couple of these, and they are pretty simple. You just need a standard 3-prong appliance power cable (the 5-15p) and a L14-30 female plug. You will only wire 3 of the 4 blades of the L14-30, per the diagram. Note that the W blade is not used per the middle diagram.

https://altaownersforum.com/attachments/1528976851791-png.494/View attachment 3642
+1

Here is this Home Depot adapter pictured in this post:

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Super simple to make your own. Most of the L14-30R receptacles are labeled with each part (X, Y, W, G) so it is hard to screw up.

I bought this one on Amazon, for $13.

L14-30R 30 Amps 125/250V 4 Prong... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077HQ6BD9/?tag=sce0f-20

Similar part is available at home depot, but they run closer to $40. You will also need a standard appliance cord to complete this. Take the plug apart (usually a couple of screws) route the end of the cable through the back cover, then attach to the correct prongs. They usually just pinch the wires between two small plates. So stick the stripped end into the hole and tighten down the side screw for that hole. Make sure each wire is pinched between the small plates.

The green wire goes to “G”
The black wire goes to “X”
The White wire goes to “Y”
Nothing goes to “W”

Button everything up. They usually have little tabs, so you can only assemble them one way.

Here are some pics to make it a bit clearer. Note on this model that you can pretty clearly see the W X Y G labels for where the wires go.

1566778982650.jpg
1566779054019.jpg

1566779177394.jpg

1566779264607.jpg

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Are you switching run switch “on” after everything is connected
The error message he is getting indicates the charger is not seeing signal from the grid side, communication between bike and charger appears to be fine with the run switch set correctly.

I have seen this same error message on my bike when I have forgotten to plug in my charger or push the button on the GFCI.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I also have a couple made up and tested, (I was making some of differing lengths), if you still need one. But @Redwolf is closer. I would have to ship from Cali. If you want one, drop me a PM. Or anyone else that needs one, I guess. I have 3 extra.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I also have a couple made up and tested, (I was making some of differing lengths), if you still need one. But @Redwolf is closer. I would have to ship from Cali. If you want one, drop me a PM. Or anyone else that needs one, I guess. I have 3 extra.
Shipping is probably just as fast, and a bit cheaper than me. I may be close according to the map, but the little puddles between us complicate matters. Then there's the traffic....

craigunger

Ok thanks Redwolf i will get it from C5tor. I really appreciate everyone's helping and jumping in. What a wonderful community. I wish i had a bit more to contribute but very happy to learn from you all!

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Ok thanks Redwolf i will get it from C5tor. I really appreciate everyone's helping and jumping in. What a wonderful community. I wish i had a bit more to contribute but very happy to learn from you all!
We expect ride reports with pictures once your up and running!:ricky: