Help, Broke my bike :( ** Update FIXED! **

Metzger

Farting around today on my track and broke the rear brake mount tabs, which appear to be part of the frame 😟 Hopefully I’m wrong.... anyone know if this is a replaceable part or am I going to need a good aluminum welding shop....

ED25BFBC-BB0F-4A78-9C00-03A1B0EEC2F4.jpeg

8A32AAEF-09B4-441F-880E-97F1C0877DDE.jpeg

Metzger

Looks like I’m $hit out of luck. Wish they’d have made these mounts part of the cover and not the subframe 😢

0074A88B-FF07-481A-B461-5A0C91BF8788.png

snydes

Staff member
@OneLapper broke his off some time back as well. @Don Thuren made a batch of braces that adds a good bit of strength to the rear brake mounting.
Rear brake master cylinder mount. Has it been broken?
I’d definitely look to add something similar after your repair. I’m sure a good welder can fix this as strong or stronger, but I’d just question the vulnerability of any of the electronics on the bike before proceeding welding on it all assembled. Might not be an issue, but I’d want to be sure first.

rayivers

I fixed a similar situation on an engine case screw. I JB Welded the broken threaded piece back on, chased out the threads, then coated them with JB Weld and put in a Heli-Coil insert (I seriously doubt it will break in that location again). Welding is better if done properly, but strong enough is strong enough. :) After that I'd highly recommend Don's TCI brake support, real nice.

enjoythesilenc

On the brighter side, you didn't lose the tab remnants;)

I crashed when my cracked tab broke during a ride and I didn't find out until i overshot the corner due to no rear brake. It was on a YZ and only one of the tabs was busted.

This may be the perfect excuse for you to migrate to a LH rear brake.