Harley's Electric Motorcycle

privateer703

AOF Addict

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Un-effing-real.

They obviously wrote this before Harley backed out, and the editor is too stupid to do any research into Alta.

Last paragraph:

For the moment, we're still in the dark as the LiveWire's performance and range figures, but we're expecting big things given the long gestation of this project and the partnership with Alta Motors, one of the industry's leading electric motorcycle developers.

privateer703

AOF Addict
I made the switch from HD to Victory back in '06 (my sportster has become a long term hard tail bobber project) and now picking up an Alta. My garage is full of motorcycles from defunct companies. Or at least I hope only half of my bikes are.

Slayer

HD is using the same slow roll out w/the LW as Chevy did w/the Volt. Build interest, delay introduction, and then eventually bring it to market. I assume then see interest that tails off quickly. Profitable innovation in the US automotive and motorcycle industry is seemingly dead w/perhaps Tesla being the exception. "You go Caveman"

p0wn

Check again, Tesla was profitable last quarter.

I think it's some funny money. I'm not sure they actually made profit, according to recent articles.

It's also incredibly hard to enter the vehicle business and become successful without huge amounts of money. Tesla has marketed itself well and is founded by the dude that founded paypal and fuckin has shit tons of not only personal money but also huge pocketed connections.

They're also targeting a much wider demographic - people who drive cars ... as opposed to people who ride dirt bikes(the supermoto demo is even smaller). Alta is an enthusiast's motorcycle. The motorcycle business has been on a downward slide since 2006.

Motocross is dying, sadly. It's propped up by energy drinks. If they pull out the sport is fucked . Go over to vital and hear all the whiny ass bitching about the Alta(last year it was 'if it was cheaper I'd buy...' this year it's 'ohh the range, the sound the blah...'). These are not the most intelligent of folks nor are they all that welcoming of change.

If all that mattered was making the best dirt bike I'd say Alta has done it. There's lots of intangibles though. Having a scrooge mcduck sized stockpile of money is what they need at the end of the day. Hard to be a loss leader in such an expensive volatile industry.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Un-effing-real.

They obviously wrote this before Harley backed out, and the editor is too stupid to do any research into Alta.

Last paragraph:

For the moment, we're still in the dark as the LiveWire's performance and range figures, but we're expecting big things given the long gestation of this project and the partnership with Alta Motors, one of the industry's leading electric motorcycle developers.
WTF!? I have to give credit where its due though. Due to QC issues, owning a 98 sportster helped make me the mechanic I am today. What gets me is, HD gives credit to the Alta after they abandoned the venture.