Had it so good! Track with high speed charging power outlets denied me after a couple years.

Fod

So today the Hungry valley / Gorman track I ride at which is state run decided to end letting me use their 208V power outlets. Its a shame because they were excited when @Fog 25 and I got our electric bikes back in April of 2018 that they were going to boost the voltage up to 220/240 for us and add more power outlets. There are a few kids also on the new KTM/Husky electric bikes that wont have power anymore. Unfortunately my mini van is not one that will handle my bike, my kids 2 bikes, all the gear and now a generator without pulling a trailer (Not an option). We are moving in August to Arkansas and no moto near there so I was going to keep my bike at my parents here in California to ride when I visit but now I am not knowing if its even worth keeping the bike anymore...and no way I will go back to a gas bike....These MXRs are such a joy to ride! I wrote a letter to the track facility to reconsider closing the power outlets. Our bikes are the future...why cant tracks let them?!?! Does anyone else have the luxury of riding at a track with 208V+ outlets?

bluefxstc

So today the Hungry valley / Gorman track I ride at which is state run

Did you offer to pay them to use the outlet? As a state run track I can kind of understand it. That doesn't mean that I like it or agree with it, but by letting you use the outlet for free, they are effectively paying for your fuel which they do not do for anyone with a gas powered bike. As a state run facility they have to treat everyone equally. In the interest of PC, I can understand why the would shut it off or want to charge you.

Fod

Did you offer to pay them to use the outlet? As a state run track I can kind of understand it. That doesn't mean that I like it or agree with it, but by letting you use the outlet for free, they are effectively paying for your fuel which they do not do for anyone with a gas powered bike. As a state run facility they have to treat everyone equally. In the interest of PC, I can understand why the would shut it off or want to charge you.
That's funny you said that, so in the letter I wrote I mentioned that I charge for 40 minutes which I assume is around 2.5 kwh which I said should be around 40 cents. I told them I am willing to pay a couple bucks just as a convenience fee so they are now making money! Hopefully that gets them to reconsider! Ha! Maybe it will be like a laundromat or parking meter and I'l have to bring quarters!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, offer them some scheme where they would get paid fairly for the little electricity that you are using without them having to install power meters toll collecting machines. Like a flat fee per year, which will probably be what, $25 - $50 bucks? Once they realize that they are not losing money with you, the rest should be easy.

snydes

Staff member
Definitely giving them those basic figures on how much electricity you would use on a typical visit will help. Personally a $5.00 upcharge per visit to use their outlets is fair in my mind, they actually are making out a little and the convenience factor of not having to deal with a generator is totally worth it.

Fod

Agreed! I like the yearly amount so that I dont have to bring cash with me every time. I will bring that up if they get back to me! Oh the joys working with a state run program instead of private entity....(n)

Fod

Funny and not serious but @Fog 25 said that if they dont budge he could park his sprinter and generator next to the watch tower and run his generator there! Hahaha That would so piss them off! Haha! Dont worry we wont do that....just messing around....plus he is upgrading his generator soon to the honda which is whisper quite.

Fog 25

I talked to our good friend up there today and he told me that we were approved for use of electrical outlets by the previous administrators. A year ago they even approved the installation of a larger transformer to bump the voltage from 208 to 240v. The new state rangers are on a little power trip right now. Might be some new news on some external power for us in the next few weeks. If not my generator might get a little louder. LOL 🙉🙉🙉

wwmotors

Here in Germany I ride in a MX hall in winter and i pay 3€ per day for power, which is pretty much the amount it costs, when You ride 2 hours net. Some outdoor tracks have power and also let me charge, sometimes without charging me for power, but i offered it, to pay. I see a problem, when there are more E-MX riders. I dont think, that they are willing to invest for a few riders in a better powernet infrastructure, because when there are 3 or more, the poor fuses they have, will not stand the power! So the future of fast stands on wobbly feet, because of a trivial problem! If there is no power, I have a generator in my Ducato with 200kg!!! and 6KW.

snydes

Staff member
Funny and not serious but @Fog 25 said that if they dont budge he could park his sprinter and generator next to the watch tower and run his generator there! Hahaha That would so piss them off! Haha! Dont worry we wont do that....just messing around.

That would be my approach! And it would be the loudest open frame generator I could find! :ROFLMAO: