H-D Spins off Livewire to create a new brand

leeo45

Geezer in denial
The company loved and adored by all ALTA owners and fans spins off Livewire into a standalone electric motorcycle brand (10 May 2021). (several links below)

"One of the six pillars of The Hardwire Strategy is to lead in electric – by launching LiveWire as an all-electric brand, we are seizing the opportunity to lead and define the market in EV. With the mission to be the most desirable electric motorcycle brand in the world, LiveWire will pioneer the future of motorcycling, for the pursuit of urban adventure and beyond. LiveWire also plans to innovate and develop technology that will be applicable to Harley-Davidson electric motorcycles in the future." Jochen Zeitz, chairman, president and CEO of Harley-Davidson

The first LiveWire branded motorcycle is scheduled to launch on July 8, 2021 and to premiere at the International Motorcycle Show on July 9, 2021.

H-D Investor News

Livewire.com

TechCrunch Article

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Ford is toying with the idea of spinning out its Bronco and Mustang into unique sub-brands, an idea that the automaker's been kicking around for the past couple of years.

Fiat Chrysler spun off Viper into its own brand, then killed it. They also spun off Dodge Ram trucks into its own Ram brand 10 years ago. But lots of people still keep calling my Ram ProMaster van a Dodge, even though it has never been a Dodge.

I have no idea why they keep messing with brands. Maybe they are trying to shake off some undesirable baggage that comes along with some old brand names.

privateer703

AOF Addict
I still call my 1500 RAM a Dodge.. I always select Dodge from the dropdown menu when searching for parts. I'm not great with change. I get rebranding when it needs it, but when it needs it you usually need a major change in leadership, manufacturing or parts/material supply. Dodge trucks sure did a decade ago, they were not that reliable.
I think HD realizes that the Livewire was not the type of bike most HD fans would appreciate. Idiots should have rebranded with Alta and created a completely new company from the start.