Graphene Battery Tech

Myersavionics

Has anyone done any reading on graphene battery tech? It sounds like it's making a decent comeback as far as usability in commercial products and the possibilities are pretty exciting.

I'm not gonna regurgitate all the things interesting articles have on the subject, so here's a couple of good ones I've read:

1. Samsung
2. What is graphene
3. Wired Article

I think mass commercialization is at least a few years off, but the prospect of what this could mean for the electric motorcycle industry is exciting, to say the least.

Reactions: Fod

Fod

Last article says we may be seeing this soon in our phones....but still a ways away for EV. That is cool though that the buses mentioned early can go 18 KM I believe it said on a capactor charge! I feel this is better for my track riding then the slow charging we currently have. I have put more time "bench racing" then riding since I got the Alta!

Myersavionics

I would expect this to be in phones first as it's lower scale production-wise requirements, but higher market impact/margins. I would then expect to see it utilized in higher-end EV's such as the more expensive Teslas and Lucid. Then, possibly trickle down into Alta to where they can use the production scale attained through prior markets to implement at a reasonable cost. Aggressively thinking, I'd think 2-3 years and more realistically, 3-5 years to sell it to the consumer base.

I would, however, be very interested in the smart people over at Tesla are thinking about how they could test 'graphene balls' within their current cell architecture.

strider

I'm of the mind (having owned Teslas for the last 8 years) that Tesla's move into battery production will slow their adoption of new battery tech. They will have to justify the (huge) capital expenditure of that factory even if new tech comes out. On the flip side, it was their belief that the current production capacity of 2170's wasn't sufficient to meet their needs for Model 3 and PowerWall so they probably viewed it as a necessary evil.