got a Sur Ron yesterday

B. FRANK

bought a sur Ron x black edition, I missed out on the ludicrous edition(only 100 made) , put it together last night and already want more power!! first off it's fun, it's a toy but it is fun, it does 42 mph and gets there pretty quickly. it will wheelie and it's super light, 110 lbs. having said that, I am 6'3 and 270 lbs, this thing is small, the suspension is probably good for a 150 lb person, the seat sucks, and the handlebars are low, however I can ride it on the canal path behind my house and it should be fun in the tight little woods across the street. I've ordered footpeg supports( I'm 270 lbs) , a 21 inch front wheel, 1.5 in bar risers that also move the bars forward and a 3 in. rise bar, 1.5 in. rear suspension lift, and a race tech seat that goes on over the existing seat/battery box which will raise it about 2in. more. I will probably be ordering a light speed 72v battery and charger and a bac 8000 controller which in combo should bring the little bike up over 20 hp, stock is around 8hp. these mods will double the price of the bike and bring the cost up into used Alta MXR range but I think I can get away with riding this on the road. does anyone have any experience with these bikes?

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Yeah, I bought a Light Bee X in summer of 2019 for my son. Did the bar riser thing, brake sensor removal, added fenders, etc. It was a fun little bike, but a little small for my taste as well. Plus my son couldn’t quite keep up with me on some of the trails or track, etc., with me on my MXR. Last year, when my son started getting near 6’ tall, I sold it for $4500 and bought a ‘17 MX for $6k. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade for him, and didn’t have to spend much out of pocket to move to the Alta at the time. (Prices have gone up a bit since, of course.)

Currently have an Oset 24.0R that we picked up to work on trials stuff. It is similar to the Sur-Ron in size, only shorter wheelbase. The Oset has a much smaller battery, and significantly less power than the Sur-Ron. I would say for most scenarios (except trials) the Sur-Ron is a much better bike and value than the Oset. The Sur-Ron is faster, better in the dirt and street.

I still like the Sur-Ron and the Oset, but they aren’t Altas, and don’t really pretend to be. They fill different niches. I wouldn’t ride around my neighborhood parks with the Alta, but I did it all the time with the Sur-ron and Oset.

But as you noted, you can throw just as much money at the little bikes as you can the big ones, and pretty soon, after spending lots of cash, you find you could have just bought an Alta anyway, and saved the time.

B. FRANK

yep. it's gonna get expensive but like you said different niches. I don't have great riding areas around me and when I do travel a few hours to ride I wanna ride all day so I go i.c.e. but for where I live I have two 1 1/2 mile loops of very tight trails with only small hills and I'm thinking with a slight power increase the sur Ron may be the vehicle of choice for there and with a 60 plus mile canal path 100 yards from me the Sur Ron would be good for that too. have fun with the oset, I have a gas gas 300 txt trials bike and it has taught me that fat old men hit the ground hard.

enjoythesilenc

Hey cool but where are you getting all your aftermarket stuff? who sells a 21 inch wheel for it? I have had to DIY all the upgrades for mine as they are mostly unavailable or backlogged 6 months etc

They do have a little overlap with Alta but the bantamweight aspect is different category of fun. Although mine weighs 160# now:muutt:

B. FRANK

race spec Sur Ron for riser, footpeg brace, and seat. milk racing for 21 inch wheel. modern bike for 3"rise handle bar, eBay for rear suspension lift and I'm still up in the air about battery and controller, Asi's bac 8000 seems cool but apparently the guys a jerk and takes forever to ship items and lies to everyone, so I'm looking into light speed 72v battery and their nucular controller but right now I'm still cruising the forums looking for suggestions. any tips?

enjoythesilenc

ERT BAC is bad news but Teznik or ebikezilla BAC might be better. Its all incestuous as ebikezilla might be ERT stuff...

I waited 9 months for Nucular but its very good. Light speed is probably ok for the battery. Might not be that far from your location, actually.

There are options from europe which actually get good reviews for BAC. Also Zemso in europe for the battery upgrades if you want to do some searching. A bunch of russian guys are crazy about these bikes and are all into death metal and the occult. I'm exaggerating but search sintech controller for the surron

mr.skywalker

Emotobros seems like the best up and coming group state side right now for BAC but they only have the 4000 so if you want crazy power it might not be enough. I went with them and should be getting my controller Monday. Any BAC seller has pretty significant wait times but I havent heard much about others than ERT complaints

Sintech has the shortest lead time(1-2months) other than if you can get the emoto next batch of controllers. The biggest advantage of the sintech in my eyes is that they will literally set it up for you by remote tuning but a little limited in what you can tune and display options. Crazy good support from what Ive heard, I was on their waitlist before the BAC4000 became available and saved me about $300 vs the sintech and I only want 9-10kw so it meets that goal easily

Nucular has the potential to be the best well known option for cheap($600) but wait time is 6-9 months. Im actually on a wait list for that still so once they let me know its ready I'll probably get it and if I get a second surron or just sell it but it seems like a great simple controller

B. FRANK

ordered light speed 72v 30ah battery, light speed asi bac 8000 controller package and a 72 v 2-12 amp adjustable charger. I went with the smaller battery because it drops in without any battery compartment modifications. larger batteries are taller and require battery box lid to be raised or removed and I don't want to lose this seat that fits over existing seat and battery box. still to come is a 21 inch front wheel, wider footpegs, footpeg relocation bracket(now that bike is taller the kickstand is almost useless. this bracket lowers the footpegs and kickstand 2 inches), front fender and mc knobbies.

KIMG0184.JPG

KIMG0185.JPG

Butch

Poseur
I always wonder about tire sizes that are... less popular. Suppose you have that Chevy SSR thing with 20” rears? Suppose you just are a donk sorta guy? Girl?

inquiring minds want to know.

B. FRANK

still waiting on the 72v set up to arrive. right now I'm running the supermoto wheels and tires, have put a Ktm rear fender on, a bicycle front fender, stiffer fork spring with a spacer, stiffened the rear suspension and upgraded to a primary chain drive. the primary chain is loud so I got a shim kit to align the chain and I am waiting on a motion pro chain alignment tool to arrive. this thing is a blast although I haven't had much time in the dirt yet due to snow and then snow melt. I live on the Delaware river and ride on the islands usually have to cross three inches of water, last few weeks it's been three feet deep so street riding and canal path only. I have passed a few police on the road and no one seemed to notice that it is totally illegal so......so far, so good.