Gobbler Getter National Enduro Report from Alta Rider

evh1

2019 RedShift EXR - 440 miles on bike - 70 mile race at race pace
I just rode the 70 mile Gobbler Getter National Enduro this weekend in Maplesville, AL and can report a resounding "Oh, heck yeah!" for the bike. There were the usual pro names there plus 550 amateurs ! Lots of RV's, bikes and the trail was well developed to say the least when my row, 101, went out. I rode the first 4 sections - 40 miles - and pulled into the reset area with a flashing final 3 bars. Section 5 was 10 miles, so I called it good and jumped on my Husky 501 to finish. The bike seemed way more nimble in the tight stuff than the 260 lbs would feel. With primo traction throughout the course due to a rain the day before (no dust even with 550 bikes !!), the torque the electric engine gave me was perfect and the hills were not an issue -just tractored up them with no drama and I was focused on line and position with no clutch, gear, motor bog etc that can ruin a hill climb.
Problems were few. One, the regen action of the bike made free wheeling tough -alot more noticeable engine type braking, and thus rear brake sliding into the tight corners/trees - typical woods terrain technique - was hard to work around, so I was much more front wheel braking dependent and the usual flow of woods running was more point and shoot. Trying to find that little spot in the throttle slack that provides a bit of free wheel was too hard to do in tight demanding sections when you're negotiating between trees and roots etc. Open area turns were easier to catch and brake slide normally.
Two, the throttle is restrictive enough that it gets pretty tiring in long tight areas and I had to shake out the wrist sometimes. Short of lubing the cables good and the throttle tube, I don't know how to prevent this mechanical/electrical rheostat scenario.
I got a lot of inquiries of - cool, will you make it? what's it feel like in the tight stuff - from riders as well as a ton of thumbs up from spectators as I whirred by! At the gas stops, I'd run up to the front re-stage area and tell the course worker, "I don't need no stinkin' gas" and they'd let me run on. The workers at the time checks would freak out as I "snuck up on them" as one person put it with no sound, but to a man they were encouraging. I saw my dealer, Max Motorsports of Pelham, AL at one section and he was impressed and happy to see me that far.
Performance wise, I cannot say enough how capable the bike/motor is...we all know this of course, but it worked out really so well on a true woods test. I'm stoked for days. This bike is the real deal. If and when battery length gets lengthened, a full race is possible. As it is, at less than race pace, I don't think many of us would ever ride 70 miles on a woods jaunt for fun. 40 miles is a bunch and is prolly 2.5+ hours of solid running, so it's safe to say the bike can run as long as you can for a fun day in the woods. If you broke it up once with a 1.5 hr lunch re-hydrate and threw it on the charger then, well there would be no worries on battery life whatsoever.
Oh yeah, I pulled the holeshot for my row by a ton !!

autohog

2019 RedShift EXR - 440 miles on bike - 70 mile race at race pace
I just rode the 70 mile Gobbler Getter National Enduro this weekend in Maplesville, AL and can report a resounding "Oh, heck yeah!" for the bike. There were the usual pro names there plus 550 amateurs ! Lots of RV's, bikes and the trail was well developed to say the least when my row, 101, went out. I rode the first 4 sections - 40 miles - and pulled into the reset area with a flashing final 3 bars. Section 5 was 10 miles, so I called it good and jumped on my Husky 501 to finish. The bike seemed way more nimble in the tight stuff than the 260 lbs would feel. With primo traction throughout the course due to a rain the day before (no dust even with 550 bikes !!), the torque the electric engine gave me was perfect and the hills were not an issue -just tractored up them with no drama and I was focused on line and position with no clutch, gear, motor bog etc that can ruin a hill climb.
Problems were few. One, the regen action of the bike made free wheeling tough -alot more noticeable engine type braking, and thus rear brake sliding into the tight corners/trees - typical woods terrain technique - was hard to work around, so I was much more front wheel braking dependent and the usual flow of woods running was more point and shoot. Trying to find that little spot in the throttle slack that provides a bit of free wheel was too hard to do in tight demanding sections when you're negotiating between trees and roots etc. Open area turns were easier to catch and brake slide normally.
Two, the throttle is restrictive enough that it gets pretty tiring in long tight areas and I had to shake out the wrist sometimes. Short of lubing the cables good and the throttle tube, I don't know how to prevent this mechanical/electrical rheostat scenario.
I got a lot of inquiries of - cool, will you make it? what's it feel like in the tight stuff - from riders as well as a ton of thumbs up from spectators as I whirred by! At the gas stops, I'd run up to the front re-stage area and tell the course worker, "I don't need no stinkin' gas" and they'd let me run on. The workers at the time checks would freak out as I "snuck up on them" as one person put it with no sound, but to a man they were encouraging. I saw my dealer, Max Motorsports of Pelham, AL at one section and he was impressed and happy to see me that far.
Performance wise, I cannot say enough how capable the bike/motor is...we all know this of course, but it worked out really so well on a true woods test. I'm stoked for days. This bike is the real deal. If and when battery length gets lengthened, a full race is possible. As it is, at less than race pace, I don't think many of us would ever ride 70 miles on a woods jaunt for fun. 40 miles is a bunch and is prolly 2.5+ hours of solid running, so it's safe to say the bike can run as long as you can for a fun day in the woods. If you broke it up once with a 1.5 hr lunch re-hydrate and threw it on the charger then, well there would be no worries on battery life whatsoever.
Oh yeah, I pulled the holeshot for my row by a ton !!
Awesome!! Can you give more details about what map or maps you were using most of the time. Also, did you use map 4 for the holeshot? Thanks. Really wish there was a clutch to override regen.

Oded

The regen also bothers me. When I got my EX, it had SM maps on it for some reason. Map 1 had no reagen at all, I loved it. You can just cruise when the throttle is off. Map 4 had so much reagen that I could go steep descends without touching the brake.

When I updated the bike's software, the maps changed to the EX's maps. Not a lot of difference between 1-4 compared to the SM's.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Great report. Glad to hear the bike performed so well. Which mode were you using (1-4)? I have ridden that enduro a number of times so I have a good idea of the terrain. Depending on how they routed the course, some of the hills can be a challenge; i.e. the club will put a spectator area along the hill to watch the carnage! Now we just need a generator that we can put on the gas trucks that will charge the battery about 30% in ten minutes. :D

BTW, I don't know if you have ever tried it, but I put a solid rear disk on all of my 4-stroke KTMs to help with brake feel and modulation with my size 13 boots. This helps me avoid some of the symptoms you are describing with the combined engine braking and rear brake application in tight woods. I haven't swapped the disc on my EXR (yet) but I have one in the parts box for the ALTA.

Oded

BTW, I don't know if you have ever tried it, but I put a solid rear disk on all of my 4-stroke KTMs to help with brake feel and modulation with my size 13 boots. This helps me avoid some of the symptoms you are describing with the combined engine braking and rear brake application in tight woods. I haven't swapped the disc on my EXR (yet) but I have one in the parts box for the ALTA.

Best thing to improve rear brake feel is adding a left hand rear brake kit.

evh1

I used Map 3 for the start, 4 is too abrupt, a la loop out. I stayed in map 2 except for flat transitions and big uphills where I changed to map 3. The traction was so good I could get away with it. I rode map 1 as I got below "half a tank" and realized I could have ridden more with it plus as I got more worn out its softer touch was perfect. Regen as said before is about the same thru all maps.
I have a LHRB coming and agree with you on it's better modulation. Plus adding alot of play in it before engagement may assist. Had not thought of the solid rear disk and that's another good idea...plus better in the mud.

autohog

I used Map 3 for the start, 4 is too abrupt, a la loop out. I stayed in map 2 except for flat transitions and big uphills where I changed to map 3. The traction was so good I could get away with it. I rode map 1 as I got below "half a tank" and realized I could have ridden more with it plus as I got more worn out its softer touch was perfect. Regen as said before is about the same thru all maps.
I have a LHRB coming and agree with you on it's better modulation. Plus adding alot of play in it before engagement may assist. Had not thought of the solid rear disk and that's another good idea...plus better in the mud.
Thanks for all the details